Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Xbox 360

Game Description: Picking up where Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare left off, Infinity Ward's high intensity military first-person shooter will push players to their limits. As part of Task Force 141, players will traverse harsh and varying terrains across the globe as they attempt to suppress and eliminate the surging Russian Ultranationalist threat.
G4TV Rating
5 / 5
  • Avg User Rating
    (393 Ratings)
    4.3 / 5
  • Rate This Game
Modern Warfare 2 GamesCom 2009 Co-Op Preview
Article_68216

Modern Warfare 2 GamesCom 2009 Co-Op Preview

By Billy Berghammer - Posted Aug 21, 2009

When I found out Modern Warfare 2 would be shown behind closed doors at GamesCom this year, dreams of single-player and multiplayer details danced through my head. When I found out we’d be seeing Modern Warfare 2's new co-op mode, Spec Ops, I was pretty excited. Unfortunately, what I have to report is all aces. In fact, I was underwhelmed by this mode.

Spec Ops is the entire cooperative mode for Modern Warfare 2. It’s not part of single-player and it’s not part of multiplayer. It’s a completely separate mode. Spec Ops is inspired by the last airplane level from Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, Mile High Club. It’s a bite-sized challenge mode that you can play alone, split-screen or with a friend online. Three difficulty levels are available – regular, hardened, veteran -- and by finishing each challenge, you earn stars which open up later missions.

Sadly, we only saw this mode played solo, which was utterly confusing. “Oh hey, we’re going to show you the all-new cooperative mode in Modern Warfare 2! But, er…we’re playing it solo.”

All of the levels in Spec Ops are built with cooperation in mind and the level demonstrated was called “breach and clear.” The objective is simple: breach a wall and make your way out. That’s it. Upon initiating the breach, all hell breaks loose and the enemy is immediately on you. Between snipers, hidden shooters in rafters and soldiers coming at you with shields, the firefight is intense. As I watched someone make their way through the room, it was quite apparent that this wouldn’t be an easy task. He even had to play through the level a second time because he was killed.

But within approximately two minutes, the level was over. I asked, but no one could give specifics on how lengthy each of these missions would be. The Activision representative at the demo “didn’t know” how many missions would be included in the final game, but said it’s a significant amount of gameplay. Since the missions are potentially short, this does allow for the possibility of downloadable content for these arcade-sized missions.

Now, don’t get me wrong, the game looks fantastic and I would have loved to get my hands on the controller and gave it a go, but I would hope for more from a cooperative experience from Infinity Ward. And hell, if you’re going to show a cooperative mode, let’s see it played…cooperatively?

With so many games doing cooperative (with even up to four players -- see, Halo 3: ODST and Borderlands) these days, I felt a little underwhelmed. We don’t know how long all the missions are – especially the later ones – so Spec Ops could be a fun mode when the single-player has been completed and you want a break from multiplayer. But with Bungie preparing to drop their second four-player cooperative game this fall, I'd like to see its biggest competitor – Infinity Ward - attempt to at least match their efforts.

• JORDON2122

Modern Warfare 2 WILL kick ass. Modern Warfare 2 WILL be the best game of '09 . (i hope)

Posted: August 30, 2009 9:12 AM
    JORDON2122
  • yankfanwv

ok I have a question should I get the first modern warfare or wait to get the second one when it comes out

Posted: August 29, 2009 5:02 PM
    yankfanwv
  • Worminator

who cares about MW2 I WANT L4D2 now thats co-operative fun!

Posted: August 25, 2009 5:09 AM
    Worminator
  • ZZz7ZZzzZZz7ZzZZzz7Z

modern warfare 3??? (look in the end)

Posted: August 24, 2009 6:53 PM
    ZZz7ZZzzZZz7ZzZZzz7Z
  • Towipo

I don't think Halo and Call of Duty are really rivals. They are both first person shooters, but that is about all they have in common. Halo is silly, and more for kids, with cheesey little aliens, and guns you don't aim. You don't even aim down the sights of your gun while you "zap" cute little aliens. I've seen guys stand behind a wall and jump up in the air and snipe a shot in mid-air. Come on man how goofy is that? Don't get me wrong Halo is pretty fun, but it is not really a serious shooter. Everyone knows Call of Duty is the benchmark for first person shooters.

Posted: August 24, 2009 4:19 PM
    Towipo
  • the_azure_knight

the more i see of this game the more i want it

Posted: August 24, 2009 2:35 PM
    the_azure_knight
  • the_azure_knight

the more i see of this game the more i want it

Posted: August 24, 2009 2:35 PM
    the_azure_knight
  • jalapenowonmil

HEY, everybody, SHUTUP. Let people buy the game if they want to, you're not their bank.

Posted: August 24, 2009 1:48 PM
    jalapenowonmil
  • NickAnguiano

I agree though with the writer that group co-op is all the rage right now. Nazi Zombies with Treyarch's COD: World At War, Firefight with ODST, Horde Mode with GOW, I believe in Left 4 Dead has a similar mode now. Hell even the new expansion for the RTS Company of Heroes has a 4 plaer co-op defend against waves of tougher and tougher enemies.

While there is always going to be a huge space for competitive multiplayer, there is only so many new things you can do with it. Meanwhile, cooperative multiplayer, is something that largely remains untapped. Yes, games like Ghost Recon and SOCOM had cooperative multiplayer but they never really used it to it's full potential, it was more like "oh we sorta tacked on the extra mode for you but the main draw is competitive online gameplay." While Epic Games made a huge deal over their Horde Mode for Gears of War 2. What happened then? Horde Mode ended up being by far the most popular gameplay option on XBOX Live for GOW2. Nazi Zombies is pretty darn popular in World At War as well.

I guess my point, and I think part of the author's point was that it's kind of a surprise to not see Infinity Ward doing some kinda of similar cooperative 4 or 5 player mode when it's clearly the hottest thing out there right now. I think the author was also trying to say that when a horde match in GOW2 can last like 2 hours and a Nazi Zombie game can last an hour.. some little 1-2 minute co-op game that only allows 2 players tops does seem kinda underwhelming in comparison. Part of that opinion probably comes from him not even being able to see the co-op mode being played in flippin' co-op but rather solo. But like some of the others have said, we really just are going to have to wait until Nov. 10th and we'll see just how good or bad this mode really is and how it compares to ODST's Firefight or Horde Mode in Gears.

Posted: August 24, 2009 1:15 PM
    NickAnguiano
  • NickAnguiano

In the world of "the internet" someone says a single mild negative thing about something. Half the people that read it take that as "the game sucks! It's terrible and by far the worst thing to have ever come out of this company!" which is not at all what the guy was saying. Some people are just idiots I guess and can't let someone get away with saying something negative without it implying the product must be a steaming pile of donkey crap. That's not at all what he said.

Posted: August 24, 2009 1:02 PM
    NickAnguiano
  • Zackattack213

forgot to check my spelling lol and im not saying he does not have a right to an opinion, but im saying my opinion. And that is that he is giving people the wrong idea

Posted: August 24, 2009 12:36 PM
    Zackattack213
  • sukTHEfacc

that's lame...a co-op demo being played solo.

i too would be disappointed. I bet it will be better than what he saw though...

as long as the campaign and multiplayer will be awesome, im fine. spec-ops is just an addition that will be loved or hated

better than nothing tho, right?

Posted: August 24, 2009 10:52 AM
    sukTHEfacc
  • WARZWrightMan

I have to agree with TimeToSnuggle,while the rest of you are using this forum for fighting and getting mad because it wasn't enough info or saying that MW2 is goin to be just like MW,does your opinion really matter all that much? NO...It doesn't i loved MW and i know i will love MW2,whether you play Halo or MW, their evedentally both addictive games.Sure we can argue all day and i will say i love MW because ive never played Halo simply because i don't want to,so all of you Halo fanboys and fangirls get mad i dont care.But all in all i cant wait for MW2,its gonna be the shizzle.

Posted: August 24, 2009 10:35 AM
    WARZWrightMan
  • TimeToSnuggle

Hello All! I was wondering if any one of you could help me understand why one side of you is mad at the other and vice versa... In the end, the game will speak for itself, I feel you guys should stop yelling about what the game will be like, and how it will/won't be great. Wait for the game to come out before you spew out thoughts of hate or praise. I don't think anyone will know how it COD: MW 2 will play out, especially in this Co-Op preview provided by Sir Billy. From what this man said, "Now, don t get me wrong, the game looks fantastic and I would have loved to get my hands on the controller and gave it a go, but I would hope for more from a cooperative experience from Infinity Ward. And hell, if you re going to show a cooperative mode, let s see it played cooperatively?" (Billy Berghammer). Perhaps the reason for his discontent is the fact that this was only a PREVIEW. Not the real thing. I stress PREVIEW for it means " This is a first look at what this could be like," but is not limited to what you may see or get out of the experience. This sneak peek being only a PREVIEW, I feel his demo was short due to the fact that they do not want all of the exciting action to be given away just yet. Also, with it only being with 1 person, perhaps the Level was shorter due to number of players combined with the difficulty. Easier the difficulty, shorter the level. We must also account for number of players affecting levels perhaps. This however is only a theory based on nothing. :) I do not feel these games that will be shortwhen Reps like " The Activision representative at the demo didn t know how many missions would be included in the final game, but said it s a significant amount of gameplay." ( Billy Berghammer). Shows that these missions will not be 2 min short missions. Also, how you CHOOSE to play the game affects how long it will last. This said, we truly won't know how this shall play out but only spectate from the sidelines while our key players move the ball slowly to the endzone. Best of Luck _The Snugglar

Posted: August 24, 2009 7:55 AM
    TimeToSnuggle
  • Avengfullwombat

Im siding with the journalist on this one. dont get me wrong i love the game and cant wait to play it online but only a 2 minute stage? and with 2 people were looking at mb alittle over half that. i guess im just disapointed, with ODST coming out with some-what the same thing (firefight) but with 4 people and waves getting harder and harder as skulls activate i had kind of thought infinityward would bring more to the table.

Posted: August 23, 2009 6:39 PM
    Avengfullwombat
  • Nkos13

IGN RULES

Posted: August 23, 2009 6:03 PM
    Nkos13
  • DaSandMAN13

You all are dissing MW2 and saying Halo odst is going to be great. YOU CANT COMPARE THE TWO Halo is about space mariens fighting alieans and MW2 is about war in our time. Yes halo has forge and theater but it was made for that game, i mean how would you see Soap Flying around and pull weapons out of his pants really. Also if you wan halo more than MW2 then get it your opinion dosent really matter, and whats up whith these reading Reviews and Previews?

Posted: August 23, 2009 8:53 AM
    DaSandMAN13
  • TLE

i think this will have a 5 out of 5

Posted: August 23, 2009 6:52 AM
    TLE
  • zemnas75

regardless that there will be no co-op story mode this game will be a big hit and is an awsome game.

Posted: August 23, 2009 6:15 AM
    zemnas75
  • japanicjess

This is going to be the best game out till modern warfare 3 hits the shelves so i dont know what this noob is whining about. ODST is going to be fail

Posted: August 23, 2009 3:39 AM