It's always one of gaming's more uncommon moments seeing anything labeled with Square Enix without a trace of a spiky-haired, androgynous protagonist. Even rarer, is a title with a complete lack of fantasy elements whatsoever.
Today, Square Enix announced it's branching out with a brand new IP strategy game set in WWII, which is their first title ever, to be created by a western developer (Wargaming.net) outside of Japan. Square Enix Ltd. CEO/President John Yamamoto on the move:
“ORDER OF WAR offers Square Enix an exciting opportunity to enter this hugely popular genre, and is a strong proposition for our first western developed release. With its cinematic intensity, hugely realistic battles and historical accuracy, the game looks set to whet the appetite of any war gaming fan.”
A very interesting endeavor to say the least, being a pretty big fan of the Front Mission series and Final Fantasy Tactics myself, strategy games and Square Enix are proven in my eyes. How things will fare from a WWII setting however (Final Fantasy Nazis comes to mind), we'll have to wait and see as Order of War is set for a Fall release this year on the PC. For more, check out the announcement screens here and catch the teaser and full features listing below.
Order of War Teaser
• Experience WWII warfare on an epic, cinematic stage; that truly captures the intensity and scale of the battlefield.
• Take Command of an entire armoured force consisting of up to 1,000 soldiers, tank divisions, armoured vehicles, artillery and air force.
• Players can choose between two different campaign modes offering completely different storylines, missions, objectives and environments.
• Experience the unique dynamic camera that allows players to command troops over huge geographical scale whilst maintaining movie-like vistas and detail.
• In-depth gameplay modes - two different campaign modes, multi-player, Deathmatch and Skirmish’.
For more information about ORDER OF WAR please visit the official website at www.orderofwar.com