Final Fantasy XIII - Xbox 360

• Publisher: Square Enix
  • Genre:RPG
  • Developer: Square Enix
  • Release Date:Mar 9, 2010
  • # of Players:1 player
  • ESRB:T - Teen (Mild Language,Suggestive Themes,Violence)
  • Platforms:
Game Description: Face your destiny in Final Fantasy XIII with this whole new adventure where you battle powerful enemies and befriend magical allies in the worlds of Cocoon and Pulse.
G4TV Rating
4 / 5
  • Avg User Rating
    (85 Ratings)
    4.3 / 5
  • Rate This Game
Final Fantasy XIII GamesCom 2009 Preview
Article_68208

Final Fantasy XIII GamesCom 2009 Preview

By Andrew Pfister - Posted Aug 21, 2009

A month or so ago, I finally got to try out the Japanese demo for Final Fantasy XIII. I didn't know much about the story or battle system going into it, but after seeing it in action (the game is *gorgeous* if you're fortunate enough to have an HD display), and messing around with the basics of stacked attack commands and combat chains (tough to figure out in Japanese), I got hooked very quickly.

And after seeing a new demo of Final Fantasy XIII at GamesCom today run by producer Yoshinori Kitase and director Motomu Toriyama, I'm even more excited. The new location is a frozen-over and completely crystalized lake area, but what's more important is that it's the first time I can see the battle menu in beautiful, understandable English.

It's then that I learn about the Paradigm Shift system. Working in conjunction with Active Time Battle, your party is able to shift into different class roles during combat, depending on what the situation calls for. For instance, you can shift into "Aggression" to increase your offensive power, or even kick it up a notch further with "Overwhelm." As your party progresses through the game, they'll be able to learn new specific jobs, and it's that combination of job skills that forms the various offensive, defensive, and healing paradigms.

I also got to see the Summoning system in its full glory, including the second phase of summoning: Ghestalt mode. To demonstrate this, we saw main character Lightning summon Odin. In the first phase of summoning, Odin (or whoever it is being called) fights along side you using the regular battle system. The better you perform during this phase -- chain combos, mostly -- the more time you have in Ghestalt mode, which completely changes the battle by turning it into an action game, akin to something like Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core. When we asked Kitase and Toriyama what inspired this action-oriented approach, they said they wanted to use the high-quality visuals and fast-paced action to appeal to a wider range of players who might not necessarily be into a Final Fantasy game (or RPG altogether).

Summons are tied to one character, but as Kitase explained, they'll appear in other situations during the game, and we'll get to see some brand-new faces, in addition to the series favorites (Odin, Shiva, Ifrit, etc.).

One other tidbit that came up only because we were the first demo during the entire GamesCom event where Toriyama died in battle: there's an instant battle restart should you die. (No more losing two hours worth of progress because I accidentally got into a fight with a Marlboro!)

The PS3 version of Final Fantasy XIII is about "90%" complete, and the Xbox 360 version is currently at "70%" as it enters its debugging phase. All localization is complete, so it's just a matter of time. As we found out today, Square Enix is considering releasing a demo via the console download services, and we were promised that we'd see even more new content at Tokyo Game Show next month.

• KoPaull_Vissick

OMG people it does look amazing and that release date needs to not change my B-day for the release is awesome but seriously why all the crap about dual platforms just cause its been 7 games since the last time it changed why cry about it. just go worship your PS3 that you spent too much money on and dont worry about the other platforms or do you have to be reminded that the first one was a 8 bit nintendo game that no one outside of japan saw for many years

Posted: August 25, 2009 8:03 PM
    KoPaull_Vissick
  • narutolover990

even though i dont own a ps3, im loving this game so far!!!!

Posted: August 24, 2009 3:06 PM
    narutolover990
  • SheoDagana

With the new slim PS3 coming out, it's only a matter of time before I get one. But not for this game. I'm still going to get this game on the 360. Why? Because I have a standard definition television - visuals don't mean anything to me.

I hated Final Fantasy XII and most SE games in general lately - the only thing good to come from them anymore are games made by Tri-Ace. I have been with Final Fantasy since the second game on the SNES and I no longer see the series as one that can do no wrong, like most fanboys do. I am hoping this game will renew my faith.

Posted: August 24, 2009 1:16 PM
    SheoDagana
  • DarknellStealth

@Hoof_hearted4
    Yo $ony fanrat!! When has Square-Enix said they have dumbed down the graphics for the Xbox360 version of Final Fantasy Xlll!? I read alot articles (official statements from Square-Enix on many websites)I have not see the words dumbed down on anything in the Xbox360 version! I rather wait for the REVIEW of the game! and NOT listen to some $ony fanrat like YOU!!!

Posted: August 23, 2009 10:40 PM
    DarknellStealth
  • DarknellStealth

@Secondtooth
    I'm happy its coming to the Xbox360! YOU DIRTY $ONY FANRAT!!!

Posted: August 23, 2009 10:24 PM
    DarknellStealth
  • hoof_hearted4

@ xConvict666

well there are a few things wrong with what ur saying. first off the game has to be dumbed down (in graphics) so the 360 can handle it, hence they are making versus for the PS3 so they can go ballistic on graphics. also the 360 isnt a better more likeable system its just for ppl who couldnt afford the PS3, but now that the PS3 slim is coming out and price is droppin $100 u will see that the PS3 will be bought by a lot more ppl and everyone will then see why the PS3 is just plain and simply a better system and on top of that they will see that the PS3 has A LOT better games (im talking about the exclusives of course)

Posted: August 23, 2009 10:15 PM
    hoof_hearted4
  • xConvict666

GO SOMEWHERE ELSE & CRY ABOUT IT 360 HATERS! I GOT BOTH SYSTEMS & THERE'S NO FREAKING WAY I WOULD GET IT ON THE PS3... SQUARE ENIX DID THE RIGHT THING WITH PUTTING IT ON THE 360 IT'LL MAKE MORE MONEY & A MORE POPULAR, BETTER, & LIKEABLE SYSTEM PERIOD!!!

Posted: August 23, 2009 10:43 AM
    xConvict666
  • Silky08

I am just... :D

Posted: August 23, 2009 9:21 AM
    Silky08
  • glanesb

Praying it is worth the wait. Have to quit job and Lovingly put aside Star Ocean and Lost Odyssey!!!!
    Come to me demo....come to me.....

Posted: August 23, 2009 8:16 AM
    glanesb
  • NakedSnake14

Ok then we are well on the way for our Spring 2010 release, thats a good thing although I would not be mad if it came out in the summer either, just means a better game, and a little bit more wait time. 2 things I am BEGGING Sqaure-Enix to do at TGS is announce KH3, and give me something on Versus XIII please.

Posted: August 22, 2009 10:33 PM
    NakedSnake14
  • Poop lord

Jesus Christ!!!My nipples are hard just thinkin about it!!!

Posted: August 22, 2009 10:04 PM
    Poop+lord
  • The Icon Don

oh n im still kinda ticked that square decided to go to 360. that prob means that KH will be there too... a lot of games have been goin to the 360 and to my knolewdge i think bioshock is th only game to go from 360 to the p23 (there's probably more but i ont know) but i believe that the final fantasy series are one of the games that helped made the ps3 the force it is...

Posted: August 22, 2009 7:39 PM
    The+Icon+Don
  • The Icon Don

im mad hyped up about the new final fntasy ahhhh!
    i got into it after watchin advent children. after that i wanted to know everything bout final fantasy n square enix (mostly jus VII and up) i had a 10-2 but didnt play it or give it a chance til i watched AC. Square makes some incredible storylines.i didnt really understand too much of XII but i liked the gameplay. n their cinema type cutscenes are still unmatched i think.im really lookin foward to the new game and the one after that too since watchin the demo and trailer.

Posted: August 22, 2009 7:33 PM
    The+Icon+Don
  • Tygraph

FFX was superb with the summoning and all of that, so it's good to hear that they integrated that into the game in a slightly similar was. Summons were one of my favorite parts of the core FF series. It looks a lot more like FFX and that is amazing since that (and VII) are my favorites.

Posted: August 22, 2009 6:29 PM
  • greattom12

i dont see why they are going to realease it almost exactly 1 year from now if they are 90% done, i mean i know they want to advertise and stuff but 1 year when its nearly done??

Posted: August 22, 2009 5:08 PM
    greattom12
  • _Ataraxia_

I can't believe how excited I am. I've loved the series for a long time and I hope they don't disappoint there long standing fan-base. But honestly I don't think there is a chance in hell that I will be. I've loved all FF's good or bad.

Posted: August 22, 2009 4:05 PM
    _Ataraxia_
  • elminino

i hope this game is as good as all the other final fantasys. well the graphics look realy good,so now let see the gameplay

Posted: August 22, 2009 3:51 PM
    elminino
  • Raiku1991

I am supremely impressed, I can't wait for this game to come out.
    When it comes to the 360 version though, I think it will truly show what the ps3 is capable of.
    Think about it, one blu-ray compared to three (I think it was three?) discs of hd-dvd. and the fact that they're tweeking the visuals to fit it onto the 360 discs.

Posted: August 22, 2009 2:44 PM
    Raiku1991
  • toko780

ff vs 13 will be better!

Posted: August 22, 2009 2:16 PM
    toko780
  • 100percentgood

so i just watched one of the more recent trailers (E3 i believe) and noticed something strange...

nearly half of the english dialogue had english lip syncs...

im wondering if a large majority of the delays in releasing the game are due to the fact that they are re-animating all of the dialogue to match the english voice cast? i never heard any story of that, but its not exactly something square has a track record for.

in fact, the only square games ive ever played with english lip syncing are the KH games.

id be very pleased if XIII had english syncing! i hate simple overdubs...

Posted: August 22, 2009 10:01 AM