According to combined sales data from GfK, ChartTrack, Enterbrain and the NPD Group, the worldwide best-selling video game in 2008 was Mario Kart Wii! Nintendo cleaned up in the charts: A full three of the top five games were from the Japanese company, proving that Universal appeal trumps hardcore gamer opinion. Here's the rest of the best-seller list:
1) Mario Kart Wii: This cart-racing, banana-dropping simulator sold 8.94 million units, five million in the US, 2 million in Japan and 1.94 million in the the U.K.
2) Wii Fit: This fitness game and yoga simulator sold sold 8.31 million copies, total: 4.55 million in the US, 2.15 million in Japan and 1.61 million in England.
3) GTA IV: 7.29 million people bought this open world crime simulator, mostly in the U.S. 5.18m were shifted in the States, and 1.85 sold in the UK. Only 256,000 customers picked the title up in Japan.
4) Super Smash Bros Brawl: Sold 6.32 million overall. 4.17 million came in the US, with 1.75 million in Japan and 404,000 in the UK.
5) Call Of Duty: World At War: The Activision first-person-shooter sold 5.89 million games overall, with 4.46 million in the US and 1.43 million in the UK. The title was not released in Japan.