PC and PlayStation 3 gamers should be getting a real treat in DC Universe Online. This MMO, which plays more like a console action game, features all the great heroes and villains from the DC Universe. Adding to the authenticity are renowned artist Jim Lee and legendary writer Marv Wolfman. Here are some highlights from the DC Universe Online panel at Comic-Con 09.
- Jim Lee found the transition from 2D art to 3D are "jarring". Drawing the backs of objects/characters and adding texture were a challenge for him.
- The dev team is leaving the option open for off-planet adventures. Rann, Thanagar...I'm down!
- There will be a teenage body type for creating sidekick characters. Jim Lee finds the concept of sidekicks "creepy".
- It looks like the game won't play up the "Multiverse" aspect of the DC Universe, though Superman Prime sounds like he'll be popping up later.
- The developers promise that every character in the DCU will make an appearance in the game. I will hold them to that; Doiby Dickles better have a prominent role (not really).
For all the new details that were revealed at Comic-Con 09, be sure to read Patrick Klepek's live blog of the DC Universe Online panel.