Ubiquitous music playing/downloading program iTunes has been updated. Version 8.1 fixes the requisite stability and speed issues, but also provides some intriguing new features.
The first of which is a long time-coming: New iTunes allows CDs to be imported at the same sound quality as iTunes Plus. It's about time, Apple. Forcing compression of my audio files is weak, especially given how cheap memory has become.
Another plus: "Genius" support for movies and TV shows. Apple's "If you're listening to this, let me point you to this" service works great for music, so I'll bet it will work well with shows, too.
But the coolest new iTunes feature to me, by far, is iTunes DJ. It works like this: You set your wireless to password-free. Then anyone with an iPod Touch or an iPhone can "request" music from your playlist. Perfect for a party... host playing Britney Spears' "If You Seek Amy?" Whip out your phone and change the mood a little with some Leonard Cohen! Cool!
Click the cut for the full list of changes in the new iTunes.
- Supports syncing with iPod shuffle (3rd generation).
- Allows friends to request songs for iTunes DJ.
- Adds Genius sidebar for your Movies and TV Shows.
- Improves performance when downloading iTunes Plus songs.
- Provides AutoFill for manually managed iPods.
- Allows CDs to be imported at the same sound quality as iTunes Plus.
- Includes many accessibility improvements.
- Allows iTunes U and the iTunes Store to be disabled separately using Parental Controls