Nintendo has long been regarded as the most adorable game company ever, even back when they ran a Taxi company in Japan (true fact!). But they've come a long way since their start, and now they're sitting pretty on the top of the console heap and the top of the handheld heap. Must be a nice view from up there, eh?
At this year's E3, the company continued their dedication to getting non-gamers to wiggle a joystick, but also threw a little red meat to the hardcore gamers, and of course, took full advantage of their iconic characters! But don't take my word for it...
- ...check out our face-to-face interview with Nintendo's Reggie Fils-Aime!
- Or look at our two Nintendo-centric reports: The State of Nintendo and Spotlight: Nintendo.
- But what about the Wii games? How about a hands-on look at Metroid Prime 3: Corruption? How's that grab ya? This title is the most "hardcore gamer" title Nintendo has coming up. The first person shooter may change the shole shooter game when combined with the Wii's control scheme. Many are viewing this first-party shooter as the litmus test of whether Wii can have a killer shooter. Make or break?
- Super Mario Galaxies is another soon-to-be blockbuster. Everyone's favorite plumber is back with impressive new graphics and perspectives, but holding onto that old Mario feel.
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl will be in every Wii. It's just that simple.
- Mario Kart Wii Racing. The wedding of Mario Kart and the Wii is like the marriage you wish your parents had.
- Also of interest to the rabid gamer: The Wii Zapper! It combines your Wii-mote and your nunchak into a gun. Pew!
- On the more casual side: Wii Fit! This fitness title will come with a weight and balance sensing mat to help you do yoga, use a hula hoop and otherwise work out. TheFeed predicts this will be among the highest selling Nintendo titles ever when it comes out. We also think they should call the Wii scale "The Fat Mat."
- Some Nintendo fans on the Web have started a petition to help Reggie lose weight.
- Nintendo has never been known for their online play, a fact they acknowledged at their press conference. But they are trying to change all that. Check out what's coming up for Nintendo's online offerings.
- Of course, Online wasn't the only thing discussed at Nintendo's press conference. Here's a rundown. A blow-by-blow if you will.
- MySims is another title that may surprise you. It has an undeniable adorability factor. Don't believe us? Check out the screenshots.
- Guitar Hero 3 is coming to the system as well. You'll rock. You might even roll.
- Speaking of music games, Boogie is looking pretty rockin'. Sure, it's for kids, but it's one of those kids games that will have you grabbing the Wii-mote right outta junior's paw. The soundtrack is no joke either.
- Morgan Webb urges you to consider a couple of sleeper Nintendo Wii titles: No More Heroes and De Blob.
- Spiderman: Friend or Foe will bring web-slinging to the Wii.
- Sports titles for the Wii include NBA Live '08, and Madden '08. Physical movement in sports game is another of the Wii's strong suits.
- Crash of the Titans is the newest game in the franchise and will land on the Wii and PS2.
- Trauma Center is a favorite title among medical types. Let's play doctor!
Of course The Wii isn't all Nintendo is flossin'. The DS is small, but its impact on gaming is huge.