Metal Gear Solid HD Collection - Xbox 360

Game Description: The Metal Gear Solid: HD Collection will include Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, and Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker.
G4TV Rating
N/A
  • Avg User Rating
    (9 Ratings)
    4.8 / 5
  • Rate This Game
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD E3 2011 Hands-On Preview
Article_74752

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD E3 2011 Hands-On Preview

By Adam Rosenberg - Posted Jun 15, 2011

Metal Gear Solid: Rising was very sadly absent at E3 this year. It’s been three years now since the last new console release in the series, 2008’s long-in-development PlayStation 3-exclusive, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. The consolation prize at this year’s annual Los Angeles trade show was a first hands-on look at the upcoming high-def console version of Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, released last year for PlayStation Portable.

The HD Peace Walker folds into the larger Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, which the publisher confirmed earlier this month for a PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 release. The set will be coming as early as this fall and no later than spring 2012. You’ll get the second and third Metal Gear Solid games plus Peace Walker in one box. The original game in the Solid series isn’t included because it was released for the first-gen PlayStation in 1998; the visuals on such an old title will need more than an HD facelift to match the other three included games in terms of quality.

Konami had a hands-on station set up for Peace Walker on the E3 show floor. You probably won’t notice much of a difference if you played the original release on the PSP. The environments look a little sharper and the character models pop a bit more, but HD makeover remakes like this will never compete with the latest releases.

Peace Walker stands apart from most of the other games in the series with gameplay that was clearly designed for a portable experience. MGS games are synonymous with lengthy cutscenes and endless reams of exposition, but the PSP game goes instead for bite-sized missions, the sort of thing you could sit down and play for 20-30 minutes and feel that actual progress was made.

In addition to Peace Walker’s long list of on the ground stealth and combat missions, Peace Walker also brings a beefy metagame in which you build your private army. The play may be designed for shorter bursts, but there’s a lot of game here. It should work well in a console port.

The big surprise, of course, is that the traditionally PlayStation-exclusive series is coming to Xbox 360 with this HD port. That’s the version we played at E3, and it ought to be said…the controls don’t feel quite right on an Xbox gamepad. It’s probably the sort of thing you’d just get used to, as MGS is known for having a complex set of controls anyway, but it’s jarring to pull the left trigger on a 360 gamepad and see an inventory menu pop up. The Peace Walker on the show floor was apparently an early build too, as crouched Snake couldn’t quite make up his mind about whether he wanted to creep slowly or duck-walk quickly as he moved around.

Metal Gear Solid HD

A PS3/X360 release also means one other thing: Trophies and Achievements! Peace Walker and the other two games included in the HD collection will have them. More exciting than that, just like the portable release, Peace Walker will continue to support online co-op play for up to four players. The later part of the game features some giant bosses that pretty much require multiple players. Being able to find those partners over the PlayStation Network will be a lot easier that contending with the PSP’s online capabilities for that game.

There’s not much else to say about Peace Walker, which is the only game from the collection that was being shown at E3. It’s the PSP game from last year with an HD makeover and proper console controls.

• scorpian876

I drooled when I seen that.Hideo Kojima is epic.lol

Posted: June 20, 2011 3:00 PM
    scorpian876
  • Symicide

FCUCK you xbox. oh well you still only have halo and gears.

Posted: June 17, 2011 6:07 PM
    Symicide
  • prboi64

I hope they allow the ability to turn off the letter box cut scenes. I want to see the full scene HD-ness of MGS & not a letterbox.

Posted: June 17, 2011 1:44 PM
  • RP_Puzzle

Makes no sense to remake Peace Walker when its graphics are pretty much near MGS4 quality. Sorry Kojima I don't want to face those insanely tough bosses again in an "HD" version of the game.

Where's the transfarring? I put like 200 hours into my current PSP Peace Walker I'm NOT doing it again. Plus you told me I could transfar between PS2 and PS3 eventually, so I own better versions of MGS2 and 3 (substance and subsistance).

And I think it'd be awesome if he remade Metal Gear 1 and 2. Put more story in, better graphics, etc.

He should've remade Portable Ops instead. I heard its online play was fantastic and I love the gameplay and story more than Peace Walker personally.

BRING BACK MGS3 ONLINE! I didn't get to play it :(. I'm eager to see an HD MGS2 and 3 though!

Posted: June 16, 2011 7:57 PM
    RP_Puzzle
  • RickAstin

Is there gonna be a standalone HD PeaceWalker? Not that I don't like the other games there....but if I can get the one I don't have for cheaper....makes more sense then paying for a collection....especially if the collection really is just the base games...

If it were to include substance, subsistance and and similar content for Peace Walker....that may be different...

I figure Twin Snakes omission is probably due to the nintendo element there....not to mention that while it's a great game and provides the same story....it doesn't quite fit right next to the others.... like that Hannibal collection with Anthony Hopkins on the cover that includes Manhunter instead of Red Dragon.....it'd just be weird...

that being said...it's a collection for god sakes....no one is expecting MGS to look like MGSIV ...toss it in anyway along with the VR missions and some other stuff....the fact that it wouldn't fit in visually is a bit of a crock...I mean...there was that whole flashback sequence in MGSIV....didn't seem to bother anyone....perhaps a voucher to download it off the PSN instead....

Of course I always want more for my money....The other PSP games for example....and perhaps some of the MGO DLC?

While I am ranting and raving....I realize that wishing for the moon...doesn't diminish the awesomeness of being awarded an Island instead....just saying...would be nice.

In remake territory....should note that it's high time for MG and MG2 to get some spotlight...

Posted: June 16, 2011 4:57 PM
    RickAstin
  • xMetalxHead

It should have been the subsistance vesion of 2, and 3, than make one for 1, and twin snakes, AND have portable ops, peace walker, and MGS4, so it would have been every MGS game.

Posted: June 16, 2011 2:36 PM
    xMetalxHead
  • zimmy91

I just hope that its the subsistence versions of 2/3 cause those extras are so damn funny :D

Posted: June 16, 2011 1:22 PM
    zimmy91
  • ninenightmares

great so goodbye vacation hello bigger gaming library lol and its awesome that hideo kojima speaks real good english with a real good western accent.

Posted: June 16, 2011 7:21 AM
    ninenightmares
  • TheGlue29

Can't wait to see MGS3 and Peace Walker remastered with Trophies.

MGS2...yeah...but not so much.

Posted: June 16, 2011 6:41 AM
    TheGlue29
  • xXORaNG3Xx

@nickv1212
    dude twin snakes is a gamecube remake of the original MGS for the PlayStation 1.. and yes i do agree they should make a HD version of the original one from PSX

Posted: June 16, 2011 1:42 AM
  • Princkyuubi

I SURE HOPE SOO!! lol I'm A HUGE Fan And Will Buy This For Both My Xbox and ps3!! If It Gets Sold Out.... You Can Blame ME For That!! lol Ohh And Of Course My Many Hardcore Friends Who Are Also HARDCORE MGS Fans... ^/_\^

Posted: June 15, 2011 10:28 PM
    Princkyuubi
  • hoof_hearted4

i like when things are console exclusive, it gives more pride when you have that console, so i hate to see MGS series being multi console...freaking sucks

Posted: June 15, 2011 10:27 PM
    hoof_hearted4
  • nickv1212

They should've put Twin Snakes, that would solve the graphical problem.

Posted: June 15, 2011 8:18 PM
    nickv1212
  • leakime

That's great and all but I think the big question here is: How did the addition of a right analog stick feel? Does it now feel like MGS4?

Posted: June 15, 2011 6:39 PM