Good news for Japan-fans and devotees who love to roll garbage up into big balls: A PlayStation 3 version of colorful puzzle game Katamari Damacy is coming out.
The latest issue of Japanese gaming bible Famitsu dropped some details on Katamari Damacy Tribute. Here's what they said:
- The game supports full 1080p -- as in 1920x1080.
- Features over 30 stage goals.
- More objects to pick up and roll.
- Some kind of PlayStation Network support...Although how it will work, isn't known.
- Customized game rendering. Players can choose "comic touch," "new touch," or "wood touch," as well as "original" and thus change the way Katamari looks.
- New play mode: No details revealed.
- "Monochrome" level: Everything is in black and white in this Katamari level, except The Prince of the Cosmos.
Katamari Damacy Tribute is scheduled to come out some time this year in Japan, although the game is reportedly only around 40 percent finished right now. No word yet on when/if it's coming to the States.
The PlayStation 2 version of Katamari Damacy was a must-have, both because it's super-fun and super-appealing to gamers' girlfriends. Then again, I haven' been really into Katamari games. A revolutionary gameplay mechanic is only interesting for so long. It's just more of the same. I'd love to see this game revive the fun of the original, but I wonder if it will be appealing to anyone beyond diehard fans of the series.