If you're not upgrading to Blu-ray via the PlayStation 3, you might be interested to find that the BD-P1500 Samsung Blu-ray player is under $200. If you are, you might find this a decent gift for a non-gaming movie lover in your clan.
Look below the cut for the written review from Attack of the Show.
What You Need to Know
- It's long and thin, so it will fit better in a home entertainment system than a Playstation 3
- The glossy finish and beveled buttons are also a nice touch
- On average, discs take 20 to 30 seconds to load, plus the long power up time doesn't help
- Menus lag a little, but it is nice to have those in 1080p
- This isn't a lot slower than most stand-alone Blu-ray players, but the PS3 still kills it in load times
- It is practically equal in video quality to the Playstation 3
- In places where the PS3 shows black, the Samsung has a lighter shade and a little more pixelation
- The colors are surprisingly more vibrant on the Samsung
- Overall, the PS3 looked better, but just barely
- It doesn't support BD Live, Profile 2.0, or DTSHD master audio decoding, so you early adopters may not be happy
- For everyone else, Blu-ray hasn't been this affordable or this good till now
- 94% (How do we rate gadgets?)