Git out yer ol' bottle a moonshine and git to pickin' and'a strummin', son: Rock Band is going country! Harmonix and MTV are rolling out a brand new, standalone country music track pack for the PS3, 360, Wii and PS2.
Artists include The Dixie Chicks, Alan Jackson, Shania Twain, Brooks and Dunn and even the great Kenny Rogers. The country pack comes out on July 21st and will feature 21 new songs. Eventually, those 21 songs will show up on the Rock Band music store, but for awhile, you'll only be able to play them with the purchasable expansion pack. The whole country jamboree can be yours for $29.99.
The list of announced songs is below the cut.
Rock Band Country Track Pack
- Alan Jackson "Good Time"
- Brooks & Dunn "Hillbilly Deluxe"
- Dierks Bentley "Free & Easy (Down the Road I Go)"
- Dixie Chicks "Sin Wagon"
- Drive-By Truckers "3 Dimes Down"
- Jason Aldean "She's Country"
- Kenny Chesney "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy"
- Kenny Rogers "The Gambler"
- Lucinda Williams "Can't Let Go"
- Martina McBride "This One's For the Girls"
- Rascal Flatts "Me and My Gang"
- Shania Twain "Any Man of Mine"
- Steve Earle "Satellite Radio"
I appreciate all kinds of music, even country, but this particular lineup of songs doesn't really do it for me, I gotta be honest. I'll be happy to "rock" out to some Kenny Rogers (especially The Gambler!) but would it have killed Harmonix to drop some old-school, Hank Williams style country in the mix? I can only hope some of the yet-unannounced tracks will feature the likes of Williams or Faron Young or the Carter Family. It's also cool that the game is expanding into other genres. Sure, it's called "Rock Band," but maybe a soul or funk pack will show up eventually? We'd all appreciate that.
What about you? What do you think? Are you feeling the country or are you a Rock purist?