The rumors are, sadly, true. Nintendo of America has delayed the release of Metroid: Other M from June until the end of the summer. Metroid: Other M will now be released on August 31.
Sin & Punishment: Star Successor has also been given a new release date: June 27.
Metroid: Other M's move to August 31 does appear to remove one theory from the table, however. Gamers were speculating The Legend of Zelda would no longer be released in 2010, removing a heavy-hitter from Nintendo's holiday release schedule. The theory went that Metroid: Other M, despite being nearly finished, would take the place of The Legend of Zelda.
While details on The Legend of Zelda remain unclear, Metroid: Other M isn't a holiday game.
Nintendo also nailed down dates for a number of upcoming first and third-party games:
- Photo Dojo -- Nintendo DSiWare, May 10
- Earthworm Jim -- Nintendo DSiWare, Gameloft, May 10
- BIT.TRIP RUNNER -- WiiWare, Aksys Games, May 17
- Looksley’s Line Up -- Nintendo DSiWare, May 17
- Frogger Returns -- Nintendo DSiWare, Konami, May 17
- Metal Torrent -- Nintendo DSiWare, May 24
- X-Scape -- Nintendo DSiWare, May 31
- Hero of Sparta -- Nintendo DSiWare, Gameloft, May 31
- Flametail -- Nintendo DSiWare, June 7
- A Kappa’s Trail -- Nintendo DSiWare, June 14