Dead Space 2 - Xbox 360

Game Description: Dead Space 2 for Xbox 360 features the return of engineer turned alien-killer Isaac Clarke in this next installment of EA's survival horror series. Dead Space 2 features an exciting new collection of necromorphs that Isaac will have to battle.
G4TV Rating
4 / 5
  • Avg User Rating
    (84 Ratings)
    4.8 / 5
  • Rate This Game
First Impressions of Dead Space 2
Article_70786

First Impressions of Dead Space 2

By Tom Price - Posted May 13, 2010

Dead Space 2

If I told you that Dead Space 2 doesn’t reinvent the wheel, and is a lot like the original Dead Space when it comes down to it, would you really be all that disappointed? The critically-acclaimed 2008 title fostered a near cult-like following among those who played it and were instantly addicted to the deep space setting, and survival/horror type gameplay. So saying that Dead Space 2 looks like more of that good stuff with a new setting, new weapons, and new aliens should be good news for fans of the burgeoning series.

The main objective of the developers at Visceral Games was to refine and improve the first game, and not make any complete departures from what made it great. Making the game better begins with making the main character Isaac better. He may have been a lowly engineer at the beginning of the first game, but now he’s seen some things, man, and he’s a lot more grizzled and tough. He’s more in charge now, with better command of his suit and equipment’s power, which provides a greater sense of control and more abilities to play with. That includes increased kinetic powers -- which can turn al kinds of debris and body parts into flying weapons -- and increased agility in your new line of space suits you’ll unlock as you play the game. It’s like Isaac 2.0.

Dead Space 2

There’s a new setting for the game as well, though deep space is once again the overall background. This time around, the action takes Isaac to a sprawling mining colony on Titan, the largest moon of Saturn, where a large city has sprung up around the mine. Instead of exploring one single enormous space ship, you’ll experience diverse environments on Titan, from clean modern building interiors to cavernous mineshafts. In all of these locales, an improved graphics engine renders spooky lighting and shadows that generate the same sense of tension and dread we experienced in the first game. Maybe even more so. But don’t forget that you're still in outer space, and if the glass is breakable, you might not want to shoot it.

The gameplay still revolves around the concept of strategic dismemberment and the flexibility to kill enemies in a number of distinct ways. The new enemies offer new ways to kill (and be killed) as well. The Stalker is a timid monster that won’t confront you one-on-one, but will slowly try and get around behind you with a flanking maneuver. The Crawler, on the other hand, will charge you head-on and detonate near you, causing quite a mess. The Pack is another enemy that likes to charge you too, but they do it in a group, surrounding you with a bunch of small but fast-moving humanoids that look like a gang of zombie kids. Helpful here is the new Javelin weapon's area effect, which shoots an electrically-charged bolt that can spread its electro-shock across a wider area if shot in a group. Finally, there’s the Cyst, which is more of a non-sentient hazard that looks like an organic mine. Of course, avoiding the Cyst is key, but with your advanced kinetic abilities and improvisational skills, you can easily turn it against other enemies.

Dead Space 2

A lot of other details about Dead Space 2 are being held close to the vest, including changes to the store and workbench functions, as well as what the final HUD will look like. But the overall impression so far is of a game that will deliver the same chills and thrills that the first one did, but with enough new stuff to feel like a true sequel. Dead Space 2 will be available for Xbox 360, PS3 and PC sometime this year.

• adam.xp

WOW(3!!!this game is crazyMAN!!!i vote this game DA BEST(BIG ASS FAN HEREvvI AM a FAN OF DEAD SPACe222222222

Posted: June 16, 2010 12:38 AM
    adam.xp
  • Mahel

Loot freaking awsomee i played the demo of the first one it was sweet die prettz fast thoe lol

Posted: June 12, 2010 10:38 AM
    Mahel
  • dukeletoatreides

When I was checking out Visceral Games' website and they were hiring for a Senior Level Designer among other positions and it leaned heavily to the development of Dead Space 2. Would they be hiring for those important roles this far into development? It is a little unnerving to think they are still looking for the right people to create the game at this point. Comments?

Posted: June 10, 2010 10:51 AM
    dukeletoatreides
  • gigotech

i hope they include the chainsaw thing from the movie as a usable weapon

Posted: May 23, 2010 9:23 PM
    gigotech
  • rayken15

I loved the first game, but I agree with the complaints about the suit. It just doesn't fit. It looks kind of girly actually lol.

Posted: May 20, 2010 8:41 PM
    rayken15
  • Thom85

All that sounds good, but what's with Issac's 'stealth suit'? For me, part of the charm of the first game was Issac's clunky, utilitarian suit that evoked that "truckers in space" vibe. It looks like he's wearing a wetsuit up there! Regardless, I'm still looking forward to the game, but I wonder why the designers would mess with such an iconic image (or if they were going to mess with it, why go halfway and mesh the old helmet to the new suit when they really don't have the same aesthetic)?

Posted: May 18, 2010 1:41 PM
    Thom85
  • dkewee

Ahh Dead Space. I loved the first one to no end and played it through perhaps six or seven times before I felt like I fully beat it. Impossible difficulty made the scares even better because some of the monsters could slice you in two in one blow. I really can't wait for the sequel because for once I feel like I'm not playing just another shooter thrown at me.

Posted: May 18, 2010 10:39 AM
    dkewee
  • syn079

The first game was great and this one looks better. The only thing I don't like is Isaac's new helmet. He looks like a damn transformer now.

Posted: May 17, 2010 6:46 PM
    syn079
  • GatsuBlackSword

So Stoked For This Game, Really Enjoyed The First One.

Posted: May 17, 2010 10:16 AM
    GatsuBlackSword
  • GINNGASAUREZREX

You see this game sounds perfect, I mean I loved the first one and everything but the only thing I worry about now is that once I beat the first on, that was it I really had no drive to play through it a second time. I hope they worked on something to make the game more enjoyable the second time around.

Posted: May 17, 2010 9:15 AM
  • HakSoftMicro

Cant wait for this title. I just played #1 3 times to get all the achievements. @bigpoppadars do you really think dead space 2 should have multiplayer. I think it would ruin the game. If you want multiplayer go buy Lost Planet 2 /epic fail.

Posted: May 16, 2010 5:14 PM
    HakSoftMicro
  • BigPoppaDars

This game looks crazy, I hope they put in some multiplayer modes like horde or something.

Posted: May 16, 2010 4:03 AM
  • BigPoppaDars

Posted: May 16, 2010 4:01 AM
  • Fex_Anderson

I <3 Dead Space... I even loved the Wii rail shooter. I'm glad they're giving Isaac a voice and I'm glad they're covering some new ground story-wise. The events before the original Dead Space were re-done time and time again. I had it pre-ordered pretty much since the Game Informer issue came out, but this just makes me even more excited.

Posted: May 15, 2010 8:44 PM
    Fex_Anderson
  • 1nitial_D

sounds great

Posted: May 15, 2010 8:35 AM
    1nitial_D
  • shyguy

I look at it this way....This as close as we're going to get to the original concept of Dark Sector. And....for that, I thank EA and Visceral Games.. Pssssst....D3 Publisher...go back to the orginal concept.

Posted: May 14, 2010 7:52 AM
  • Viper12

Nerdgasm...first one rocked like no other, and i will have to get Alan Wake in the mean time to fulfill my horror survival addiction. Come on January, where are you?

Posted: May 14, 2010 6:17 AM
    Viper12
  • JayHy17

Buying this game. Love the first Dead Space, sequel will be even better. Boom.

Posted: May 13, 2010 11:51 PM
    JayHy17
  • CoryG89

Awesome looking, I was scared they were gonna run it right into the ground for the masses.

Posted: May 13, 2010 8:00 PM
  • DreamingMercenary

My fears for the next installment are the same I had for the first. Now don't get me wrong, the first was good and fun and more then a bit jumpy. But it lacked that ability to creep into your head and start pulling and crossing neurons for fun. That and after countless hours running around gun metal gray corridors with glass panel windows, it would be nice to mix up the environments from time to time. Like in a few scenes from the first one, that big cylinder you fought that giant boss in, the few moments you stepped outside into the vacuum of space and such. Perhaps the second one can let us explore some mines, stroll through a shopping district or even a garden like sanctuary...all filled with more twisted limbs of necromorphs then you can shake a stick at.

Posted: May 13, 2010 3:24 PM