Final Fantasy XIII - Xbox 360

• Publisher: Square Enix
  • Genre:RPG
  • Developer: Square Enix
  • Release Date:Mar 9, 2010
  • # of Players:1 player
  • ESRB:T - Teen (Mild Language,Suggestive Themes,Violence)
  • Platforms:
Game Description: Face your destiny in Final Fantasy XIII with this whole new adventure where you battle powerful enemies and befriend magical allies in the worlds of Cocoon and Pulse.
G4TV Rating
4 / 5
  • Avg User Rating
    (85 Ratings)
    4.3 / 5
  • Rate This Game
Final Fantasy XIII Preview
Article_69937

Final Fantasy XIII Preview

By Rob Manuel - Posted Feb 12, 2010

I’m sure by now you’ve seen the videos, read all the previews, and gobbled up every salacious headline that’s crossed the webs. For our last hands-on preview before the game ships on March 9th, I present to you the final thirteen things you need to know about Final Fantasy XIII.

Final Fantasy XIII International Trailer

I. Not just a pretty face… but still pretty cute. -  Our little excursion took us to the grand prairies of Pulse, a world filled with lush vegetation and exotic enemies. The guide pointed out the little details that you could only catch on an HD screen – the design and texture in Lighting’s outfit, bit of her hair being tossed by the wind, mammoth creatures moving in the distant background. We can only hope that the rest of the game looks this spectacular.

II. Wild Wide World – As you may have already read by now, many of the Final Fantasy maps allow very little wiggle room for exploration. We’re not talking about a straight shot down the center, but some are pretty close to that. On Pulse, however, the world opens up to exploration.  Freedom of movement also allows for more strategy and the ability to pick your battles.

III. Very Active Time Battle – So we all know what an active time battle system is by now, right? Square plays around with the tried and true system by allowing you to add multiple attacks as the bar fills. You can even stack your next series of attacks before the bar fills all the way. Interestingly enough, they use this idea to do away with another Final Fantasy staple – MP. Spells now take up a longer piece of the gauge in order to execute. No ether required here.

Final Fantasy XIII

IV. Staggering Revelations – Each enemy now has a stagger gauge. Hit them enough times and they’ll fall into a mode where each of your next attacks will cause more damage. The trick here is finding their weakness. Attacking with what hurts the most raise the stagger gauge even faster. Our demo showed a creature take punishment from a couple of sword strike but go down easily to a couple of spells.

V. A Summons of My Own – You only get one, but sometimes that’s all you need. Each of the characters gets their own summons to call down from the sky to dish out some much needed pain. When called upon, the summons or Eidolon takes the places of the other two characters in your party. They’ll dish out damage by your side until transforming into their Gestalt Mode. Lighting’s Odin, for example, transforms into a horse that our heroine rides into battle.

VI. No Levels Needed – Taking a cue from FFX’s sphere grid, the Crystarium system doesn’t depend on straight leveling to evolve the characters. Instead, special points awarded from battle can be put towards any number of roles in the system. Adding more points to a specific role may give the character new abilities, raise a certain stat, or open up new roles. While any character can learn any role, some characters have advantages in certain roles than others. Lighting’s quick hands make her ideal for attacking roles while Snow’s higher health stats let him take the punishment required for the role of a Sentinel.

Final Fantasy XIII

VII. Know Your Role(s) –While in previous titles you could as easily cast a spell as swing a sword, roles dictate the abilities of each character. Healers, for instance, can only fling around Cura and couple of other healing spells. Don’t expect them to pull out a sword once the going gets rough. During the demo, we found ourselves switching several times during battle depending on how things were going. If things got rough, we would fall back to a team with healers and buffer, switch to debuffers and offensive magic to raise their stagger, and then finish them off with an all out onslaught of attackers.

VIII. Remember the Fans – With all this talk of change, we were assured that fans will see many of their favorites returning to the series. Like any Final Fantasy game, there will be airships, Cid, and chocobos. There was also a mention of hidden bosses. Anyone familiar with the Ruby and Emerald Weapons from Final Fantasy VII will know that they will have a fight ahead of them.

IX. No Room At the Inn – Instead of having to use up precious potions or hot footing it over to an inn, FFXIII heals you instantly between battles. Keep moving. There’s no time to waste on potions. We have monsters to kill.

Final Fantasy XIII

X. Newcomers Welcomed – For players getting used to the new systems (roles, paradigm shifts, the bright flashing colors), Square lets you ease into everything with an auto attack option. It’s not a “get out of battle” free card, but it will pick the best attacks from your given options. Auto attack won’t pick the right roles or let you know when you need to switch. That’s still up to you.

XI. A Swift Death – Die and you just get to try it again. Yes, it’s that easy. Instead of throwing you back to where you last saved, FFXIII gives you a second chance to learn from your mistakes. Try it again with a different strategy, or try to avoid the fight. Once again, it’s all about pushing you forward and keeping that momentum going as much as possible.

XII. The Thing About No Towns – Towns are sticky. Once you find one, you get into a comfortable pattern of fighting and fleeing back to an inn for a little healing. The developers behind FFXIII don’t want you to get stuck in any one place for too long. It honestly breaks my heart a little to see the towns disappear. Square always manages to give these little burgs a personality all their own. It makes sense in a grander scheme, however, if you want the player to constantly move forward with not only the fighting but the story.

XIII. Final Thoughts – From out demo, you could sum up everything into two words: flow and strategy. Square seems determined to keep players moving and thinking while trouncing around some beautiful vistas. Will it work? You’ll have to wait and see our review.

• deleted_9B869BAC-CF99-4FD5-9030-7471A59374BE

Hi, Here's how to get yourself a free PS3, iPod, wii or even cash!. Just go to - urfreegiftscom It's FREE and has been� researched by the BBC to be absolutely genuine. Simply� go to the site and select the gift you would like or� cash if you prefer. For full info and proof its real� just go to urfreegiftscom

Posted: March 22, 2010 12:49 AM
    deleted_9B869BAC-CF99-4FD5-9030-7471A59374BE
  • Baelarr

I'm getting it for the 360. I bought a 360 for a reaon and I'm not sorry about it. I'm just glad we get to play FFXIII in the first place. I had given up on that when I bought my 360. Stop hating fanboys because we get to have fun too. It doesn't matter what system it's on, we're all going to have fun!

Posted: February 24, 2010 11:48 PM
    Baelarr
  • Marcus202

Everyone keeps bringing up this 360 vs. PS3 issue, who cares, its totally irrelevant which system you play it on.

My main concern with this game, is it takes more than just having summons(eidolons), cid, and chocobos into making this as iconic as previous FF games. Without towns to explore, an open world I can run around in/fly around, mini games, side quests, hidden areas, bonus characters, etc etc I see little to attract me to this game other than the nostalgia of good graphics and addictive gameplay. I may be the only one here but I found that every FF game from X on (including X) were horrible renditions of the previous versions. My opinion, is they should stick to what worked in the first place and keep the tradition of their old games FF7, FF5, FF6, FF9 while adding a little bit of the new.

Posted: February 23, 2010 12:47 PM
    Marcus202
  • Shinjiro

Ive played most of the final fantasy in the series and I would prefferably play FFVIII on the PS3 becuase of the graphics but all I have is a 360,still this game is going to look fantastic on both consoles and the story will be great

Posted: February 21, 2010 5:11 PM
    Shinjiro
  • madmike6

there is one question that i have for square enix.
    i just wanted to know when you get a new weapon does it look different.

Posted: February 20, 2010 11:06 AM
    madmike6
  • madmike6

the thing is i used to have a 360 but i traded it for a ps3.
    i have been a fan of the series since finalfantasy 7,
    and a lot of people complain about how its on both systems.
    i agree with maiestas777, all of this arguing about which system it should be on takes away from the game itself. all im saying is you people need to stop complaining, there is nothing you can do about it.
    if square enix decides that they want the game on both systems, then it will be so.
    oh and fyi if you want to get technical square is not betraying anybody seeing is how the series started
    on NINTENDO

Posted: February 20, 2010 12:03 AM
    madmike6
  • thegamenformer

This is the first FF im actually nervous about getting im starting to think that their slowly but surely taking out the things that made the games so great in the first place. I could write all day bout the things that shouldn't be out of the game but i wont except for the summons or what ever there names are in this one CARS really im sure there is some reasoning behind it all, all though i havent seen or figured it out yet. Im kinda feeling like if it wasnt broke dont fix it. All the other titles up to FFIX and even FFX (loved the battle system expecally how the summons were set up props on that) even without the free roam, were awsome games loved to play them again and again. Couldn't tell ya bout XI strictly online that was a load donky due and FFXII is all good but the battle system sucks its like w.o.w. and if i wanted to play w.o.w. i wouldve got it instead. I just hope FFXIII dont flop ive been, along with alot of peps waiting for a long time, if it does though hopfully it will pay off my g.o.w.3 reseve hellz ya baby lol. But for real if it does flop to redeam yourself enix, remake some of the older titles im not talking the ones you can download to your systems. I mean full blown remakes "cough FFVI,VII,VIII, cough" and while we have fun playing those babys go back to the things that work that made them the games they were and fast cus if this one does i think the fanasty is final for me :(... or untill you take my advice

Posted: February 17, 2010 9:50 PM
    thegamenformer
  • trippo88

Stop the fanboy bullcrap. Just be happy they will make more money now to keep pumpin out the quality. And hopefully the lack of towns wont cut from the cool side stories

Posted: February 17, 2010 7:07 PM
    trippo88
  • TheRussianX

Alright, let me say this, I'm getting this for the 360, because I only have a 360. If I had the money to get a PS3, then I would get a PS3, but to get to my point is that the 360 version of the games is the same as the PS3 version of the game. A console is a console, it plays games. So, I don't even want to hear that "ooh, it doesn't feel right on the 360 because Final Fantasy has been with Sony so long." But this is a breakthrough for Microsoft, because Square Enix is allowing Final Fantasy 13 to be on the 360. Just give it a chance people. Besides the point, I like having games that have multiple disks, it's like an accomplishment of how you progressed in the game, and it's like buying more than what you paid for.

For whoever read this post, thank you for taking your time to read this. I'm just a gamer trying to prove a point that there really is no difference between the PS3 and the 360. It's a game people just play it and have fun.

Posted: February 16, 2010 2:22 PM
    TheRussianX
  • Traveller69

I LOL'd the first time I read a comment about this game "belonging" on the playstation....Just NO people. DO NOT COMMENT WHEN YOU ARE COMLPETELY IGNORANT. It makes you sound like even more of a moron than you probably are. Also, you have no right to call yourself a gamer or post on the boards of a gaming site when your knowledge of games doesn't extend beyond 1997 (or whatever date Square started using Sony, I'm not really good with details). Square Soft (did you know they used to be called that?) released their games on Nintendo consoles long before the Sony Playstation.

To the game...I will not be playing this game...ever. It has nothing to draw me in. Nothing I liked about earlier Square games. The most important thing is the story as far as I am concerned. Then comes main character. Square started losing me with 10 because Tidus is a whiny little beehotch, whatever happened to the days of Crono (who never spoke a word during the game)??? I couldn't even finish 12 no matter how hard I tried because of the characters. Thus Square will never again recieve money from me, they have forever lost my fanship (is that a word?) and I am incredibly saddened by that fact but from where I am standing it is unavoidable and unchanging.

Posted: February 15, 2010 9:17 PM
    Traveller69
  • theeternal417

I really wish people would stop complaining about the multi console launch, Square is putting out the game on both because BOTH SYSTEMS ARE CAPABLE OF HANDLING IT and both systems have the fans who have been dying for it. Don't quote me but square's initial jump to PSX might have had something to do with the N64 having a MAX cardridge size of 64mb. PS3's still getting VERSUS (in my opinion probably going to be the better game sadly) so please fan boys sit quietly in your corner and wait for it to release

Posted: February 15, 2010 7:52 PM
    theeternal417
  • theeternal417

@traveller69

you can skip cut scenes in ME2 minus scenes with P/R interupts, ME1 you couldnt. And this isnt about not wanting to read in a game, its about wanting my character to have more depth then "pick one of these 4 one liners". atleast in mass effect shepard has some depth, has real conversations, shows emotion. oh haha your comment about tidus being whiny, while i totally agree about that he doesnt hold a candle to the dude from "infinite undiscovery" on 360 anyone whos ever played that game knows what i'm talking about

Posted: February 15, 2010 7:46 PM
    theeternal417
  • Traveller69

@theeternal

No, I've never missed having full voice acting in any game. Maybe its because I read at an incredible rate, not that I could try for a title or something, but I have never felt bad about playing a game with a lot of text in it. For me, when it comes to dialogue and cutscenes the most important thing is the ability to skip anything and everything. I understand that Bioware prefers their works of art being seen...but the fact remains, when I've already seen it, I would like to be able to skip anything at any time. I'm on my 3rd play-through and the ability to skip non-interupt scenes would make a great deal of a difference.

Posted: February 15, 2010 7:23 PM
    Traveller69
  • theeternal417

I've played every final fantasy game i've ever managed to get my hands on and I honestly have to say I'm not enthusiastic about it after all these updates. I'm sure when I actually play it release day I'll love it I just dont like second guessing it before it actually comes out in NA (really concerned about the no towns thing)

Someone was mentioning that the 360 version is 4 disks and therefore larger then the PS3 blu ray but seeing as how both games will be identical i imagine ps3 will go with the dual layer blu ray which holds 50gb. I really pitty the fan boys out there who dont just admit they cant afford both concoles though lol.

For those of us who own all of them what a year we have, i'm already spending so much time on mass effect 2 and bioshock 2, now i gotta make room to beat heavy rain before FF falls in march...... for those of you final fantasy lovers with 360's i'd really recommend getting a PS3 too for when versus comes out, I'm hearing alot of great things

Oh side question, is anyone whos played ME2 having trouble going back to DA with the MUTE player characters? God i want to love the game again but i just can't stand the silence.

Posted: February 15, 2010 7:13 PM
    theeternal417
  • bageta10

can't wait for this game.

Posted: February 15, 2010 9:28 AM
    bageta10
  • Sage_Sakyia

Was going to add something, don't see an edit button, should be a way to edit, but, oh well..

What I was going to say is, if I don't like FF13 and don't get it, no biggy really, with DA: Awakening, Just Cause 2, Red Dead Redemption, Mafia II, and Fallout: Vegas on the way, as well as a few others by years end like Fable III, it's not like I have nothing to play to escape from reality. Not to mention currently playing ME2, Bioshock 2, and finishing up a few others.

If I really want a JRPG, I'll get Star Ocean: Last Hope, it's on my wishlist @ Amazon, it's 1 of those games that got "lost in the fold".

Posted: February 14, 2010 8:04 PM
    Sage_Sakyia
  • Sage_Sakyia

Yeah, after seeing a bunch more videos and reading about it, I'm leaning towards not getting it. I may still get it when I see it used through a seller at Amazon for around $30, maybe.

I know a lot will disagree, and this is my "opinion", but I'm going to say something I've been saying for the past few years, Square is losing their touch, really, in my opinion, they really are, they're not nearly as good as they used to be, I liked them better back in the days of Chrono, Secret of Mana, FF6, etc. They kicked ass back then, and they were once my favorite company, but not in a long time, and I used to have a lot of faith in them. Yeah, to the point where I'd just buy the next FF, but those days are long since gone.

Oh, and in my humble "opinion", summons are beasts, or gods, or god-like, they are not, and should not, be machine-like, I really don't like that at all. Was going to try and let it slide, but after watching a few videos, I dunno, don't think I can, not when the list of things I don't like about it keep rising. Also, that 1 video where Fang is showing off Bahamut, jesus, she talks "every" single time he does a move, like "let me in on the fun" (when it transforms), then for every attack it's like: "Shred him" "Get him", "Unleash power", Shred him", "Get him", Shred him"...you get the idea.. I dunno, that would bother/annoy me after a while, after like a bunch of times. It was starting to annoy me in those few times int he video, so I can't imagine tolerating a ton more of it. Then, when he leaves, she's like "what a sweetheart"....the hell is with that? Retarded..

Someone said it isn't doing well in Japan, truthfully, I'm not surprised, like I said, they're losing they're touch.

Posted: February 14, 2010 6:40 PM
    Sage_Sakyia
  • mawey karwen

this game should be good. it looks really fun, and to all the people who are complaining about what system they but this on. wtf. they had to choose a page why does it matter whih one. the game is coming out on both. It will be the same on either one so cut the crap.

Posted: February 14, 2010 4:59 PM
    mawey+karwen
  • JimMD102

This is going to be the resident evil 4 of final fantasy. By that I mean it will probably be good, but it will be the time when the franchise has to completely change its style to conform with the times which will leave longtime fanboys in the dust while appealing to newbies and flexible fanboys.

Posted: February 14, 2010 3:11 PM
    JimMD102
  • ServerModerator

I hate the English.... Voice Actors...

Posted: February 14, 2010 2:55 PM