TGS News

Nintendo DSi North American Launch Update
Posted By: Raymond Padilla - Friday, October 31, 2008 7:06 AM

Nintendo's DSi hits shelves in Japan tomorrow. Despite what some polls say, I'm sure the system will sell well (though probably not as well as Nintendo initially hoped, due to the struggling Japanese economy). In an interview with Reuters, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata confirmed that the DSi will hit North America earlier in 2009, rather than later. Iwata said:

"Specific plans will be unveiled by our local subsidiaries, but an autumn or year-end launch would probably be too late."

When Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime said that the DSi wouldn't hit North America until "well into 2009", many gamers feared that meant a fall or early winter release. Iwata's statement indicates that a spring or summer launch is most likely. That's totally cool with me! While some gamers aren't thrilled with this incremental update to the DS platform, I'm super excited by its digital download capabilities and dual-camera functionality. The sooner it gets here, the better.

What do you guys think? Are you anxious for the DSi? Could you care less?!? Or are you left with a profound sense of "meh"?!? Leave a comment and let me know.

Source

Comment(s)

Posted by gamemaster756 - Thursday, April 16, 2009 10:32 AM
sorry about the typo,mmy keybrd sucks

Posted by gamemaster756 - Thursday, April 16, 2009 10:30 AM
I resd a back issue of GameInformer and it said that the DSi would be released April 7.as that date has alreday passed,I'll assume it is alredy out.so quit complaining as Nintendo is not scheduled to release the DSe until 2010.the name isn't even decided yet

Posted by ipavemyownroad - Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:58 AM
What use is a camera that takes terrible pictures anyway? And the DS already plays music, you just have to buy the SD cartridge. Music playing is all I use mine for.

Posted by ipavemyownroad - Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:57 AM
Where the hell do you plug in the vibrator or the memory expansion unit or the pedometer?

Posted by vespabone5000 - Wednesday, January 14, 2009 9:50 AM
I think i will get one, as i misplaced my ds lite when i was moving to school, as for the no GBA slot, my micro works great. I rather like the cameras, great for snapshots and scavenger hunts. I would prefer a quicker launch but at the same time know that a refined system is usually for the better. But as a 3rd generation of the system most bugs will have already been taken care of. 1st big buy of '09 other than textbooks.

Posted by r_pad - Sunday, November 02, 2008 1:44 AM
@Shadow_B_jamin Probably because "stupid Nintendo", as you put it, is actually SMART Nintendo. The DS is very close to its saturation point in Japan. In other territories, there are still tons of DS's to be sold. Why cannibalize the market by introducing new hardware too soon?

Posted by Shadow_ben_jamin - Saturday, November 01, 2008 3:50 PM
I think this will be a pretty cool platform.
But stupid Nintendo won't release it till 09, why can't they send it out now if its in Japan?

Posted by Kos9399 - Saturday, November 01, 2008 8:15 AM
Ill probably get one if my ds lite kicks the bucket

Posted by Smartguy81 - Friday, October 31, 2008 12:07 PM
you could just keep your ds or ds lite or even buy a gameboy advance off of ebay to play GBA games...just sayin.

Posted by Darkwing6723 - Friday, October 31, 2008 11:55 AM
I think the new DS will be cool but without the GBA slot it losses some of its functionality. Some games like guitar hero on tour and all those GBA games I have kept over the years suddenly become useless. I wish nintendo had not sacrifice the GBA slot just to make it smaller.

Posted by mmahoney - Friday, October 31, 2008 10:54 AM
I think I'm going with a profound sense of "meh."

Posted by strife515 - Friday, October 31, 2008 10:48 AM
I dont want to buy a 3rd DS to get things like downloadable content which my current ds should already do. If you already have a ds get a psp instead.

Posted by atari05 - Friday, October 31, 2008 10:20 AM
I think I will be good with my current DSLite. The only thing that really appeals to me in the DSi's feature set is downloads and the screens. Both aren't enough to make me pump out extra cash that can other wise be spent on games.

Posted by r_pad - Friday, October 31, 2008 9:55 AM
@SweetStella North American pricing hasn't been determined yet. I imagine it would be $125 to $150.

Posted by SweetStella - Friday, October 31, 2008 9:47 AM
I am going with "a profound sense of 'meh.'"

How much will this one cost?

Posted by mckin3228 - Friday, October 31, 2008 9:18 AM
oh geez I never lean my lesson I threw my DS pat at a guy who was annoying me which broke my DS (and his nose)I lost my DS lite on a plane and I predict I'll drop this one in a volcano or somthing. I'm definatly getting it.

Posted by pascal2 - Friday, October 31, 2008 9:11 AM
At least if it comes with a defective screen nintendo will likely replace it

Damn you Sony

Posted by moose_ - Friday, October 31, 2008 9:08 AM
That's good, I don't really like the DSi.

Posted by r_pad - Friday, October 31, 2008 9:04 AM
@Al_Coholic There are no plans to discontinue the DS Lite any time soon.

Posted by moose_ - Friday, October 31, 2008 8:58 AM
Does this mean that Nintendo will discontinue the current DS model?

Posted by cmdluke - Friday, October 31, 2008 8:49 AM
i'll pick one up if my current one breaks.

Posted by r_pad - Friday, October 31, 2008 8:35 AM
@imisshalo3 Why? Do you hate families?

Posted by imisshalo3 - Friday, October 31, 2008 8:30 AM
nintendo pisses me off with its family friendly crap!

Posted by WalkingCarpet - Friday, October 31, 2008 8:24 AM
I might pick it up. I don't know yet. The battery life kinda sucks, and I really don't care about being able to play music. The download service looks cool, but given the relatively crappy condition of the current DS's online functionality, they will have to improve the online A LOT for me to look at it and see it as anything other than a pain in the ass.

As it is, I busted the hinge on my Lite recently, so the case that Nintendo makes for the online of the DSi will decide which one I get as a replacement.

Posted by dbzwig - Friday, October 31, 2008 8:21 AM
Can't wait to see what kind of downloadables the DSi gets.

Posted by aady - Friday, October 31, 2008 8:02 AM
But no GBA game slot :( Still looks cool though.

Posted by Smartguy81 - Friday, October 31, 2008 8:01 AM
I have a launch day DS. It runs great. My gf has a DS Lite. The screen is noticeably better. That being said I now want a DS Lite since the screen and stylus are much better. However I will just hold on and get this new version instead.

Posted by HamLord - Friday, October 31, 2008 8:01 AM
i share your pain man i bought a zune 2nd gen and i got screwed twice.

Posted by Thufir85 - Friday, October 31, 2008 7:57 AM
This is what always pisses me off about Nintendo, 6 months after they release this version, they'll release a brand new version that has motion sensors built in and other bs that's cool, but totally going to be under developed for. They also have to keep constantly upgrading their handhelds like a fat kid who keeps adding toppings to his sundae. I always feel regret for getting a handheld in it's early lifespan. This is still pretty cool though.

Posted by Vulture_Protein - Friday, October 31, 2008 7:46 AM