Next week's Rock Band tracks have made my aging-hipster dreams come true. It is as if Harmonix and MTV were paging through my collection of vinyl and picking and choosing top tracks, personally suited to me. Here's what's coming, in order of my personal preference:
- Elvis Costello: As long-time readers of this site know, I've been calling for the inclusion of Elvis Costello in music games since 1978. Harmonix eventually caved, but now, another Costello classic is joining "Pump it Up" in the game. The amazing "Radio Radio" is available for your rocking pleasure. I am in Rock Band heaven with this inclusion, people -- solid new wave from the golden age of music.
- The Replacements: This Minneapolis based proto-alternative band created and eclipsed the entire alt-rock movement of the 1990s. You are not worthy. "Kids Don't Follow" will get inside your brain and kick your mind's ass.
- Social Distortion: Another hugely influential band, once you hear Social Distortion's distinctive punk sound, it won't leave your head. Here are the tracks: "Ring of Fire," " "Bad Luck", and "Story of my Life" are included. Schweeeet. You know you want to sing "Ring of Fire."
- Steely Dan: Okay, this is music favored by dentists and guys in Hawaiian shirts driving PT Cruisers, but you can't blame the band or its music for the people who like it. Steely Dan is good. Besides, Mom needs to rock out sometimes too! The song are "Black Friday" and "My Old School."
- Disturbed: I'm not down with it. Sorry. I'm probably just too old or something, but this kind of angry metal doesn't appeal to me. Feel free to call me an idiot in the comment section! The songs: "Stricken" and "Stupify".
The new tracks will be available on May 12th for the Xbox 360 and Wii and May 14th for the PlayStation 3