TGS News

'Guitar Hero World Tour' Drum Fix Requires PC And Obscure Cable
Posted By: Raymond Padilla - Friday, October 31, 2008 8:12 AM

RedOctane has released a fix for Guitar Hero World Tour's faulty drums. That's the good news. The bad news? The fix requires a PC (Windows XP/Vista) and a midi-USB cable.

While it's nice that the company is providing a solution, a more user-friendly method would have been preferred. I'm guessing most of you don't have a midi-USB cable lying around. It looks like RedOctane will be providing the cable, though the site requires you to fill out a support ticket to get "information about how to obtain that cable." Instead of dolling out lord-knows-how-much money to A-Rod, Kobe, Tony Hawk, and Michael Phelps, perhaps Activision should have allocated more funds to QA so that this issue never popped up. It's fun looking through the retroscope, isn't?

If anyone has tried this fix, please leave a comment about your experience. A lot of people would like to know how it worked out for you.

Source

Comment(s)

Posted by CALiiGeDDon - Monday, November 03, 2008 12:06 PM
all instruments are working for each game now because of the big companies like Best Buy are getting mad that there are sooooooo many instruments...theres not enough room so those companies are just not putting the instruments out because of space issues

Posted by Aerosh0ck - Sunday, November 02, 2008 6:14 AM
@damienhell
You got me there lol sorry about that. Great fanboy impresssion

Posted by dythius_exnius - Saturday, November 01, 2008 1:01 PM
owned

and anyone plan on playing rock revolution??????

Posted by brawlreaver - Saturday, November 01, 2008 1:35 AM
aZnGaiMEr - yes it does. i have the RB1 guitar and drums with GH3 guitar and a singstar mic. and it works for the three games. RB2, GHWT, AND Rock Revolution.

Posted by r_pad - Friday, October 31, 2008 3:11 PM
@Latti1000 Some people are experiencing calibration problems.

@GloryHole93 You're correct. It's not affecting everyone.

Posted by GloryHole93 - Friday, October 31, 2008 1:41 PM
its only some drums, not all, right?

Posted by Latti1000 - Friday, October 31, 2008 12:50 PM
What is wrong with the drums?

Posted by mj6music - Friday, October 31, 2008 11:34 AM
So i just filled out the questionnaire - lets see how this goes.

Posted by audiotracer - Friday, October 31, 2008 11:14 AM
I used the drum fix with my PC. I didn't use their cable supplied, but my Fireface 800 audio interface card. There is a pull down menu in the fix program that allows you to choose other interfaces that use MIDI. I am sure if u have a sound blaster type card and happen to have the gameport to MIDI adapter it would work. Nonetheless, the fix did work quite well. I went from getting 67% on drums to 98%. It is a pain in the butt to have to do this. They had to have known about the issue before its release. You figure they would have learned from RB1's problem to get it right. Unfortunately that was not the case. Good game, but RB series still wins in my opinion.

Posted by Wildcard273 - Friday, October 31, 2008 11:07 AM
This is disappointing to hear about the drums for GH:WT. The consumer shouldn't have to dole out this extra money, after they've just spent $170 +/- for the game by itself. This problem should have been detected and fixed prior to shipping the game to stores. I just can't figure out how a bug like this makes it all the way through to the finished product.

Posted by thisisjon5 - Friday, October 31, 2008 11:02 AM
You can find a MIDI to USB cable at just about any music store or electronics store for under 30 bucks.

Posted by eiflerb - Friday, October 31, 2008 10:44 AM
I tuned my Guitar Hero drums last night using a third party MIDI-USB cable and the software Activision provided. It worked wonderfully and easily although it was amazing at what my final settings were to make this kit actually work perfectly. My main gripe is that I do not understand why it is the consumer's responsibility to go through this hassle.

The cable needed to perform the tuning can be purchased at Guitar Center or RadioShack, if one is immediately desired, for around $35.

http://www.radioshack.com/pr oduct/index.jsp?productId=2944 951

Posted by HamLord - Friday, October 31, 2008 10:06 AM
by number or songs, rock band is the best bet there both good but the reason to get a music game is 4 the tracks and rb has way more. 4 now

Posted by DamienHell - Friday, October 31, 2008 9:34 AM
@Aerosh0ck
LOL I'm not being serious. Great fanboy impression though eh?

Posted by eiflerb - Friday, October 31, 2008 9:26 AM

http://www.radioshack.com/pr oduct/index.jsp?productId=2944 951

Posted by Aerosh0ck - Friday, October 31, 2008 9:20 AM
Just because ea has some better customer support doesnt mean rock band is automatically better Damien. Its about how good the games are, not about customer support

Personally i like both games a lot, but i think the fact that people argue about which one is better is absolutely retarded. so ok someone declares rock band or guitar hero is better..... so??? do you want a pat on the back or something? nobody really cares either way

Hopefully this solution works. the tuning kit looks pretty neat, lol

Posted by apollomj2000 - Friday, October 31, 2008 9:14 AM
I wonder if this issue will be fixed for someone who still wants to buy GHWT. Would there be a UPC code or something so you know your buying a good one?

Posted by aZnGaiMEr - Friday, October 31, 2008 9:13 AM
makes me kinda glad that i haven't purchased it yet. Might be a dumb question but i can take the burns......does the equipment from the Rock Band 1 work for this?

Posted by eiflerb - Friday, October 31, 2008 9:12 AM

http://www.radioshack.com/pr oduct/index.jsp?productId=2944 951

Posted by mj6music - Friday, October 31, 2008 9:09 AM
So i just filled out the questionnaire - lets see how this goes.

Posted by DamienHell - Friday, October 31, 2008 8:56 AM
rockband wins!! LOLZ WOOT! ROFL PWNED!