According to early Nielsen media research reports, "The debut of the eighth season of 'American Idol' averaged 30.1 million viewers Tuesday night, down 10% from the previous year's debut of 33.4 million." While numbers are still phenomenal, I wonder if people are growing tired of Simon Cowell's snarkiness, Randy Jackson's overuse of the word "dog", and Paul Abdul's space-cadet behavior. New addition Kara DioGuardi definitely added a breath of fresh air, but she probably lacks the star power to draw in new Idol viewers.
I have to confess that Idol is one of my guilty pleasures. A friend got me into it last year and I haven't been able to stop. In case you missed the season premiere, here are my personal highlights and random thoughts:
- There was a charming and lanky Black dude that sorta kinda resembled the guy from OutKast, but without the talent. I dubbed him Andre 1000.
- Randy and Simon were thrilled by the contestant that showed up in a bikini. Kara was not. Her voice was okay, but her body was...wow.
- The kid that tried to sing "Mad World" had an Igor vibe about him. His voice absolutely sucked. I was waiting for him to spit out the words, "Gollum! Gollum!"
- A 16-year old with a big voice is going with the goody-two-shoes angle. She performs for elderly people and helps them find friends. I want to punch her.
- The guy that works for an oil-rigging company had a shockingly soulful voice. I'm pretty sure Luther Vandross is still alive and hiding inside this guy's body.
- There was a hot girl from Kentucky with a sexy voice and sparkling eyes. She's my favorite contestant so far.
- It was awesome to see an exuberant, but lacking contestant pull a 180 by whining, "Simee!!!" She totally melted the icy Cowell.
- The (almost completely) blind guy is going to go far. I mean, you have to be some kind of d*$# to not vote for a (almost completely) blind guy.
- Ryan Seacrest's idiot move of the night was when he tried to high-five the (almost completely) blind guy. Really Ryan?!?
Anyway, those were my Idol highlights. Do any of you share my addiction? If so, what did you think of the show?