Crackdown 2 - Xbox 360

Game Description: The sequel to the hit open-world action game Crackdown, in which you are a super-powered city defender cleaning up the streets and collecting orbs that increase your abilities.
G4TV Rating
4 / 5
  • Avg User Rating
    (41 Ratings)
    3.6 / 5
  • Rate This Game
PAX East 2010: Crackdown 2 Rocket Tag Impressions
Article_70313

PAX East 2010: Crackdown 2 Rocket Tag Impressions

By Andrew Pfister - Posted Mar 26, 2010

Crackdown 2 Microsoft X10 Event Screens

What We Know: Ruffian Games, the team behind Crackdown 2, is made up of many members of the Realtime Worlds team that produced the first game. And it shows in the team's approach to the city. It's the same locale you played before, only much more war-torn and nasty. The Feed's first playthrough came during X10 in San Francisco, which you can read about here.

What We Saw: Crackdown 2: Can’t wait for it, Game of the Year 2010, would commit murder to have an early copy…all of these things I have said on the record, so my anticipation should be well-known by now. Good thing, then, that the multiplayer mode “Rocket Tag” is available to play on the show floor here at PAX East. I performed my professional duties by partaking in a round against the general public, and learned a valuable lesson that will play into my future Rocket Tag overall strategy: I am a rocket magnet.

Rocket Tag is fairly simple, as it should be: everyone playing is armed with a rocket launcher, and there’s a single gold-glowing orb on the map. The agent who maintains possession of the orb generates points; attackers are granted points for inflicting damage against the orb carrier. Most points at the end of the round decides the winner.Crackdown 2 Microsoft X10 Event Screens

There’s a bit more strategy to it than that, as you’ll want to aim your blast radius not only at the orb carrier, but also your fellow chasers in an effort to deny them the ability to get the orb or score damage points themselves. Scattered about the map are glowing blue zones that, when touched, will launch you across the environment – this is how you’ll either get away from threats or get closer to your target in a rapid manner. Simply relying on standard running and jumping isn’t going to yield impressive results. You’ll also need to be mindful of your rockets’ splash damage (which I frequently did not), as they will not discriminate in favor of the one who launched them (which I frequently did). So it remains to be seen if the PAX crowd picked up on the game quickly and was very good, or I’m still jet-lagged from Pacific Time and was very bad. Probably a little of both.

So now that I’ve actually played more Crackdown 2, my lust is temporarily satiated, and I would merely commit voluntary manslaughter for early access to the full thing. Fair warning, Ruffian guys. Though there is a way to protect yourselves…

• B1ack_Blob

So its oddball with rockets? lol Old gamemode is old, but still it looks like a hell of a lot of fun.

Posted: April 1, 2010 2:20 PM
    B1ack_Blob
  • Dontbejealous

I cant wait till it comes out!!
    And are there still going to be peace keepers that help you, but they better actullay HELP and not die after getting shot twice

Posted: March 31, 2010 5:20 AM
    Dontbejealous
  • greattom12

Gah! i wish this came out for PS3... DONT GET ALL FANBOY ON ME! i just dont feel like droppin another $300 for a 360 when i got a PS3

Posted: March 30, 2010 5:47 PM
    greattom12
  • Arkham Reject

People ain't lying. The first was great and if this improves on it then all the better.

Posted: March 29, 2010 11:43 AM
    Arkham+Reject
  • Hazerdhat

If this game improves on crackdown then for sure it will be an excellent game! I loved Crackdown Played it all the time and not for the Halo beta. I cant wait for this to come out, in summer too when the video game drought hits

Posted: March 28, 2010 9:33 PM
    Hazerdhat
  • d3stroyer427

I played this demo 3 times. There was a TDM, and there was Rocket Tag. Rocket Tag was absolutely brilliant!!! Everything he said was truth, and this game is a must buy! No joke, this demo was amazing!!!

Posted: March 28, 2010 4:32 PM
    d3stroyer427
  • Flight_Eagle

Gonna love this game. Love the first one. Had an OHMYGOD moment when i saw the trailer. For that, and Force Unleashed II.

Definitely a candidate, but not a winner. I'm assuming Other M will be on the list, as well as Halo: Reach. What else... Heavy Rain came out this year right? Did people like that?

Posted: March 28, 2010 1:33 AM
    Flight_Eagle
  • Lyr1c

I cant wait for this........I think i was one of the few people who actually bought Crackdown for Crackdown and not the Halo 3 Beta. Either way, i was more than satisfied. This WILL be my favorite game of the year......

Posted: March 27, 2010 6:45 PM
    Lyr1c
  • mark82234

red steel 2 looks better.

Posted: March 27, 2010 8:52 AM
    mark82234
  • Lawrence123

One of the best writers in gaming journalism and hes funny too.

Posted: March 27, 2010 3:18 AM
    Lawrence123
  • SonicATL

Calm down, Mr. Pfister. You'll get your chance just like the rest of us.

Posted: March 26, 2010 9:24 PM
    SonicATL
  • spicypooptastic

I know graphics are not the most important thing, but this game looks like crap!

Posted: March 26, 2010 9:10 PM
    spicypooptastic
  • StarWars_Enigma

Game of the Year? I doubt it. Most likely winners are Mass Effect 2, God of War III or Halo:Reach (if its a good game, which I'm thinking it will) not that I'm saying this game will be bad, cause it looks amazing, but against those three powerhouses, I don't think it'll be good enough

Posted: March 26, 2010 8:24 PM
    StarWars_Enigma
  • Sir_Goose_Wingding

well then mr. pfister, maybe when a demo comes out (if one comes out a la crackdown 1) you can lower that level down again to simple assult or even voluntary shanking instead :D

Posted: March 26, 2010 4:54 PM