Lost Planet 2 - Xbox 360

• Publisher: Capcom
  • Genre:Action, Adventure
  • Developer: Capcom
  • Release Date:May 11, 2010
  • # of Players:1 player, 16 online
  • ESRB:T - Teen (Animated Blood,Language,Suggestive Themes,Violence)
  • Platforms:
Game Description: Taking place 10 years after the events of Lost Planet, this third-person action title takes players back to the now lush environs of E.D.N. III as they battle, from multiple perspectives, for control of valuable natural resources. In addition to a compelling single-player campaign, the game also features four-player online co-op and a robust character customization system.
G4TV Rating
3 / 5
  • Avg User Rating
    (15 Ratings)
    3.7 / 5
  • Rate This Game
Lost Planet 2 Hands-On Campaign Impressions
Article_70459

Lost Planet 2 Hands-On Campaign Impressions

By Sterling McGarvey - Posted Apr 15, 2010

Although Lost Planet 2 utilizes similar mechanics to its 2007 predecessor, it feels like a dramatically different approach to Capcom’s series. On the surface, it seems rather obvious, based on the aesthetic transition from frosty tundra to wet jungles, but at its roots, this sequel has taken a turn toward another popular Capcom franchise; at least, a Capcom franchise that's wildly popular in Japan. I invested some time in a late build of LP2, and while my disc doesn’t represent the complete product you’ll have a chance to play in a little over a month, I’ve gleaned one fairly indisputable observation from it: Bring some friends over, or find some online. You probably won't want to go through this one alone.

Though the first game had a passable plot, Capcom seems to have decided to make the sequel less character-driven and more like Monster Hunter, at least from my impressions. If the big raids and swords are a turnoff, but the idea of teaming up with three other people to tackle big battles is appealing to you, then you’ll feel cozy with what’s at hand. Lost Planet 2 seems much less plot-driven than its predecessor and more focused on creating set pieces that will force you to work alongside your compatriots to get from spot to spot. The action opens up in the snowy locales of E.D.N. III, but quickly shifts to newer geography.

I’ve never had much of a taste for playing Monster Hunter in solitude, and the transition from a focused single-player story to a multiplayer-centric game is one that I’m still not completely sold on at this point. Capcom's focus seems to be lasered in on creating a sense of playing online throughout the experience, and from what I've played, it includes simulating some of the less pleasant aspects. Pausing the game (yes, pausing the game) is an ordeal, at least in this build. I got up to fix myself something to drink while the timer counted down between stages and it booted me back to the start menu without saving. I'm not thrilled. For now, I'll attribute it to having an incomplete build, but if these features make the final product, it'll be infuriating.

Lost Planet 2

Once you're in the action, Lost Planet 2's campaign loads you up with objectives that'll force you to work in tandem with friends. Granted, there's no shortage of big monster takedowns, but there are a lot of environmental scenarios that will push you and friends to tackle together. As partners, the A.I. doesn't come off as overly dimwitted, though there were times I wish they'd prioritized attacking an energy-sapping sniper instead of a less-threatening grunt.

In one early mission, I was tasked with destroying a mining factory by overloading the core machine. It was a two-tiered operation, as my A.I. cohorts and I had to activate six power cores to turn on the operation. Easier said than done, of course, since each core was guarded by heavily armed guards and lethal turrets. After a few minutes of back and forth battles (and some teeth-gritting shootouts), I was able to get all six cores up and running. With the machine running, the gameplay shifted to a "defend the base" style scenario, in which I and my A.I. pals needed to guard four giant drills as they bored their way to a massive system overload that would bring down the mine. Waves of enemies jumped out to deactivate the drills as we fought to keep them active for 90 seconds.

Lost Planet 2

Despite the passable teammate A.I., Lost Planet 2 comes off as even more multiplayer-driven than I'd ever anticipated from Capcom. We're still about a month off, but based on what I've played, I find myself questioning if the team's focus on a Monster Hunter-like multiplayer experience hasn't come at the complete expense of a much more interesting single-player campaign. I don't doubt that plenty of gamers will enjoy what Lost Planet 2 offers them, their friend on the couch, and a few more buddies online. But if you're a gamer who likes kicking back and playing through games solo, be warned.

• patrickct

Just wanted to say that Red Dead Redemption is going to spank almost every up and coming game besides Halo Reach.

Bring on the Hate Mail Bitches!

Posted: May 9, 2010 7:42 PM
    patrickct
  • GamerDude21

I want to know if the energy supply aspect is still a main part of the game. I got annoyed with the first one when I had to constantly abandon my current task or fight in order to go hunt down some little orbs to "keep me wanrm."

Posted: May 5, 2010 6:36 PM
    GamerDude21
  • videogameman44

i really wished they would have kept the main characters from the first one they were cool but getting to play as the snow pirates that is just as good when i read this it said that it takes place from 4 solders prospectives i wasnt to found of that but i seen a 15 minute multiplayer video on g4on demand and this game looks killer but i will wait till it goes down some im just buying all my games used from gamestop now they got great deals i hope this game gets sold there soon used

Posted: May 2, 2010 8:57 PM
    videogameman44
  • solonoid

From all the trailers it looks like theres a good story. When they say it's not character driven im pretty sure they're saying the story doesn't revolve around the character like halo or uncharted, so that they can make it co-op. It's kinda of dumb to have 3 master chiefs or drakes running around isn't it?

Posted: April 21, 2010 12:14 PM
    solonoid
  • Ryne S.

@Wandrecanada

Look at all the trailers and video footage of the game and you will see theres no story driven game here. Why don't you do research before making yourself look bad. The article reads its not character driven like the 1st one...meaning story. As I said I'm not buying a 60 dollar game for co-op multiplayer with no story. Sorry you don't understand.

Posted: April 21, 2010 3:13 AM
    Ryne+S.
  • toady22

Roomer that lost planet is Six player co-op and sixty player multiplayer

Posted: April 19, 2010 7:12 PM
    toady22
  • loupinconnu

@ Lowkevmic

And all the 360 has is Halo 3, Gears of War 1/2, L4D 1/2, Mass Effect 1/2. Sorry if Sony does something called diversity where the entire console isn't based off of shooters and one franchise (maybe two, Gears is pretty popular anymore), but you know what they say about fanboys and facts.

Anyways, to digress looks awesome and should be a first week buy for me. I still can't find anything about 4 player local multiplayer (if anyone can confirm that would be great) but even if it isn't included I'll be getting it anyways. The demo was awesome, and the closer we get to release date the more excited I get.

Posted: April 17, 2010 3:32 AM
    loupinconnu
  • Ryne S.

I was going to buy this game but I'll wait until it's cheap because I love story in my games and I'm not going to spend 60 dollars on just multiplayer.

Posted: April 16, 2010 5:09 PM
    Ryne+S.
  • lowkevmic

Multiplayer is gonna be fun. But I really enjoyed the single player on the first one. So I'm hoping that they won't stray too far from the single player aspect of the game. Actually who cares, this game is gonna be awesome!!

Posted: April 16, 2010 3:50 PM
    lowkevmic
  • Cathartic Denoument

Well, if I remember correctly, it was really Co-Op Multiplayer that the fans of the 1st game were mostly asking for. So that may not be so bad, once the game's out.

And that trailer's freakin' AWESOME, omg. LoL

Posted: April 16, 2010 3:02 PM
    Cathartic+Denoument
  • jungleman67

i need to make some friends

Posted: April 16, 2010 2:56 PM
    jungleman67
  • lowkevmic

@xdeadwaterx- It's more than obvious that you're a PS3 fanboy. Because first of all Lost Planet was a Xbox 360 Exclusive. Let's not get into some argument about who has the better exclusives, when you can count on one hand how many good mentionable PS3 originals there are: GOW3, Uncharted 1&2, Infamous, Killzone, Resistance, and MGS4. Thats about it!! As for FFXIII, the only reason why they made that originally for the 360 was because they knew it would sell. Frankly that's why a majority of Multiplatform games make their way to the 360 first, because the developer and publishers know it will sell more copies on the 360 then the PS3.

Posted: April 16, 2010 2:28 PM
    lowkevmic
  • xsingularityx

LOL funny how all multiplatform games are directed to the 360 *sigh* Is it because the 360 doesnt get much good exclusive content? And I love how they came out with the commercial for FFXIII when its originally a PS exclusive, well, was. Well I hear PS3 might be getting portal 2 so that should be cool, maybe.

Posted: April 16, 2010 1:29 PM
    xsingularityx
  • spicypooptastic

In 10 years? In 10 years it went from a frozen wasteland to lush overgrown jungles!?

Posted: April 16, 2010 12:27 PM
    spicypooptastic
  • Battlefields

can already see some plot coming making the snow pirates look like merciless killers (besides the basic premise of the game of course) who knows maybe they will be in this one

Posted: April 16, 2010 12:10 PM
    Battlefields
  • defiantketchup

Sterling let's play!

Posted: April 16, 2010 11:40 AM
    defiantketchup
  • el oh el

looks better than the first one, but dont get me wronge i liked the first game just the ending battle, giant robots wait ive seen that somewhere else............. Power rangers dunah dun da dun, but all im saying is this game has alot of potential and i hope it can live up to more than just standerds.

Posted: April 15, 2010 6:12 PM
    el+oh+el
  • 3dmunt

Hm that does kinda have me worried a little bit. I can't really play Live due to a slow connection but hopefully I can find some way to make it work. Or hopefully the final build will be better than it seems.
    Guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Posted: April 15, 2010 5:33 PM