The latest issue of Game Informer magazine contains a ton of information about upcoming Activision music game DJ Hero. Below, in bullet-point form, is some of what we learned from the issue:
- Songs in the game are a mix of two existing tracks, mash-ups, if you will.
- Over 100 individual songs have been licensed, allowing DJs to create 70 playable tracks.
- Gameplay centers on hitting the crossfade button at the right time to keep the mix correct while you beat-match with the colored buttons.
- The red button in the middle adds a sample to the mix.
- Controller features an effects knob to add extra flavor.
- The controller spins all the way around -- like a record, baby -- which allows you to scratch during pre-determined scratch sections of tracks. At higher difficulties, scratch sections add to difficulty by requiring you to scratch in certain patterns.
- DJ Shadow contributed at least three tracks to the game and worked as an adviser to the project.
- Along with the "Star Power" like Euphoria mechanic, the game also features a "Rewind meter." Charge it up, then spin the record backward to relive and replay your favorite sections.
- DJ Hero features jukebox mode, where you can leave it playing, but players can drop in at random -- perfect for parties.
As for the tracks in the game, here's are the confirmed mash-ups:
- Gorillaz "Feelgood Inc." vs. Marvin Gaye "Heard it Through the Grapevine"
- Chuck Brown and the Soul Searchers "Bustin' Loose" Vs. The Zombies "Time of the Season" (DJ Shadow mix)
- David Bowie "Let's Dance" vs. KRS One "Jack of Spades" (DJ Shadow mix)
- Nirvana "All Apologies" vs. Rick James "Give it to Me Baby" (DJ Shadow mix)
- Jurassic 5 "Jayou" vs. Herbie Hancock "Rockit"
- Tears for Fears "Shout" vs. Eric Prydz "Pjanoo"
Other confirmed artists:
- Beastie Boys
- Billy Squire
DJ Hero will be out this fall, no price point or systems have been announced. For the entire story and tons of pics, go to your local newsstand and pick up the June issue of Game Informer.
What do you think? Is it possible for the awesomeness of Guitar Hero to translate to different genres of music? Is this a must-have title or are you waiting for a reveal of the price of the bundle?