Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary - Xbox 360

Game Description: Master Chief returns in this HD remastered version of the original Xbox classic.
G4TV Rating
5 / 5
  • Avg User Rating
    (45 Ratings)
    4.4 / 5
  • Rate This Game
Halo: Combat Evolved Anniverary Multiplayer Hands-On Preview -- Nostalgia Evolved?
Article_75287

By Kevin Kelly - Posted Aug 17, 2011

The Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary game that's coming out later this year is starting to top my chart of eagerly awaited games. Yes, I know there are things like Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Gears of War 3, Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, Battlefield 3, and more coming out this holiday season, but after spending time pwning noobs in remakes of classic maps like Beaver Creek and Damnation, this title is playing extremely heavy on the nostalgia center of my brain.

Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary

The original Halo: Combat Evolved was the only reason to own an original Xbox years ago, and I spent many gleeful hours playing through the game with that gigantic Duke controller in my hands. It brought me into the modern console age at the time, because I only had an aging Sony PlayStation, and my PlayStation 2 experiences were all at my best friend's house. This was also the day and age before Xbox titles were flooding store shelves, so you tended to go back in and play the game over and over. With enjoyment.

Then Halo 2 came, and gave the franchise a massive shot in the arm via multiplayer over Xbox Live. That took Halo in an entirely new and enjoyable direction. The original Halo launched before Xbox Live, meaning that SystemLink was the only way to play multiplayer games with other consoles. Halo 2 brought true online to the mix, and skyrocketed to fame as a complete fragfest. With it came Beaver Creek, a remade version of Battle Creek from the original game, and a slew of other new multiplayer maps.

Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary finally brings those maps to the current-gen Xbox 360, giving us remakes of Beaver Creek (now restored to Battle Creek), Penance (a twist on Damnation), and so far 343 Industries has also announced that versions of Hang 'Em High (from Halo 3)  and Timberland (a PC-exclusive level) will also be in the game. At gamescom, I was able to jump into multiplayer and get some serious time with both Battle Creek and Penance, and I'm happy to report (I actually mean brag) that I came out on top in matches on both maps. That's due to extreme knowledge of Battle Creek, and a ton of luck on Penance.

Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary

Battle Creek takes the tried and true Beaver Creek, but adds some new elements. The two bases on either side of the map now have a cave system behind them that contain teleporters to the other side of the maps, and the former teleporter locations have been replaced with air vents. This, thankfully, kills the 'porter camping that took place on this map, where players used to toss the flag up through the skylight to a waiting player above who would drop down, port, and quickly score. There are two entrances to both caves, which also contain a health pack in addition to the teleporter.

Other than that, I'm happy to report that the new Battle Creek is gorgeous. It's strange to see this and then go back and look at the old Beaver Creek, which I always thought looked impressive. It doesn't even compare now with the HD graphics and the Halo: Reach armor abilities, which can unbalance this map a bit as well. The jetpack makes you the king of this map, particularly if you know where the sniper rifle and rocket launcher spawn. Yes, I'm a rocket whore. Sue me.

Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary

Penance is also gorgeous as well, but not having spent much time in Damnation, I wasn't nearly as familiar with this map. One of the other players sporting the Camouflage ability spent a lot of time ripping us apart because this level features multiple levels and a lot of tight corners. It's a much more expansive map than the rectangular Battle Creek, and is very easy to get lost on until you learn your way around. Again, the jetpack here comes in very handy, as there are large, open, vertical areas that you'll be able to traverse quickly if you're jet-powered. We only played with four players total, but this map is tailor-made for larger team battles.

These are just two of the seven coming to Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, and we can't wait to see the others. Executive Producer Dan Ayoub at 343 confirmed for us that H:CEA is ready to have DLC dropped in, so we hope to see a lot more classic maps after the game launches in November.

• Tygraph

ALL I ASK FOR IS A GOOD LOCKOUT REMAKE...

Posted: August 22, 2011 10:10 PM
  • jorel78

I think this would be cool if it was halo 1 & 2 combined as one full length game. but make it 6 player coop. if they want to ad ODST I am cool with that. one game as an Anniversary Edition; well it just doesn't cut it. they might as well give it to us for free.

Posted: August 22, 2011 8:53 PM
    jorel78
  • CosmicBrownies

Thankx but No Thankx! my Original Halo disc works just Fine!

Posted: August 22, 2011 5:40 PM
    CosmicBrownies
  • CosmicBrownies

WOW!!! Can anyone else see that they are just Milking the franchise now! Why not put HeyHoe 1&2 remixed on this disc then it would get my money

Posted: August 22, 2011 5:37 PM
    CosmicBrownies
  • Ral_Kimas

Really? Why add armor abilities. God this is going to make these maps so unbalanced. Keeping assassinations is fine, but really? Armor abilities ruined Reach, and thus shall ruin the multiplayer experience of Anniversary.

Posted: August 22, 2011 12:42 PM
  • kshell11724

Read the article! Jeez. Its basically just like how ODST got a bunch of Halo 3 maps. Its the exact same thing. They didnt change anything about Halo 1 except the graphics. They are really just giving us more for our money.

Posted: August 22, 2011 10:59 AM
    kshell11724
  • shootmister

Sorry but i think Skyrim is gona make this game sell less.

Posted: August 18, 2011 7:00 PM
    shootmister
  • yjakez

It ways 1 player!
    if they took away local im going to be pissed, thats the reason i play halo over other games is because my homies can all come over and play online with me.

Posted: August 17, 2011 6:10 PM
    yjakez
  • OneLastStand

This will be an amazing game due to the orignal HALO being re-made to into the Xbox 360 with you going back and forth through the old and new graphics. This will totally be a game worth to buy....... again.

Posted: August 17, 2011 5:29 PM
    OneLastStand
  • Embarr_Cailte

I thought they were just going to give the original Halo: Combat Evolved a graphics update. Why would they leave in the armor abilities? I hope there's at least a way to play without them...

Posted: August 17, 2011 4:37 PM
  • swiftarrow

i un-pre-ordered this game because it still had armor abilities and terrible bloom. Thanks for ruining the original halo.

Posted: August 17, 2011 4:01 PM
    swiftarrow
  • mijoda

Hang 'Em High wasn't in Halo 3?

Posted: August 17, 2011 4:01 PM
    mijoda
  • JeeFourTeeVee

Hang 'Em High wasn't in Halo 3...

Posted: August 17, 2011 3:47 PM
    JeeFourTeeVee
  • Bforte40

why don't people understand that there will not be halo 1 multiplayer, it will have new maps for reach like what ODST did for halo 3.

Posted: August 17, 2011 2:54 PM
    Bforte40
  • MetalX224

WHY ADD ARMOR ABILITIES! those werent in the first game! halo reach RUINED halo!

Posted: August 17, 2011 2:01 PM
  • colffenstein

God, I just want to go get a big fat tv and an xbox and play this game on co op with some friends. and HEY that 40 dollar price tag leaves me with 20 extra to spend on those DLC. and i know "hemmorage" is in reach already, but could we, maybe, have a GOOD remake of the map, with the banshees and stuff? and make it a desert.... PLEASE? I would give you my monies for a perfect recreation of a blood gulch map pack, as in halo 1s blood gulch AND halo 2s coagulation (my fav) and make it a playlist.

Posted: August 17, 2011 12:36 PM
    colffenstein
  • vole182

Lets be honest, getting 4 xbox's in the same area and playing this game is what made it truly epic :)

Posted: August 17, 2011 11:55 AM
    vole182
  • thenamesjord

cant wait... especially if theres gunna be live multiplayer, and ITS ONLY GUNNA BE 40 BUCKS!

Posted: August 17, 2011 10:24 AM
    thenamesjord
  • tsiper29

Awesome its like HALO CRACK!!!!!!!!

Posted: August 17, 2011 10:20 AM