Transformers: War for Cybertron - Xbox 360

Game Description: Experience the war that tore apart the planet of Cybertron in this action title that chronicles the epic battle between the legendary Autobots and the Decepticons.
G4TV Rating
4 / 5
  • Avg User Rating
    (42 Ratings)
    4.5 / 5
  • Rate This Game
Transformers: War for Cybertron Preview
Article_70020

Transformers: War for Cybertron Preview

By Patrick Klepek - Posted Feb 26, 2010

Do you like Gears of War? Do you like Transformers? Wouldn't you like a slick mashup of the two? Then, you'll want to keep a close eye on Activision and High Moon Studio's Transformers: War for Cybertron, which was shown for the first time at DICE in Las Vegas and left me with the impression High Moon's on track to produce one hell of a Transformers game.

Transformers: War for Cyberton has no connection to the two Michael Bay films in the Transformers universe. I'm told the game doesn't contradict the storylines established in either of those films, but High Moon pitched Transformers: War for Cybertron as their own thing, allowing them to reinvision the look of the Transformers themselves and tell a portion of the Transformers mythology that has gone surprisingly untold throughout the franchise's history.

Transformers

Here's what stuck out the most during my 20-minute demo: three-player co-op. Oh, hell yes. Given that each of us has own favorite transformer, if there ever was a series that was begging for drop-in, drop-out co-op multiplayer, this is it. You don't get to choose from the entire Transformers roster in each mission, however. There are three robots available at the start of each mission, but players can choose whom they'd like to assume control of.

The roster is split into the expected factions of Autobots and Decepticons. Rather than have players swap between the two perspectives, however, High Moon has split the narrative. The Decepitcons act as the prologue, setting the events in motion for the character we more commonly know as Optimus Prime. In this story, he's just Optimus. The "prime" label is attached to the leader of the Autobots. The first half of Transformers: War for Cyberton follows the Megatron-led Decepticons' bid to destroy the Autobots once and for all, while the second half chronicles the Autobots' defense of Cybertron. With a tinge of sadness, we actually know how that story ends: they decide to leave Cybertron, eventually finding Earth.

Earth, however, is not part of this story. Here, it's all about Cybertron, a city that's crumbling from the inside out. And that's probably one of the most impressive parts of the game: the city itself. We've never seen much of Cybertron, but High Moon has taken great pains to help realize this grand, mechanical city that we've always had lingering in the back of our minds. We even get to see what's below the city streets of Cybertron, a place with scary, organic creatures. Sure, it all has a shiny look that comes with many games built upon Epic Games' Unreal Engine 3, but it's easy to look past, simply because, well, it's frickin' Transformers.

It's clear High Moon has played other failed Transformers games as well, including Activision's own effort, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. The act of "transforming" should be at the forefront of a Transformers video game, but Revenge of the Fallen made that an awkward experience. That's not the case here. Rather, the game is encouraging players to abuse the transformation button. A quick tap of the left analog stick will morph the player from one form to the other in real-time, no pauses. There is no cool-down period, either. Switch as often as you like! Being able to seamlessly transition between the two forms creates for some great combat dynamics, especially for the characters who have the ability to take to the air.

The biggest complaint I can currently level against Transformers: War for Cybertron is that I wasn't allowed to give the game a test drive so everything is based on observation. I think it's a good game. It looks like a great game. The developers are telling and showing me all the right things. Developing a solid Transformers game seems like a no-brainer, but it's taken us a really long time to get this close. There's no assurance this one won't fall off a cliff, but High Moon are clearly fans of the franchise and without the pressure of hitting a movie's release date, there's reason to have hope.

• g4nutt

kewl,can't wait for this one,now if someone talk to High Moon or Rocksteady or even Bungie in doing a good respectable G.I.JOE game,plz

Posted: March 29, 2010 2:17 PM
    g4nutt
  • EJ_THE_GOD

i am ganna play this game untill my fingers brake off

Posted: March 28, 2010 5:15 PM
    EJ_THE_GOD
  • Genocide666

i wonder if this game will be more than meets the eye. haha

Posted: March 27, 2010 3:21 PM
    Genocide666
  • PeterNader

this game would be so much better with co-op campaign and multiplayer online

Posted: March 22, 2010 9:12 PM
    PeterNader
  • krypto74

Please don't suck, Please don't suck, Please don't suck...

Silly game has me praying again.

Posted: March 11, 2010 12:43 PM
    krypto74
  • sumogamer

cant wait til it comes out i love there imagination of planet cybertron

Posted: March 9, 2010 3:06 PM
    sumogamer
  • MrTruth901

Mighty Go BoTS.....FTW !!!!!

Posted: March 7, 2010 6:22 PM
    MrTruth901
  • JoshN2D

Heres to hoping this game is fantasic. Like the writer pointed out making a good transfomers game shouldnt be very hard. have robots that morph and blow lotsa things up. Easy. But no body has done it yet so we will see.

Posted: March 6, 2010 8:45 PM
    JoshN2D
  • Justa x Hustle

Not to jump in the future with leaps and bounds...but If this game does well (something tells me this'll be a 3.5/5 if not 4/5) I hope they tackle Beast Wars in the near future...If you don't know what I'm talking about...you don't deserve to know transformers!

Posted: March 5, 2010 8:10 PM
    Justa+x+Hustle
  • Xboxman77

OMG i will definitely be first in line for this game, I would even kill someone for this if I have to(probably not lol) this game looks so damn amazing, the only thing that is pissing me off about this is the fact that it isn't coming out december 31st WTF!!!

Posted: March 5, 2010 10:14 AM
    Xboxman77
  • deadpool79

Unicron for the win!!

Posted: March 1, 2010 4:12 PM
    deadpool79
  • benvoliothefirst

I have to do my patriotic duty as a TransFormers nerd and point out that Cybertron is a PLANET, not a city... if the game takes place in the Capitol City that'd be Iacon.

Posted: March 1, 2010 3:04 PM
    benvoliothefirst
  • Wildcard273

Omega Supreme FTW! I wonder if any of the triple changers will be in it. My favorite was Astrotrain.

Posted: March 1, 2010 1:57 PM
    Wildcard273
  • moogle515

i want this game to be good

Posted: February 28, 2010 11:09 PM
    moogle515
  • STCook

they are finally taking iconic franchises like batman and transformers and giving them a game to be proud of. i see a new trend starting and heres hoping that more companies keep this trend going.

Posted: February 28, 2010 8:02 PM
    STCook
  • BlakFrogJak

opppsss...I meant "ISN"T" another crapfest....fail...

Posted: February 28, 2010 7:45 AM
    BlakFrogJak
  • BlakFrogJak

I myself have been a lifelong Transformers fan, So must say I am also PRAYING this is another crapfest like the previous two games. However it seems like you all have forgotten about Atari's Transformer game for the PS2. That was a great game that captured the essence of playing Optimus Prime.

By the way, Viva-Humanity, I'm with ya on the Hot-Rod thing, but if this takes place before Prime is even "Prime"; Good chance he doesn't exist yet....but where's the love for Kup???? He's ancient. I wanna see Young KUP!!!

Posted: February 28, 2010 7:43 AM
    BlakFrogJak
  • Dark_SpectreX

I Do hope this game turns out better then Transformers and Transformers revenge of the fallen. If High moon studios can make this as fantastic as Rocksteady did for batman then this will be a day one purchase for me.

And PLEASE include ALL the G1 autobots and decepticons. I am happy omega supreme is in the game cause that kicked ass. If devestator also appears that would be sweet as well.

Posted: February 27, 2010 8:52 PM
  • Viva_Humanity

I hope Hot-Rod is in the game. The only thing that could derail this, is if the vehicular combat is slippery and loose. Couldn't see enough of the combat from the four-wheel perspective. I have high hopes though.

Posted: February 27, 2010 8:22 PM
    Viva_Humanity
  • deathnotejoe

o....m....g.... i really really really REALLY hope this turns out good. i always wanted to play a transformer game before they made the movies into games and since the movie games sucked, i am looking forward to this one

Posted: February 27, 2010 7:56 PM