We knew it was going to be a big month for Activision's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. How big? The NPD Group numbers are officially in for November: Modern Warfare 2 sold 6,070,000 copies across both Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 last month. PC numbers aren't available.
It was a massive month for both hardware and software, though. Even though the NPD Group notes the industry was down overall year-over-year, 2008 was a particular impressive year for video games and the downed economy has proven more difficult for games than expected.
Plenty of other games showed impressively in November, including:
- 360 -- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Activision, 4.20M
- PS3 -- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Activision, 1.87M
- Wii -- New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Nintendo, 1.39M
- 360 -- Assassin's Creed II, Ubisoft, 794,700
- 360 -- Left 4 Dead 2, Electronic Arts, 744,000
- Wii -- Wii Sports Resort, Nintendo, 720,200
- Wii -- Wii Fit Plus, Nintendo, 679,000
- PS3 -- Assassin' Creed II, Ubisoft, 448,400
- 360 -- Dragon Age: Origins, Electronic Arts, 362,100
- Wii -- Mario Kart w/ Wheel, Nintendo, 315,000
Modern Warfare 2 broke an impressive milestone, as well, achieving the highest first-month sales for a video game -- ever. The record was previously held by Microsoft's Halo 3. The sci-fi shooter sold 3.3 million copies in a single month when it was released in September 2007.
There's both good and bad news in this month's numbers, says NPD analyst Anita Fazier.
"While this year's top-selling item bested last year's by 283%, it couldn't make up for softness elsewhere," she said. "The top 50 games this year sold 5% less units than did the top 50 last year."