You had to know this was coming: After the success of the PS2's EyeToy camera, Sony has decided to release an advanced version of the USB webcam for the PlayStation 3 this summer.
"With the release of PlayStation Eye we will be able to dramatically enhance the consumer's PS3 experience," said Richard Marks, research and development at Sony Computer Entertainment America in a statement. "Beyond audio/video chat and the ability to save videos to your PS3 hard drive, PlayStation Eye opens up a whole new world of entertainment options and adds a new dimensions to games across multiple genres."
Here are some pertinent point of the new camera:
- A sophisticated microphone with the ability to reduce background noise and focus on spoken word for smoother, more accurate speech recognition
- Engineered to perform in low-light conditions
- Faster frame rate for improved tracking, responsiveness and smoothness
- Two position zoom lens for close-up and full body options
- Free EyeCreate(TM) editing software, which allows users to save, edit and add cool visual effects to photos, video and audio clips
- EyeCreate also enables user to capture videos and audio clips directly to your PS3's hard disk drive and access a range of different capturing modes, including slow motion and time-lapse.
Speech recognition?! Video editing capability?! Sounds pretty sweet to us. No info on the exact release date or price as of yet.