Sony is updating the PlayStation 3's firmware to 2.0.
Generally, an entire number higher (as opposed to a fraction) means huge, awesome changes, but this one is more like subtle, much-needed improvements, including remote access and security features that may, someday, be very important. Sadly, the wished-for toast making application has not materialized. Neither has the onboard naked lady simulator. Here's what will come with the download, though:
- Remote Start: Upgrades the Remote Play feature. Enables users to turn on a PS3 system remotely with a PSP system from a Wi-Fi hotspot. This is a great feature, allowing mobile access to your video collection.
- Customizable themes: At last. All praise Odin.
- Playlists: You can now create playlists to organize content under [Music] and [Photo].
- Information Board has been added as a feature under [Network]. PlayStation® related news can be displayed on the XMB™ screen.
- [PLAYSTATION®Network] has been added as a category in the XMB™ home menu.
New grouping options for the [Group Content] feature have been added to the options menu.
[Color], [Background], and [Font] have been added as options under [Theme Settings].
You can now select [Brightness] as an option under [Theme Settings] > [Background].
The procedure for setting [Internet Connection Settings] under [Network Settings] has been changed.
You can now select Canon printers with the [Printer Selection] option under [Printer Settings]. For a list of compatible printers, select here.
[Vibration Function] has been added as an option under [Controller Settings] in the menu that is displayed when you press the PS button on a DUALSHOCK®3 wireless controller. *
*Available for purchase in early 2008.
You can now view video content (as a progressive download) as it is being downloaded from PLAYSTATION®Store.
[Trend Micro Web Security for PS3] has been added as an option under the Internet browser.
The voice / video chat menu has been changed.
You can now use the PLAYSTATION®Eye camera for voice / video chat.*
* For details on the PLAYSTATION®Eye camera, select here.
- You can update your system software by any of the following methods:
- System Update »
Update using the PS3™ system's [System Update] feature.
- Update using a PC »
Download update data using a PC and save on storage media* or a USB Mass Storage device. Copy the update data to the PS3™ system's hard disk and perform the update.
*An appropriate USB adaptor (not included) is required to use storage media with some models of the PS3™ system. .
- Update using disc media »
Update using update data that is included on a game disc.