We heard rumors of this back in March, but it's been confirmed: French electronic musicians Daft Punk will be making their video game debut in Activision's upcoming DJ Hero. The duo will be contributing at least 8 tracks to the game, and will appear as playable characters complete with their own venue.
Here are the tracks:
- Daft Punk "Around the World" vs. Young MC "Bust A Move"
- Daft Punk "Da Funk" vs. NASA "Strange Enough ft. Karen O, ODB and Fatlip"
- Daft Punk "Da Funk" vs. Queen "Another One Bites the Dust"
- Daft Punk "Robot Rock" vs. Hashim "Al-Naafiysh (The Soul)" – Produced and mixed by The Scratch Perverts
- Daft Punk "Robot Rock" vs. Queen "We Will Rock You"
- Daft Punk "Short Circuit" vs. Boogie Down Productions "Jack Of Spades"
- Daft Punk "Technologic" vs. Gary Numan "Cars"
- Daft Punk "Television Rules The Nation" vs. No Doubt "Hella Good"
It's going to be a busy year for Daft Punk: The duo has reportedly composed 24 tracks for upcoming sequel Tron Legacy.
Although I hear good things around here at G4 from co-workers who have played DJ Hero, I wonder if it will be that successful. The music game genre in general is suffering pretty heavily right now, and something about pretending to be a DJ just doesn't seem as fun to me as pretending to be a rock star. All the DJs I've ever seen are scrawny, pale dudes with MacBooks and hoodies -- hardly rock gods. Don't get me wrong: I like DJ-style music, but it doesn't seem nearly as dramatic to produce as rock 'n' roll.
But hey, maybe I'm not down with the excitment this game is generating... what do you guys think? Psyched for this one or not?