The Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences has announced the speaker lineup for the 2009 DICE Summit. For those of you that don't know about DICE, it's a small event (compared to E3 and GDC) that gathers some of the best minds in gaming for a series of lectures.
One of my favorite DICE panels took place in 2003 when Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto and Sega's Yu Suzuki shared the stage; listening to these guys ask each other questions and having top Western developers in the audience ask them questions was just mind blowing.
The conference has grown over the years and while it's still one of the best events in the business, I don't think the intimacy and speaker quality are the same. For me, the 2009 highlights include Capcom's Jun Takeuchi, Ensemble's Bruce Shelley, and Bethesda's Todd Howard.
Here's the entire list of DICE 2009 speakers:
- Chris Cao, Sony Online Entertainment Austin – lead designer on Sony Online’s upcoming DC Universe MMO game.
- Michael Denny, SVP Sony Corp. EU – responsible for the direction of innovative titles for Sony including LittleBigPlanet and Buzz.
- Harrison Ellenshaw, Disney/ILM/LucasFilm – Academy Award nominated artist from the film and animation industries, working on Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Dick Tracey, among others.
- Anita Frazier, NPD Research – lead research analyst covering retail sales in the games industry.
- Lars Gustavsson, Creative Director D.I.C.E. Studios/EA – creative director on EA’s multi-million selling Battlefield franchise.
- Michael Haigh, Director London Studios, SCE Worldwide Studios - catapulted social gaming into the mainstream with Sing Star, pivotal in the development of EyeToy.
- Todd Howard, Bethesda Studios – lead designer of the current top-10 selling Fallout 3.
- Alex Laurent, LucasArts/ILM – visual effects visionary that has transitioned from the film to games industry.
- Ralph Osterhout, Serial Inventor – former defense contractor and legendary toy designer.
- David Perry, CCO and Co-Founder Acclaim Entertainment – game designer on multiple MMOs as well as licensed and original IPs ranging from the Matrix to Earthworm Jim, with his games selling over 1 billion dollars retail.
- J. Paul Raines, COO Gamestop - formerly Executive VP for Home Depot.
- John Riccitiello, CEO Electronic Arts- co-founder Elevation Partners, former President of Sara Lee Corporation.
- Bruce Shelley, Ensemble Studios – 2009 D.I.C.E. Hall of Fame inductee and designer of some of the top selling strategy games of all time including Age of Empires and the upcoming Halo Wars.
- Jun Takeuchi, Capcom – producer and game director on best-sellers including Lost Planet and Resident Evil 5.
TheFeed will be covering DICE next month, so here's your chance to shape the coverage! What do you think of the lineup? Is there anyone you're particularly interested in hearing? Anyone on the list that you'd like to see interviewed? Speak up and put TheFeed to work for you.