Left 4 Dead 2 - Xbox 360

Game Description:In the follow-up to Valve's wildly popular zombie-slaying FPS, players assume the roles of four new characters, as they struggle to survive against unending hordes of the undead beneath the sunny skies of the American South. Dispose of the newly designed zombie types with the help of new melee weapons, including an ax, a chainsaw, a baseball bat, and even a frying pan. And thanks to the addition of even more modes, maps and items, players can expect to have their hands full when the zombie apocalypse rears its undead head once again.
G4TV Rating
4 / 5
  • Avg User Rating
    (147 Ratings)
    4.6 / 5
  • Rate This Game
PAX 2009: Left 4 Dead 2 Hands-On Preview
Article_68322

PAX 2009: Left 4 Dead 2 Hands-On Preview

By Sterling McGarvey - Posted Sep 04, 2009

Just in case you weren't aware from reading my E3 and Comic-Con impressions, Valve wants to kill you. Slowly and painfully. Call it a homecoming, call it the easiest haul for the Seattle-area developer, but the team didn't have to travel too far to bring "Dark Carnival," the latest unveiled level of Left 4 Dead 2, to PAX 2009. During G4tv.com's interview with Valve's Doug Lombardi at Comic-Con, he promised that there would be more in store. By that, he must've meant more premature deaths. The more I play each section of Left 4 Dead 2, the more I feel that Valve is ensuring that you will play together as a team, or you'll be dispatched faster than you can imagine.

Unlike the gazebos and New Orleans-inspired architecture of "The Parish" or the mucky bogs of "Swamp Fever," the segments of "Dark Carnival" that I experienced felt like scenes from the highways of the rural South. As a former Southerner, it strongly resembles any freeway and roadside motel you'd find along I-20 in Alabama or Georgia, and it goes a long way in conveying an eerie authenticity. Apparently, the stage also features a carnival, but with limited play time, none of us could make it to the latter stages of the chapter.

My time with "Dark Carnival" (slogan: "You must be this tall...TO DIE!") started amidst the wreckage of a multi-car pileup on a rural interstate. And like many of Valve's lovingly designed stages, it's a double-edged sword. On one hand, you can use the numerous wrecked cars as a vantage point to pick off hordes of undead. But it won't stop a Smoker from reeling you away from your team, nor will it prevent projectiles (Boomer puke and Spitter...spit) from hurting you. Plus, it creates a maze, not dramatically different from the gardens of "The Parish," that's designed to separate you from your fellow survivors. And separate it did. Fortunately, between squad members, we managed to keep damage to a minimum in our hunt to stay alive as long as possible.

That is, until the Jockeys showed up. Lombardi indicated that at every big media reveal this year, Valve would introduce a new special Infected class. At E3, I got plowed by a Charger. At Comic-Con, I got napalmed by Spitter saliva. And with the Jockey (which is like a Hunter that keeps on giving), I experienced the deadliest monkey ever...on my back. In addition to the Uncommon infected shown at the prior shows, there's a zombie clown in "Dark Carnival." Can't wait til that becomes an Internet meme.

Overall, everything seems to be falling into place. I could editorialize why, at this point, I don't believe that Left 4 Dead 2 could simply be a DLC update to the first game, but I'll save that argument for, say, an episode of Feedback (heck, maybe even the PAX special!) instead of grinding something out here. The emphasis on pacing, deathtraps, and item drops points toward a game that takes many of the ideas of the first game, and heightens the tension. No more playing selfish with health and letting your teammates straggle to the safe house. That'll doom everyone. Needless to say, it's going to take a lot of teamwork to get through each stage of the game. Public matchmaking is ill-advised here.

• virus1985

ohh yea and i cant wait for the game

Posted: September 8, 2009 4:59 PM
    virus1985
  • cheetoDORES

Dear Valve,
    HURRY UP AND FINISH HALF LIFE

Posted: September 8, 2009 4:57 PM
    cheetoDORES
  • virus1985

im kinda confused about the petition like whats it about a bunch of people whant to skam LFD1 out of some addons or what i mean obviosly its not working its just a bunch of people whining about just nothing from what i can see its a good game and valve well probably suffer loses becauses of these gredy idiots

Posted: September 8, 2009 4:57 PM
    virus1985
  • xxzachlxx

I really hate all the people whinning and petitioning against LFD2. If you don't want it, shut up and play LFD1. No they aren't selling out and it's obvious there's too much material for a simple update or expansion. They act like Valve is on the same level as Rockstar or Infinity Ward who both sold out to Xbox, those are the people those idiots should petition. I don't even own a 360 but I have alot of respect for valve and other than Kojima Productions, they're probably my favorite game producer.

But really, this game looks sick and I think the whinners are just whinning for the sake of whinning. I guess they have nothing better to do. Instead of worrying about paying bills, family or friends, these losers think they should be spending their time complaining about something that is non of their concern or buisness.

Posted: September 8, 2009 12:06 PM
    xxzachlxx
  • spartan960

im going to be putting 5 minutes on each switch switch switch lol cant wait wohoo totaly stoked and jus 2 mor months

Posted: September 7, 2009 4:32 PM
    spartan960
  • TankFuChowLee

This Game Just Keeps Looking Better And Better I Really Cant Wait For it

Posted: September 7, 2009 3:24 PM
    TankFuChowLee
  • Attifire

Just think if they spent another year developing this game. A phenomenal game could of been legendary.

Posted: September 7, 2009 12:35 PM
    Attifire
  • crackingcody

game of the year, right here!!!

Posted: September 7, 2009 7:19 AM
    crackingcody
  • ruthlessninja72

Can;t wait this game look freaking sweet. espeacially the new level dark carnival with zombie clowns which will be getting a bat to the face on november 17th when i buy it, and the no health packs in the safe house all the time makes it more realistic can't wait

Posted: September 6, 2009 12:54 PM
    ruthlessninja72
  • Cataclystic

This looks incredible

Posted: September 6, 2009 9:41 AM
    Cataclystic
  • SaintV

This going to be one of my favorite games this year. Looks really fun just like the first one.

Posted: September 6, 2009 7:41 AM
    SaintV
  • Stimpak_Addict

It would be nice if they would develop this for PS3 later. But I have a powerful PC that can run L4D at 170+ FPS until then.

Posted: September 6, 2009 5:58 AM

Posted: September 5, 2009 1:45 PM
    SiK
  • nitsuj1295

Jockeys look awesome.

Posted: September 5, 2009 9:19 AM
  • spleendingo

Zombie killing has never been more fun! I'm really looking forward to this game and can't wait for the new challenges. Bring it on you zombie bi*ches.......bring it on hehe!! :)

Posted: September 5, 2009 2:40 AM
    spleendingo
  • Shodog

Sah-weet. I am really looking forward for L4D 2. Valve is awesome.

Posted: September 5, 2009 1:22 AM
    Shodog
  • Theplasmabeam

Cant wait for this game and Feedback awesome show! Great work

Posted: September 5, 2009 12:01 AM