The multiplayer shooter to end all multiplayer shooters, Counter-Strike, is in the midst of a major update. In fact, the Counter Strike: Source update is so substantial, it’s currently being beta tested.
Valve developed the improvements and new features with Hidden Path Studios, and currently, all beta testing spots have been filled. So if you're itching to try out the new and improved CS, and you didn't make it into the beta, you'll just have to wait until Valve rolls out the update, whenever that may be. Hit the break to see what additions the update is introducing.
- 144 achievements added
- New lifetime player stats and summary screens
- New match player stats and summary screens
- New end of round display with MVP and interesting fact about a player
- Updated scoreboard with new icons, visual style, MVP stars, and avatar pictures
- New cinematic death camera
- New domination and revenge system
- Added avatar icons to voice chat, scoreboard, and end of round display
- Incorporated many source engine updates
Here’s yet another example of why Valve is so beloved. They continue to support the franchises that fans adore when they could just as easily let them languish and focus solely on future titles. Then again, I can already hear it now: “Funny. For a second there I thought you said a major update for Counter-Strike: Source. Is that the new name of Half-Life 2: Episode 3?”
How's the update treating you?