TheFeed once lived in Mr. Roger's actual neighborhood in Pittsburgh. It's true, look at the map!
Everyone loved Mr. Rogers, but do you know what a rockin' dude he actually was? Mental_floss has put together a list of the top 15 things that made Fred so damn fine.
Did you know...
- Koko, the super intelligent gorilla who could use sign language to communicate with humans, was a huge Mr. Rogers fan. When Mr. Rogers went to go visit Koko, she gave him a huge hug and took off his shoes, something he used to do at the beginning of each show.
- When thieves stole Mr. Rogers's car from outside the WQED studios in Pittsburgh, the story was all over the media. The next day, the car was returned to the exact spot where it was originally parked with a note that said, "If we'd known it was yours, we never would have taken it."
- He composed all the songs heard on the show...over 200 of them.
- In 1969, a relatively unknown Mr. Rogers traveled to Washington D.C. to testify before congress regarding Public Television funding. After hearing his five minute talk, law makers who had originally wanted to cut the PBS budget, ended up giving them more money. He also convinced congress to let people tape TV shows to their home VCRs so that working parents could tape the show and watch it later with their children.
- Every sweater he wore on the show was hand knitted by his mother. Every sweater.
There are a ton of other interesting facts in the article. Be sure to check it out.
Mental_Floss: 15 Reasons Mr. Rogers Was The Best Neighbor Ever