Mortal Kombat - Xbox 360

Game Description:The newest chapter of the iconic fight franchise marks a triumphant return to the series’ mature presentation and a reinvention of its classic 2D fighting mechanic. Driven by an all new graphics engine, the fan favourite Fatality is back and presented in more gory detail than ever before. In addition, Mortal Kombat introduces a number of new game-play features including tag team and the deepest story mode of any fighting game. Players can choose from an extensive line up of the game’s iconic warriors and challenge their friends in traditional 1 vs. 1 matches, or take on several new game modes.
G4TV Rating
5 / 5
  • Avg User Rating
    (113 Ratings)
    4.8 / 5
  • Rate This Game
E3 2010: Mortal Kombat Hands-On Preview
Article_71107

E3 2010: Mortal Kombat Hands-On Preview

By Jake Gaskill - Posted Jun 18, 2010

What We Know:

While we haven’t known the specifics of what Warner Bros. Interactive were planning for their next Mortal Kombat installment, we have been expecting it for some time. Well, at least for two years since the release of Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe back in 2008, which was more of a bizarre experiment in crossover gaming than a true MK game, but it tried its best to scratch the itch of longtime MK fans, and did a relative decent job of it. Still, there’s nothing like an all out, hard M-rated MK game, and that’s why fans should are going to love what MK creator Ed Boon and his team are doing with Mortal Kombat.

What We’re Seeing Now:

Classic Mortal Kombat. As Ed Boon explained, the new MK is, at its core, a “love letter to the fans,” and all it takes is one look at the game in action to see that this is absolutely the case. Not only will the cast of characters include such series staples as Sub-Zero, Scorpion and Reptile, but the stages include some of the most iconic stages in the franchise’s history. This nostalgic approach is actually tied into the game’s narrative as well as Raiden fabricates an alternate reality in which he attempts to reconstruct the first three MK games in order to alter events in the present, specifically his own death.

This means that classic characters and stages will be returning, but in slightly different forms. However, the one aspect that hasn’t changed is the brutality of the fighting and fluidity of the combat. The last MK game I played was Mortal Kombat: Armageddon for the Wii, which was a wholly different style of game than traditional MK titles, and yet as soon as I picked up the controller, and hit back, back, punch and Scorpion tossed out his trusty spear, I felt right at home.

The attention to detail with the characters, from their outfits to their animations, is spectacular, and watching the bloody mayhem unfold onscreen never ceases to satisfy. Gore fans will be pleased to know that the game features persistent damage, so characters will lose chunks of flesh and get splashed with blood as the fight progresses. The developers spent a lot of time creating the most realistic blood possible, and when you see the plasma puddles start to brown the longer the blood is exposed to the air, or see it coat character’s faces and arms, you realize all that time was well spent.

While we’re talking violence, I should touch briefly on fatalities even though I only saw a couple. Sweet lord. Fans have been calling for them, and man have the developers delivered. Just from the few I saw, it’s clear that this is going to be a non-stop cringe-fest. Now, the fatalities are gruesome and depraved by themselves (watching a guy get pulled into Kung Lao’s spinning razorblade hat and sawed in half, or Reptile puking acid down someone’s throat, for instance), but they are made even more disturbing by the fact that the characters have all been modeled down to the bone and include internal organs, veins and tissue. So when you see Johnny Cage’s torso ripped from his legs, you can expect to see all the appropriate sinews and flesh that would be present should such a fate befall someone in the real world.

On the combat side, the team has done away with preset combo strings. All the moves in the game can now be mixed and matched by the player to create custom combos. This gives the combat tremendous depth and variety, and ensures endless amounts of experimentation and discovery on the player’s part. This freeform design really shines in the game’s new tag-team mode, which is simply a two-on-two fight in which players can swap between fighters at any time. There’s tons of strategy involved when it comes to picking your two fighters, and, again, opens the door for tons of experimentation. Best of all, if you time it correctly, you can create multi-character combos that can generate massive amounts of damage.

The game also features a three-tiered special move system that can be either be used to unleash bone-crushing attacks, or break up an opposing player’s combo. The super attacks are accompanied by slow motion zoom-ins on specific body parts that are then shown via X-Ray so you can actually see the bones shattering inside the character. Again, next stop, cringeville.

Two matches wasn’t nearly enough to draw any definitive conclusions about the overall game, but it definitely assured me that MK fans are in for a real treat when this return-to-its-bloody-roots fighting title returns to the fight in 2011 on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

• DamienJohnsonEq2

I'm personally looking forward to this, I really hope they add a good few fatalities to try out, that or some new ideas. I'm sure they can come up with a lot more than the basic limb ripping, but even so I tend to favor Mortal Kombat anyway, started playing MK2 on Saga sense the age of 4

Posted: August 1, 2010 11:37 PM
  • micrapple

OMG, why didn't I inform on Mortal Kombat: Rebird movie? Hello? G4 staff, are you there?

Posted: July 21, 2010 4:01 AM
    micrapple
  • Cryo$tinG267

I love the preview. I'm a huge MK fan and I hope this one will top all of these other fighting games that had already come out. I'm glad MK is finally going back to its fatality ways with a more darker touch. XD

Posted: July 10, 2010 4:27 PM
    Cryo%24tinG267
  • Ghost_Slayer666

I'm wondering how many MK characters they are going to include, i'm hoping they put all of them in aside from the classics such as scorpion and sub-zero.

Posted: June 22, 2010 11:46 PM
  • dctromotola

are there any new characters?

Posted: June 22, 2010 3:12 PM
    dctromotola
  • Kello

Hi, Here's how to get yourself a free PS3, iPod, wii or even cash!. Just go to - ur freegiftscom It's FREE and has been� researched by the BBC to be absolutely genuine. Simply� go to the site and select the gift you would like or� cash if you prefer. For full info and proof its real� just go to urfree giftscom

Posted: June 22, 2010 9:31 AM
    Kello
  • Kello

Posted: June 22, 2010 9:30 AM
    Kello
  • Kello

Posted: June 22, 2010 9:25 AM
    Kello
  • Pippdaddy

Wow, I can't wait for this. I remember playing the first MK's with friends when I was 11 and we'd spend all night having tournaments while drinking lots of soda and being beyond hyper. If this was the MK back then I think we would have been scarred mentally for life, so I'm glad I'm grown up and well educated. This is the MK game I've been waiting for, the fighting looks spot on and the fatalities look to be amazing. Normally I wouldn't wish for time to fly by, but please 2011 get here fast.

Posted: June 21, 2010 1:28 AM
    Pippdaddy
  • randallmcginness

well I just went 6 to 12

Posted: June 20, 2010 2:35 PM
    randallmcginness
  • Justan85

I would love to see this game play this way. I think that MK vs DC was a let down. It's a very fun game to play but your Mortal Kombat and you didn't live up to your own name. Question: What do people love about MK, and why do they go to the gamestop, walmart, toyRUs, and any place that sell games; to pre order Mortal Kombat. I will tell you why because the FATALITY that why. Street Fighter, Tekken6, SoulCalibur5, Tatsunoko vs Capcom some of the game that are beating you, HOW... HOW... Mortal Kombat is the best game in the Hold World but only if you live up to your name. I LOVE THIS PRE VIEW AN CAN'T WAIT TO BUY THE GAME. I have Mortal Kombat ideas if you want them

Posted: June 19, 2010 8:22 AM
  • Dooky4u

This is the mortal kombat game ive been waiting for! My favorite was UMK3 and MK3 for sega genesis and N64... so if this is like a remake of those 2 games i would buy this game in a heartbeat! But im a diehard mk fan to begin with so i buy any and every mk game that comes out. This is definitally one that should revamp the whole franchise and all you mk fans should expect big things from ed boon and warner bros this time.

Posted: June 19, 2010 5:46 AM
  • InsideMK

Great Preview!!! This Mortal Kombat will rock! Seems the best MK and absolutely one of the best and fun fighting game in this generation!

Posted: June 19, 2010 12:10 AM
  • samking

I LOVE MORTAL KOMBAT

Posted: June 18, 2010 7:48 PM
  • L1ke20N1njas

Oh my... GOD! This is going to be one of the BEST game of 2011. I CANNOT WAIT ANY LONGER. I NEED TO PLAY IT NAO!

Posted: June 18, 2010 1:36 PM
    L1ke20N1njas
  • theycallmemud

its about time MK has needed a serious return to form

Posted: June 18, 2010 12:15 PM
    theycallmemud
  • Jackal904

I love Mortal Kombat. I'm pumped for this game.

Posted: June 18, 2010 11:39 AM
    Jackal904
  • CyberSaint2009

Holy Mother of God... I think I just came a little thinking about it. Between this and the short video on YouTube, I'm in MK heaven. I've been waiting for this day for ages, since before MK Vs. DC.

Posted: June 18, 2010 11:18 AM
    CyberSaint2009
  • NocturnalX

Can't wait. Should be fun.

Posted: June 18, 2010 10:06 AM