Fable 3 - Xbox 360

Game Description: Of Fable 3: "What would you sacrifice to secure the crown of Albion? " This is the question that players will have to answer as the king or queen of a kingdom in peril in the third installment in the acclaimed Lionhead Studios franchise.
G4TV Rating
4 / 5
  • Avg User Rating
    (104 Ratings)
    4.2 / 5
  • Rate This Game
X10 Report: Fable III
Article_69945

X10 Report: Fable III

By Andrew Pfister - Posted Feb 11, 2010

Fable III, announced at last fall’s GamesCom convention in Germany, is the latest installment in Peter Molyneux’s ambitious action-adventure series/venue for wacky gameplay & meta-life simulation experimentations. Contrary to previous industry scuttlebutt, the amount of Project Natal usage is apparently yet-to-be decided. Some motion-control may still happen, but everything I saw in today’s demo was completely controller-based and familiar to anyone who’s played previous Fable games.

What’s the status?

The lead character of Fable III is actually your 18-year old son from Fable II. Albion is ruled by an evil tyrant, and the goal, as it always seems to be, is to depose him and take over. (At least, that’s the *first* goal…more on that below).

Fable III Concept Art -- Bowerstone Revisited

What we saw:

It was a multi-part demo designed to show off the two main features he wanted us to see pre-GDC. The first, and seemingly most important to Molyneux, is the concept of “touch.” It was shown to us by having your character hold hands with an NPC and lead them around Bowerstone. The first example was finding your daughter and returning her home to your understandably angry wife. The second was finding a bum down on his luck and helping him to his feet. Holding hands is a simple idea, but the effectiveness is going to be the context of what happens. In the case of your daughter, she’ll notice when you walk too close to the pub entrance and remind you that the Missus isn’t a fan of how often you’re there. In the far more hilarious case of the bum, he thinks that you’re helping him out by leading him to shelter…but then freaks out when he realizes that you’ve taken him to the factory and intend to sell him into servitude. Molyenux also noted that the touch concept also carries over into two-player co-operative play. So you can hold hands with your buddy and stroll through the countryside, admiring your handiwork.

The second game mechanic and significant change from previous Fable games is that Molyneux is throwing out some pretty established action-RPG conventions. Namely, on-screen indicators, traditional weapon upgrading, and leveling-up via experience. Done freaking out yet?

Fable III Concept Art -- Bowerstone Revisited

A quick explanation of the changes:

• Instead of a health bar, we get the “warping and blurring camera perspective” popularized by FPS games.
  • Instead of upgrading weapons, the weapons upgrade themselves both cosmetically and with increased power based on how you use them. Kill a certain type of enemy more often, and the color and texture will change. Keep killing with a certain weapon, and it’ll grow larger and change shape the more you use it. And the glow it emanates will change based on the guilt or innocence of your victims. This is tied to your Xbox Live Gamertag, and you will be forever marked as the one who created it.
  • Leveling-up and experience is replaced by the concept of “followers,” which you accrue and/or lose based on your decisions in the story.

And that’s the most interesting part of Fable III to me. Back at GamesCom during his first announcement, Molyneux talked about the idea of revolution and maintaining rule. The first half of the game, you’re gathering and leading a rebellion to overthrow the tyrant and assume your role as the new leader. But the second half deals with the ramifications of how you got to that power in the first place, and the responsibilities that power now entails. The game won’t change too dramatically – you’ll still be able to go outside and complete quests – but there are two new mechanics introduced. The first is that you can make “judgements” that affect the citizenry. The second is something Molyneux said he’s revealing at the upcoming Game Developers Conference in a few weeks.

When asked if the story would continue once you became King, Molyneux was coy, only willing to again stress that there would be consequences and debts you’ll have to consider related to your rise to power. If I had to hazard a guess as to what that means? Perhaps you’ll have to fend off another young upstart intent on toppling your rule...

• Inlighten

I liked how in the end she said "this is going to be a da#n good adventure" made me think or else these guys are getting there $alls chopped off right?

Posted: August 5, 2010 7:20 PM
    Inlighten
  • Sir Vanity

Three words about this: I just came.

Posted: February 21, 2010 7:29 PM
  • ChuckNorris432

I think that the idea of having followers be your experience is gunna work, I mean when i first read it I was thinking "what if you lose followers? Is that possible?" and then I thought oh thatd be pretty cool because then youd have to choose your path more carefully.
    Also the idea of Weapon modification via leveling, that is a bad ass. Just killing a load of bandits will modify your weapon so its bigger, stronger, and emits a glow.

Good job with this Lionhead! Good job!

Posted: February 19, 2010 9:17 AM
    ChuckNorris432
  • VizardKon85

I love the fable series I have the 1st Fable for the first X-box, I missed Fable II so I might actually buy an X-Box 360 for this game if they don't release Assassin's Creed III by then.

Posted: February 16, 2010 3:01 PM
    VizardKon85
  • 7sleven

Fable 2 was alot of fun but 3 is going to have to do alot more than personalized weapons, wings, and touching people to compete with rpg's like mass effect 2 and fallout new vegas this year. now i know they arent even close to the same kind of rpg or the same experience but with those minor improvements so far, it wont be winning game of the year again so far

Posted: February 16, 2010 2:39 PM
    7sleven
  • wilkersonlegend61

thats game is the best of all RPG game it the best i get 2 be a king thats wat am talking about

Posted: February 16, 2010 1:19 PM
    wilkersonlegend61
  • mydogkong

Hope the game is longer and harder to beat than Fable II. Needs to have better quality dlc too. loved the last one but there just wasn't enough content.

Posted: February 16, 2010 9:35 AM
    mydogkong
  • Dave+you

looks interesting but i do hope that they make the co op better than before

Posted: February 15, 2010 6:55 PM
    Dave%2byou
  • marsher

Fable II made me feel like a fatass just for having a lot of strength. (Or "body," as it was called.) I certainly hope the third fixes this.

Posted: February 15, 2010 5:43 PM
    marsher
  • NioShobu

I think this game looks interesting at best. I do want to play it and I consider the lack of traditional RPG elements as something that could be good or bad. The thing about games like Fable, is that each game should make a large change especially with that trend already starting to happen with amount of change between Fable and Fable II. That is a good thing to happen. It makes things more interesting and keeps the games from being the same each time. From the Developer Diary, I noticed that at least the looks and part of the locations are pretty similar to Fable II. I like that since there are a lot of locations and graphic styles transfering to Fable III, that the gameplay changes. The lack of RPG elements is also nice because it keeps it unique. I just hope that they don't go too far and still include things like healing spells and potions instead of doing what shooters do and make you go hide and wait.

Posted: February 15, 2010 1:23 PM
    NioShobu
  • FlyboyM

As long as it brings that warm feeling that the first one gave me then I'm in

Posted: February 15, 2010 1:16 PM
    FlyboyM
  • A-Bittersweet-Life

Your characters will sparkle in battle: Innovation at it's best?

Posted: February 14, 2010 6:35 PM
    A-Bittersweet-Life
  • kamikazeechimp

I hope they fix the co-op .

Posted: February 14, 2010 6:32 PM
    kamikazeechimp
  • revensapprentice77

The weapon thing sounds really cool, but I don't know why he is so excited about the prospect of touching people... He said in an interview somewhere that you could use it to like drag people down to a dungeon, but if you are the king, wouldn't you have people to do that for you?

I really hope I wont need to buy a natal to play this game, that would just make me mad. (boooo motion controllers)

Posted: February 13, 2010 11:27 PM
    revensapprentice77
  • Basilisk1991

Let's see there are now morphing weapons (Awesome!!), and the Idea that you can actually physically interact with people is promising (and they kept the dog, yes!).

Posted: February 13, 2010 5:03 PM
    Basilisk1991
  • swordgoatz

I will like Fable III as long as I can still become a real estate mogul. That's my favorite part of the game.

Posted: February 13, 2010 11:52 AM
    swordgoatz
  • TheSkywalker7

Fable III wiil be sooo awesome, even better than Fable II. The weapons features sound really interested and original. I cerntianly wouldn't be holdings hands with my buddy by I would hold my girlfroinds hand for sure. Can't wait for more info, problably for E3.

Posted: February 13, 2010 8:57 AM
    TheSkywalker7
  • JarmenKell700

ok this just looks sweet so far. This game looks like it's gonna take villainy to new heights... such evil heights.

Posted: February 12, 2010 5:51 PM
    JarmenKell700
  • iamosm

This game sounds crazy good. The leveling up of your weapon and its customization sounds awesome.

Posted: February 12, 2010 12:47 PM
    iamosm
  • SavageHunter

Well, I think Molyneux gives us less credit towards getting pissed than we deserve. Whatever, the only thing that annoys me is, ugh, regenerating health with the red filtered screen crap. Thats becoming a canerous disease on video games and it needs to be purged, not encouraged. However, I'm hopeful for this game but I'm going to reserve judgement until I actually see some gameplay. I hope it doesn't look as cartoony and dumb as Fable 2, and everyone talks normally rather than sounding mentally challenged. Those NPCs were so damn dumb. Every single one of them would say only like 1 of 2 things so I have a group around me cheering and all saying the same thing. Hopefully Fable 3 is much better than Fable 2.

Posted: February 12, 2010 10:39 AM