When Epic Mickey comes out in 2010, everyone who thinks Mickey Mouse is lame, by nature, will be proven wrong; as will everyone who thinks great games can't be played on the Nintendo Wii. At a press event today in London, Disney finally blasted out some of the details of the game. Here's what designer Warren Spector (Deus Ex) said:
- Disney recognized that Mickey Mouse games have, by and large, been pretty crappy (except the Kingdom Hearts games) so it was necessary to re-invent the Disney icon. That's whey they turned to Warren Spector.
- Disney's think tank ran across pre-Mickey character Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, and have, apparently, brought him back from the dead to serve as an important character in Epic Mickey.
- Epic Mickey is a "platformer meets RPG/adventure" where painting and using paint thinner are core parts of the gameplay. Innovative enough for you?
- The game-world changes based on your play-style.
- The cartoon like painted world and the "inert" world play into the game.
- Robot versions of Mickey's friends (Donald, Goofy, Pluto, Etc.) appear in the game
- One of the game's setting is The Cartoon Wasteland -- basically, the place half-formed and discarded ideas go.
- The main enemy seems to be something called "The Great Blot."
We have a whole bunch of just released screenshots for you right here. What do you think?