Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1 - Xbox 360

Game Description: Just like the movies, the final installment of the Harry Potter saga, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1, is being broken into two games. Part 1 is a radical shift in gameplay from previous Potters, as it more resembles a cover-based shooter. The Kinect feature allows you to cast spells at death eaters.
G4TV Rating
2 / 5
  • Avg User Rating
    (8 Ratings)
    2.6 / 5
  • Rate This Game
E3 2010: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1 Hands-On
Article_70912

E3 2010: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1 Hands-On

By Patrick Klepek - Posted Jun 02, 2010

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1

If Electronic Arts was hoping to generate some headlines and shocking double-takes with their new Harry Potter adaptation, they've wildly succeeded. Whether they've been able to produce the Harry Potter game that fans have been waiting for since they signed onto the series remains an open question. Regardless of quality, however, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1 looks and plays unlike any Harry Potter game you've ever seen. It plays like...well, Gears of War.

As a huge fan of the series, I've played through the last few Harry Potter games produced by EA to interact with J.K. Rowling's fleshed-out world, not because they're particularly great games. When I sat down with Deathly Hallows at EA's pre-E3 event in Los Angeles a few weeks back, my mouth immediately dropped when one of the game's producers complimented the other developer guiding Harry around on executing a great "head shot" against a Death Eater. Head shots in a Harry Potte game? Clearly, EA is going for a grown-up audience with this one.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1

The direction reflects the maturation of the audiences, EA told me. The kids who got into the series with Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone may have been 9 or 10-years old then, but have grown up with the series as Rowling's wizarding tales have become darker and darker. Those very same kids are now looking at Call of Duty and Gears of War for their gaming fun, not participating in another year of Hogwarts mini-games. Thus, the stark change in design direction.

EA let me play through a tiny slice of a single stage in Deathly Hallows during the event. The game will feel immediately comfortable to anyone who's played a modern third-person-shooter. Harry can hide behind the destructible environment with the game's cover system, swap between spells with a radial weapon menu brought up with one of the bumper buttons, and the spells themselves have been modified to act more like traditional video game weapons, including high-powered pistols, machine guns, shields and, of course, wall-destroying bazookas.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1

The experience was incredibly awkward, partially fueled by the early-development feel -- Deathly Hallows definitely feels like a team's first attempt at a cover shooter -- and the surrealist nature of engaging in endless combat that channeled more Cliff Bleszinski than J.K. Rowling. Much of that stemmed from EA describing Deathly Hallows using "head shots" and other shooter norms. Such terminology may make it easier for non-Potter fans to understand what the equivalents are in the Harry Potter universe, but machine gun comparisons gave an off-putting first impression.

Getting gamers excited about yet another Harry Potter game has been a challenging task for EA. While I have reservations about the direction of Deathly Hallows, if EA's goal was to change the conversation about expectations for their next Harry Potter game, they've already done that.

• JasonAnder

Spardyman, well in Deathly Hallows they aren't even at Hogwarts until the war at the end so it would be impossible to do that Zelda type game.

EA were asking what other spells we would like to see in the game via Facebook and if they use a lot of the suggestions they got, this game could be really great. Like some invisibility spell to temporarily make us invisible during combat. A exploding spell that can be used like grenades. Depluso and Accio to throw or attract people and objects. Petrificus Totalus to freeze people. Impedimenta to slow down thrown objects, spell, or people. Also Incendio(for fire), Deprimo(for control of winds), Aqua Eructo(for water), Lumos, and Sectumsempra.

The game has a lot of possibilities for engaging magic battles. :P

Posted: June 23, 2010 11:05 AM
  • legendmoltre

this could have amazing potential i would love to play it especially on 3DS this is what j.k.rowling was going for!!!!!HP FTW!!!!!

Posted: June 19, 2010 12:44 PM
  • LegendaryFluffy

No, don't take inspiration from Gears and CoD, you fools! Take it from ME2!

Posted: June 11, 2010 7:37 AM
    LegendaryFluffy
  • HarryOrell

Sign me up.

Posted: June 9, 2010 4:46 PM
  • TheGlue29

Given how combat intensive The Deathly Hallows was as a book, this is probably the only way they could've gone with the game.

Posted: June 9, 2010 4:12 PM
    TheGlue29
  • steveo3242391

When I first read about the new Potter game being for more mature audiences, I immediately thought of Batman Arkham Asylum, and how that game was amazing and was "dark". If this Harry Potter game takes a step forward like Batman did, then I will be playing this game. If not, just go back to the Chamber of Secrets style, I liked that game back in the day.

Posted: June 9, 2010 12:56 PM
    steveo3242391
  • cfranklin

I must say, due to being a die hard potter fan, when I read comments about it sucking just because it is a movie game, I was offended. But, its true. Most movie games suck. But due to the new more mature and Gears of War style approach, this might not be as bad as long as they stick to the book and let us play through the good fights. I get sick and tired of watching the good fights in a game, but not getting to play them? Who's with me?

Posted: June 8, 2010 8:44 PM
  • dantastic4

Am I the only one a little sick and tired of them whoring out that unreal engine.Whats next a looney tunes game with the unreal engine or maybe a Barbie game.

Posted: June 7, 2010 2:04 PM
    dantastic4
  • Rexblood

that it plays like gears of war is not necessarily a bad thing specially for people that haven't played GOW too much ( like me)
    I have played GOW and It's pretty good, so people should't be disappointed because of this, I think g4 is making it sound like a bad thing but it's actually good.
    the only problem could be that they kill the story, or they don't give a lot of room to explore....for example, in the book they sometimes are in a forest or some place like that and they have to get somewhere else, it'd be cool if they put you in that forest and let you choose which way to go and find the right way yourself instead of just telling exactly where to go all the time.
    I think it is going to be a linear game for the most part( i hope i'm wrong) but this is a game that needs exploration and give a feel of adventure.
    I personally find the story very interesting, and hope the game doesn't disappoint...

Posted: June 7, 2010 9:00 AM
  • yairnv

games based on movies usually suck

Posted: June 6, 2010 12:50 PM
  • sgtpepper572

I've got to think that they have ditched the free roaming around hogwarts of the last couple games because this book/movie doesnt take place in the castle at all until the very end which will be in part 2

Posted: June 5, 2010 10:36 AM
    sgtpepper572
  • Peneart

I have some serious reservations about this game. I'm not even going to buy it but I still feel awkward with this game. One since it is a movie video game and hardly any of them are good but also that there just doesn't seem to be any loyalty to the book, movie, or storyline. I'm not even a big harry potter fan or anything I just don't feel cozy with this game

Posted: June 5, 2010 8:32 AM
    Peneart
  • DarthHerter

who cares never liked the harry potter games, but love the movies. i won't play this even if i resembled RDR or GTA. i just don't care...

Posted: June 5, 2010 8:29 AM
    DarthHerter
  • chubi-_-

it would be funny if it turns out to be comletely amazing haha now we are all saying wtf is this gears of potter? but what if it won goty haha (doubt it completely) all hypothetical of course

Posted: June 3, 2010 8:38 PM
  • Scribbled

Oh man, I hope this is good. I love Harry Potter, I finally want a game that will do it justice! But I agree with what most of you are saying, CoS was awesome. I played it on the original xbox, and I spent hours flying around aimlessly on my broom.

Posted: June 3, 2010 6:36 PM
    Scribbled
  • zends

Hopefully it's better than HP1 on ps1 (classic ) :)

Posted: June 3, 2010 3:45 PM
    zends
  • christof_

As a huge Potter fan, I think this could be really cool.

Posted: June 3, 2010 1:04 PM
    christof_
  • obanana1

the game sounds very cool still i have some fears that lead to these questions about the game:
    -can we play as bad guys in the game in multi-player.etc...?
    -is their a 2-4 players (team play)in the campaign?
    -will there be flying?
    -how much will the game cost cause by what iv in the article EA has has added (changed)allot of things in the game?
    -will their be a PC version cause i travel allot and id rather have it in my laptop?
    -can you destroy stuff just for fun(do bad a$$ things like in INFAMOUS )?

Posted: June 3, 2010 2:29 AM
    obanana1
  • Reaper0411

I can't wait to check this out! It seems like it could be a lot of fun to play. The last several games seemed to glance over any fun part of the books that contained combat and just play the video of it happening, ex: Order of the Phoenix at the ministry of magic. I felt let down that I couldn't control anything that was happening, and just had to sit and watch it play out! It would've been fun to battle the Death Eaters, and Voldemort in the endgame senario.

Posted: June 3, 2010 1:46 AM
    Reaper0411
  • seriously

i dont know why everyone thinks this new 3rd person shooter concept is a good thing. i want to feel like i am using magic not a gun

Posted: June 2, 2010 9:32 PM