Every month, the NPD Group publishes the results of their constant research into the business of gaming, and every month, the console companies say, "These numbers prove our machine is the winner!"
Today, Microsoft trumpeted their holdiday victory in a statement reading: "Fueled by the greatest holiday lineup in video game history, consumers spent more holiday dollars on Xbox 360 consoles, games and accessories than any other platform in the month of November according to NPD."
Click the cut for the full statement of Xbox's victory!
Xbox 360 – Consumers voting with their wallets, Xbox 360 winning this holiday
Fueled by the greatest holiday lineup in video game history, consumers spent more holiday dollars on Xbox 360 consoles, games and accessories than any other platform in the month of November according to NPD.
- #1 in Game Sales: Four of the Top Ten Titles are on Xbox 360, compared to three on the Wii and two on the PS3.
- Xbox 360 holds the #1 title with “Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare” (Activision), selling nearly 1.5 million units on Xbox 360, compared to 444,000 units on the PS3.
- #1 in Total Revenue: Xbox 360 leads in total revenue with $763 million compared to $587 million for Wii and $364 million for PS3 according to NPD.
- #1 in Game Quality: Xbox 360 delivers the highest-rated games lineup this generation, with 6 out of the top 10 rated games through the end of November according to Metacritic, the world-wide authority in entertainment reviews.
Xbox 360: Leading in Game Awards
At the recent Spike TV Video Game Awards (VGA’s), Xbox 360 exclusive titles won more awards than any other console this generation, led by “Bioshock” (2K Games) winning the “Game of the Year” award, “Mass Effect” (Bioware) winning “Best Role Playing Game,” and “Halo 3” (Bungie) winning “Best Multiplayer Game” and “Most Addictive Game fueled by Mountain Dew.” Xbox 360 is also the only console where you can play all of the titles nominated for “Game of the Year.”
This week, MTV released their Top Ten Games for 2007 with five titles available on Xbox 360 compared to two for PS3 and one for Wii.
Xbox 360 games also continue to lead recommended lists for consumers. Time Magazine recently published its Top Ten Video Games of 2007, featuring seven out of 10 titles available on Xbox 360 with Halo 3 winning “Game of the Year,” compared to one game available for Wii and three for Sony PS3. Amazon.com editors compiled their Top Ten Games of 2007 and featured five games available on Xbox 360 compared to one for Wii and four for PS3.
Game Sales: Xbox 360 rocked its way to the top with four games in the Top Ten Console List
- At 6.9 games sold per console, Xbox 360 breaks the games attach record
- The epic title, “Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare” (Activision) for Xbox 360 was #1 on the top ten list according to NPD, outselling the PS3 version 3:1.
- “Assassin’s Creed” (Ubisoft) for Xbox 360 was #3 on the Top Ten list according to NPD, outselling the PS3 version 2.7:1.
- “Mass Effect” (BioWare) sold more than 444,000 units its first week on the market coming in at #6 on the top ten list according to NPD.
- Last month “Halo 3” (Bungie) continued its run in the NPD Top Ten coming in at #9, after more than two months on the market.
- Xbox 360 continues to lead in 3rd Party success
- Since November, third party partners have seen their titles hit the top ten 31 times for Xbox 360, compared to 4 for PS3 and 2 for Wii.
- According to NPD, of all 3rd party U.S. revenue in November, Xbox 360 generated more than the PS3 and Wii combined. Xbox 360 weighs in at $367 million compared to $203 for Wii and PS3 at $129 million.
Total Revenue: Xbox 360 and its offerings are the presents of choice this holiday season, starting at the gift-friendly price of $279 for the Xbox 360 Arcade
- Xbox 360 beats Wii and PS3 in total consumer dollars spent for holiday shopping with $763 million in consumer spending compared to $587 million for Wii and $364 million for PS3.
- Xbox 360 also leads in total revenue this generation, with $7.1 billion in consumer spending since launch and $4.8 billion since November 2006, compared to $3.0 billion for Wii and $2.1 billion for PS3
- Hardware sales for the month of November saw a 110 percent month over month increase for Xbox 360 at 770,000 units, compared to 466,000 for PS3 and 981,000 for Wii.
- For the month of November according to NPD, Xbox 360 console’s $415 million dollars of software revenue represented 49 percent of total software sales for this generation market compared to 34% (at $288 million dollars) percent for Wii and 16% percent for PS3 ($138 million dollars), solidifying the fact that consumers are spending their holiday dollars on Xbox 360.
- Xbox LIVE continues to thrive with more than eight million members across 25 countries. The online entertainment network offers IM, voice, video and text chat, Xbox LIVE Arcade, hundreds of multiplayer games, free and premium playable game demos, music videos, TV shows and movies, as well as new game levels, characters and vehicles for all your favorite retail games. In addition, consumers have quickly jumped to the Xbox LIVE Marketplace as their one-stop download center, the largest social network connected to your TV.
Game Quality: Xbox 360 continues to deliver the best games this generation
- Xbox 360 is delivering the highest-rated next gen games line up with 6 out of the top 10 rated games, according to Metacritic, the world-wide authority in entertainment reviews.
- Xbox 360 has more than double the number of titles with a Metacritic review score of 80 or higher than PS3 and six-times more than Wii.
- Xbox 360 has 84 titles with a Metacritic review score of 80 or higher…compared to just 39 for PS3 and 12 for Wii.