TGS News

Four 'LittleBigPlanet' Level Editor Instructional Videos
Posted By: Brian Leahy - Friday, October 31, 2008 10:20 AM

The thing that makes LittleBigPlanet so powerful when it comes to user-generated content is that every level in Media Molecule's game was created in the same editor that every player can utilize. This creates an environment for both casual tinkerers and aspiring developers, but the tutorials only cover the basics.

Here are four videos that begin to explore some of the basic devices you can make using what you learned in the tutorials.

Part 1: Elevators, Springs, and Pistons

Hit the break the next three parts and learn about things like swings, catapults, and vehicles.

Part 2: Hidden Passages, Windows, and Swings

Part 3: Catapults, See-Saws, and Emitters

Part 4: Vehicles

Comment(s)

Posted by wookiesnot - Wednesday, January 07, 2009 4:41 PM
at what point do you get all of the cool "tools" to build these levels? I have been playing for a week and when I go into the editor I only have stickers and crap? Help? thanks in advance.

Posted by tagamer1212 - Monday, November 03, 2008 9:52 AM
this game is gay only little girls like this gay piece of garbage im gonna go play crysis a real game not this gmod ripoff

Posted by Vesipham - Friday, October 31, 2008 7:24 PM
I suck at explaining these things but bear with me.

Example: Cool

Imagine the "c" as a tube for a sackperson to pass through, then the two o's as wheels for them to pass, finally ending up at the letter "l" which could be seen as a tower of some sort that must be climbed.

This method of level design would give you great practice.

Posted by Vesipham - Friday, October 31, 2008 6:57 PM
Well crap, I just had an interesting idea for designing levels and it came from the comments themselves.

Basically, look at every line of text you see -- every individual letter -- as part of a level. Then just imagine Sackboy running/jumping along it, if that makes ANY sense at all.

At any rate, using this particular idea would give you an indefinite amount of possibilities for level designs. Look to the text! D:

Posted by lilme3333 - Friday, October 31, 2008 4:50 PM
i got all my ideas from other peoples level
you dont HAVE to spend hours one a level but, it'll probably be crappy
Hell you could spend hours on it and still be crappy lol

Posted by Vesipham - Friday, October 31, 2008 3:46 PM
@ Whiteaura1

The trick to giving your level replayability is by making cool rewards and different methods to obtaining them, along with challenges and things of that nature.

@ blakseed

I recommend you first try drawing your level design on paper. If you still don't know what to make, look at the stuff around you for inspiration.

Posted by blakseed - Friday, October 31, 2008 2:48 PM
I haven't even started level design yet. I still don't know what I want to do, something original, or a level with a theme.

Posted by ona7 - Friday, October 31, 2008 12:59 PM
how long did it take to make a great Sim City and then just unleash the powers of God onto it

Posted by bapesta - Friday, October 31, 2008 12:50 PM
u dont seem to understand this qhiteaura. i love designing levels and i dont care hoqw long it takes since its fun just to make and playing peoples levels and the story mode are alos incredibly fun.

Posted by Whiteaura1 - Friday, October 31, 2008 12:11 PM
meh.. sure it lets you like "COMPLETELY" design something .. but .. 5 hours of making a level that i will play like 2-3 times and won't be more then 4-5 mins in length doesn't really.. kindle my fire.. so to say.. i guess you have to work at being a pro at things, but this just from the begining seems like a pain to try and get anything close to what you want

Posted by jevonsp - Friday, October 31, 2008 11:27 AM
i am soo fricken excited!!!