WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2010 - Xbox 360

Game Description: It's time once again to brace for impact as THQ unleashes the next installment in its acclaimed wrestling franchise. Expect more character freedom and maneuverability than ever before, and a lineup that features some of the WWE's biggest stars, including John Cena, Undertaker, Randy Orton, Edge and Rey Mysterio.
G4TV Rating
4 / 5
  • Avg User Rating
    (8 Ratings)
    4.9 / 5
  • Rate This Game
WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2010 Hands-On Preview
Article_68219

WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2010 Hands-On Preview

By Raymond Padilla - Posted Aug 24, 2009

Headliners, mid-carders, jobbers, smarts, smarks, and marks -- get ready for some more WWE excitement from THQ. WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2010 is coming on October 20 and the first details of the game have been revealed. To kick off its hype train (not to be confused with The Godfather’s Ho Train), the company is emphasizing four C’s: creation, customization, content, and community. The version of the game that I saw showed numerous improvements in the creation tools and some potentially cool online features.

As with any sequel, the developers are going with the “more and better” strategy with the game’s creation tools. In addition to having more features and being more versatile, the interface is much, much smoother. In the past, there would be a brief delay when shuffling through various costumes, animations, facial features, etc. You won’t see those annoying delays in SvR 2010, which makes the overall experience more enjoyable.

As for diversity, the character customization, create a finisher, and paint tool options have been extended. In the brief time I spent with the game, I made some pretty cool characters based off of some of my favorite indie wrestlers (note to WWE -- sign Claudio Castagnoli!). Another person playing the game made a few super exaggerated characters that looked straight out of The Tick, while another one made some eerie characters that could appear in a Neil Gaiman comic. If you have a fertile imagination and a modicum of art skills, you can make some truly amazing characters with the new creations tools.

In addition to making your own grapplers, you have customization options with actual WWE Superstars and Divas. You can save up to three alternate versions of sports entertainers with the customizations you choose. This comes in handy for wrestlers like Rey Mysterio, with his numerous masks; if you see a mask you like that’s not in the game, it’s easy enough to for you to create it yourself. To show that there are no holds barred, I was shown a version of the Undertaker wearing pastel colors. This prompted my friend Jose from Electric Playground to twist Taker’s catchphrase and say, “Rest…in…pink.”

Creating a finishing move -- one of SvR 2009’s coolest additions -- has been bolstered with 30 percent more content. Every area of last year’s mode has been added to and diving attacks have been included. The finishers can get really ridiculous (in a good way). I was shown a wrestler executing a 720-degree splash that got a preposterous amount of air. That’s cool and all, but I think I’ll stick to perfecting my Shin Kick of Doom.

Gamers that dream about being the general manager or Raw, SmackDown, or ECW should be pleased by the storyline creation tools. Up to two years of stories, containing matches and scenes, can be crafted. There’s just a ton you can do with scene creation. Characters, facial expressions, camera angles, animations, background videos, and more can be tweaked. I saw some scenes that recreated several famous WWE moments, including contract signings, car explosions, wrestlers getting hit by cars, limo entrances, run-ins, and more.

Best of all, any content you create can be uploaded so that other gamers can enjoy your works. Likewise, you can download your friend’s creations or storylines written by your favorite gaming writers. I vow to make an epic plot called “SmackDown vs. Ray 2010”. I will make myself a grappler along the lines of Chris Benoit. My arch nemesis will be X-Play’s Adam Sessler, who uses a vast array of high flying luchador moves. Every now and then, X-Play’s Blair “The Man of Three Holds” Herter will try to insert himself into our feud, but Adam or I just bitch slap him out of the scene. This is going to be great stuff and you’ll be able to download it!

Moving away from the four C’s, THQ has added “The Training Facility,” an interactive tutorial. It’s full of pop-ups and context-sensitive menus that help you learn the game’s moves. There are more than 100 tips that pop up, which should help novices and veterans alike. Fans of the WWE’s developmental territory, FCW, should notice a familiar backdrop in the training facility.

Details on the popular Road to Wrestlemania mode are sparse. THQ revealed that there will be six storylines in SvR 2010, including a Diva plot. There will be more branching and interactive cutscenes. More on this mode will be revealed in the coming weeks. (Full disclosure: I wrote two of the mode’s storylines before coming to G4).

Although THQ has only shown some aspects of WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2010, I’m totally hyped for the game. The creation tools look tight and should provide hours of entertainment on their own. Check back with G4tv.com for more information on the game’s story mode, online modes, match types, and more. The gang has huge plans for this game, and you better be here to see all the excellent coverage. If you smeeelllllllllllll…what The Ray…is cooking.

• lando_19

gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooood lord dat shisnit is the best game out i give it 900000000000000000000000000000 000000000000000000000000000000 000000000000000000000000000000 000000000000000000000000000000 0000000 points!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: August 31, 2009 10:28 PM
    lando_19
  • gambit1023

It's nice that they have a customizable story mode and all the things you can create for yourself in the game but still why no more ppv mode? I hate the fact that I have to play a championship match, get constantly asked if I wanna save my progress after the match(I hate autosaving) and then go back into exhibition mode to start a new match. It was so much easier just setting up 8 matches at once,playing through them, and then saving.

O well...it's the great american rhetoric I guess.....If it aint broke still try to fix it.

Posted: August 31, 2009 6:54 PM
    gambit1023
  • G4REAL3

epic fail

Posted: August 30, 2009 4:37 PM
    G4REAL3
  • eightball_rox

The New Story creater feature is well off the hook cause this has always been something I wanted the power to do in a video game

Posted: August 30, 2009 3:46 PM
    eightball_rox
  • arenassmart

I think the game will be good.They should add advertisements. Also, change No Mercy to Breaking Point, ECW ONS to Extreme Rules,GBA to the Bash,Vengance to NoC, Unforgiven to Hell in a Cell, and Cyber Sunday to Bragiing Rights

Posted: August 29, 2009 5:03 PM
    arenassmart
  • bryan014

UFC is 4x better than this ,i still think its fun though

Posted: August 29, 2009 3:12 PM
    bryan014
  • alex707perez

cool yeah svr 10 !!!!!!! they should put alot of legends in it

Posted: August 29, 2009 3:02 PM
    alex707perez
  • ed123456

i love the wwe so i am going to be at the midnight releas just ike i went at gears of war 2 midnight releas

Posted: August 29, 2009 1:29 PM
    ed123456
  • gambitjuggalo

i just want to be able to create a wrestler and take him through story mode...instead of getting stuck with whoever they decide i should play with. other then that it all sounds good

Posted: August 28, 2009 12:19 PM
    gambitjuggalo
  • Xargon2009

I hope it's like the svsr 2007, were you can allocate your attribute points.
    Instead of the computer doing that for you. Otherwise I may grab that game off the shelf.

Posted: August 28, 2009 12:13 PM
    Xargon2009
  • Attifire

Please be careful with the hype! You seem confident that it's going to be amazing, I just don't want another Fable II disappointment (But I still loved that game).

Posted: August 28, 2009 12:06 PM
    Attifire
  • Panic_s_life

Please god let this one have a better royal rumble match then years past. more then 6 people and better ways to eliminate people is all i ask

Posted: August 28, 2009 9:24 AM
    Panic_s_life
  • trey4lifhomie

i agree with andrewmonfort and this game looks krazy good

Posted: August 26, 2009 11:21 AM
    trey4lifhomie
  • GamerHero

BEST GAME EVER!!!!!!!!!!!! =)

Posted: August 26, 2009 8:35 AM
    GamerHero
  • weejifiend

Raymond, you may just have convinced me that I want this game. I haven't purchased one in a while, and I didn't think I'd want this one, due to all the customization and downloading from the community. One question though, do you know if they're going to do what they did with '08, and block CAWs with "symbols" on them from being able to be downloaded?

Posted: August 26, 2009 7:50 AM
    weejifiend
  • Undertaker89

And to back up why I chose those 2 games as the best wrestling games so far. No mercy for the n64 (had better graphics than the first smackdown game on the PS1 and better gameplay) had such an amazing "road to wrestlemania" if you want to call it that. The season mode can be played with any character including created ones...you can see your progress as you go along..but best of all? YOU DONT HAVE TO RESTART THE MATCH IF YOU LOSE!!!!!...the season will just continue and it will take you a different path...plus you can have title matches with friends in exhibition modes and what not..always fun...

Smackdown 2 however...(Hell in a cell was introduced) it was good. Good graphic upgrade compared to the first smackdown...but the season mode...CAN BE PLAYED WITH 2 PLAYERS!!!!...now lets see here...2 players..season mode...endless fun? You get to see the storylines as you would by yourself...game would progress as you would by yourself. Story lines were more intuitive than before. It was an amazing game to play with friends.

Posted: August 24, 2009 6:14 PM
    Undertaker89
  • Undertaker89

Seriously? More road to wrestlemania stuff? Okay from a guy who has played wrestling games from WWF RAW on the genesis to the BEST 2 wrestling games known to man..(No Mercy and Smackdown 2!) the smackdown games have taken a nose dive...Honestly...I rented svr09 and played through the road to wrestlemania and it was completely boring..I looked forward to the original season modes that my own created character could go through. Its what I really looked forward to in the WWE games..however now it just doesn't seem to be there..But the biggest of all let downs was getting rid of GM mode...OMG..svr09 did not have that and I felt like breaking the game...GM mode was the one thing that actually kept me playing all the other smackdown games. When GM mode first hit the scene my god...I played that crap out of it..now?...I don't know. But it seems that these games just aren't the same anymore. They seem to be doing more stuff wrong than right.

Posted: August 24, 2009 6:06 PM
    Undertaker89
  • RickAstin

Totally laying down a challenge to ye on PSN ray!....the chest slapping shall be intense!!!

Im very happy about the new one..if only because a good portion of my suggestions have actually been implemented

still one wonders about all the little details they've added and the wonderful new crowd....only for the set to still be missing all the little touches...indeed even with the best games there shall be things to b#$@% about...mwhahahahhahahahaha

Posted: August 24, 2009 6:01 PM
    RickAstin
  • cheatingthesystem21

i don't mind WWE but the games are really fun. i'm thinking of picking this up!

Posted: August 24, 2009 3:54 PM
    cheatingthesystem21
  • viper5400

cant wait for this game. the best one yet

Posted: August 24, 2009 3:26 PM