Crackdown 2 - Xbox 360

Game Description: The sequel to the hit open-world action game Crackdown, in which you are a super-powered city defender cleaning up the streets and collecting orbs that increase your abilities.
G4TV Rating
4 / 5
  • Avg User Rating
    (41 Ratings)
    3.6 / 5
  • Rate This Game
X10 Report: Crackdown 2
Article_69946

X10 Report: Crackdown 2

By Andrew Pfister - Posted Feb 11, 2010

Crackdown 2

What’s the status?

Crackdown 2 is in the hands of a new developer, Ruffian Games, that seems to have a pretty good grasp on what made the first Crackdown so incredibly addicting. Here’s what I learned in today’s X10 demonstration of the game I’m surprised that some readers think will be boring.

• The game is set 10 years after the events of Crackdown. There are three factions at play: The Agency (that’s you), Cell (resistance force), and the Freaks (pretty much like zombies that come out in full force when the sun goes down). The city’s seen better days, as many areas are in a state of destruction - but others are experiencing reconstruction efforts. This is how Ruffian’s "changing" the city we’re already familiar with.
  • Your ultimate goal is to see "Project Sunburst" through to completion - it’s an energy weapon program designed to eliminate the Freak threat once and for all.
  • Acknowledging that many players under-developed their driving skills in the first game, Ruffian’s going to add more reasons and more opportunities to boost your vehicular abilities.
  • Accordingly, supply points -- established throughout the city as the reward for successful mission completion -- now give you easier access to vehicles.

Crackdown 2

What did we see?

Of all the notes I’ve taken at X10 so far, writing up Crackdown 2 is the only time I’ve used exclamation points to denote my personal excitement.

BOOM! Homing rocket launcher wiping out groups of Freaks. BOOM! Shotgun blast makes a Cell car explode (as well as the unfortunate Cell members standing around it). BOOM! The Agency Helicopter, with room to seat you and 3 of your friends, launching rockets from its dual mounts down to the Freak hordes ambling below.

We also saw the new Wing Suit, which lets you glide peacefully (or violently, if you’re so inclined) to the ground. The most jealous-because-I’m-not-playing moment came when they simultaneously bailed from the helicopter mid-flight and synchronized their dives. A nice finishing touch was a rocket launcher aimed at a speeding car, which sent it spiraling a good fifty yards through the air before exploding upon landing.

I also saw a green agility orb in the distance, and was frustrated that the demo driver didn’t go after it. I need this game now, please.

• STRICEx

amazing

Posted: February 15, 2010 8:30 AM
    STRICEx
  • Ragnarok3000

I have the first and loved it and this one is a definite buy!

Posted: February 14, 2010 9:01 PM
    Ragnarok3000
  • alec360

i dont get what does do with the 1st one it still looks awsome

Posted: February 14, 2010 4:18 PM
    alec360
  • Fyzban

It dosnt really good at all so far , graphic seem poor and crackdown 1 was only rinse and repeat the entire game.

Posted: February 14, 2010 3:09 PM
    Fyzban
  • Lyr1c

The 1st one was definitely my favorite game on the 360 for awhile. When my little cousin lost it...i think a part of me died inside......Good thing i beat the game the day before...but there are still acheivements to be made..

Posted: February 14, 2010 11:35 AM
    Lyr1c
  • GODDESTROYER

the first game so awesome!it was so addicting.i loved how the game looked... and maybe its just me but it has that comic book look to it
    cant wait for the next game,it looks great

Posted: February 13, 2010 8:03 PM
    GODDESTROYER
  • Gyrorobo

@spicypoopptastic - *sigh* seriously? I always see your name popping up on all sorts of good games saying how bad they are (mostly because of being Xbox)so seriously you need to just shut the eff up dude. BTW you had said how ME2 graphics suck and how MAG was better and yeah... I told you so, MAG ended up sucking... really bad. so seriously just leave G4TV.com and dont come back ever, nobody cares about your opinions.

Posted: February 13, 2010 5:52 PM
    Gyrorobo
  • zenmastersamuraimonk

i would totally get this if werent on the worst console ever made im sorry but the xbox 360 is noisy and it breaks down to much if it were on the ps3 or wii then id get it.

Posted: February 12, 2010 6:42 PM
    zenmastersamuraimonk
  • Lyr1c

...... says release is June 29.....thats my b-day.... i want it now... -.-

Posted: February 12, 2010 12:41 PM
    Lyr1c
  • gravy666

I saw that second picture and was like... TAAAAANK!!!!!!!!!!! (but it's all good)

I just have one question, and that is: Won't helicopters sort of defeat the purpose of climbing for those agility orbs? : \

Posted: February 12, 2010 11:55 AM
    gravy666
  • lilfisticuffer

I've been wanting this game for a long time and the more they talk about the more i want it. i mean helicopters, wing suits AND multiplayer it cant get much better than that

Posted: February 12, 2010 11:24 AM
    lilfisticuffer
  • stoneymacaroni89

The first Crackdown was awesome but with every mission is find him, kill him, repeat and a friend can join in on the repetitiveness. I hope they have something else to keep me interested then killing, and explosions.

Posted: February 12, 2010 9:51 AM
    stoneymacaroni89
  • DevilsTreehouse

Wow there is alot of negative rresponses to this game and it surprises me, i was one of those late in the game of buying a xbox, yet the first game i bought was crackdown and it was a couple years old than, and it is a awesome game, so much freedom and the jumping is awesome, maybe you guys and or girls that think the new game is going to suck should play the first one again to feel the magic

Posted: February 12, 2010 9:50 AM
    DevilsTreehouse
  • Utmost_NutsZo

I'm sorry, but nothing I read in that preview, nor the screenshots I've seen have me excited about this game. The preview described things that you can do in any open world game. What makes this special? On top of that the screenshots look horrible. Call it the "style" all you want, but even for the style it's going for it looks bad. Hopefully it looks a lot better in motion.

If I had to decide right now, I'd be passing on this.

Posted: February 12, 2010 9:13 AM
    Utmost_NutsZo
  • vermanshane

I was not interested in this game at all until this report, now i have to own it.(it was the helicopter mostly)

Posted: February 11, 2010 8:49 PM
    vermanshane
  • TheFeedMack

microsoft may have a new game other than gears to replace halo after reach of course as a leading game reading this and watching gameplay Crackdown is a third person open world game thats everything halo isnt on the other hand u have the suits u have the differing factions u have the 16 player multiplayer you have the super powers 4 player co op thinking about it seems like crackdown is a splice between gta and halo which is awesome i cant wait to get this game it is another one i must preorder so far i have got BC2 AVP[only cus im addicted to the mp demo] Brink and Halo Reach i am extremely excited for these upcoming titles

Posted: February 11, 2010 8:13 PM

spicypooptastic
  • Str84twenty

Looks freaking AMAZING!!

Posted: February 11, 2010 6:58 PM
    Str84twenty
  • southstorm3

Crackdown 2 sounds and looks awesome......cant wait to see more and i wish i cld play this but i have no Xbox360.......or at least i dnt have one yet!!!

Posted: February 11, 2010 6:47 PM