Nintendo president Reggie Fils-Aime spoke to the media at the annual Nintendo Summit, and touted the following achievements for the company:
- In Japan, more than half of all games sold were for Nintendo DS.
- Typically, about half of home consoles in Japan are placed in the living room -- with Wii that figure is 75%.
- In France, 15 of the top 15 games recently were Nintendo.
- In the US, Fils-Aime says they are seeing "early signs of significant market change.&
- The number of female purchasers of hardware are up 42%.
- The number of people over age of 30 purchasing Nintendo DS is up 127%.
- Tighten that age range to people over 35, and the number is up 212#.
- 40% of Wii owners have connected to the internet.
- 3.3 million plus Virtual Console downloads
Reggie also dropped word on Metroid Prime 3, the most eagerly awaited Wii title of the summer. He said the game "will reinvent the control scheme for a first person shooter. It's the closest you can get to PC control in a [console] game."
GameLife: Nintendo Media Summit: Reggie Speaks