Battlefield 3 - Xbox 360

Game Description: Battlefield 3 for Xbox 360, the latest installment in DICE's long-running Battlefield franchise, is expected to reflect the experience of war most realistically of other shooters.
G4TV Rating
4 / 5
  • Avg User Rating
    (285 Ratings)
    4.3 / 5
  • Rate This Game
Battlefield 3 Gamescom 2011 Hands-On Preview -- We Save You A Nine Hour Wait
Article_75372

Battlefield 3 Gamescom 2011 Hands-On Preview -- We Save You A Nine Hour Wait

By Kevin Kelly - Posted Aug 26, 2011

Battlefield 3 already has plenty of hardcore fans, and the game hasn't even come out yet. At E3 earlier this year, lines stretched as long as four hours to get some brief hands-on time with the multiplayer. However, that's nothing compared to gamescom, which is open to the general public, where lines were up to nine hours long in order to play the game for about 15 minutes. Now that, my friends, is ridiculous. But not nearly as ridiculous as one of the guys I met who waited in line for hours to be one of the first in the gamescom doors on Friday, where he ran directly to BF3, played it, and then left and got right back into an eight hour line for the same game. That's an insane level of dedication for a game that comes out in the couple of months.

I'll recreate the experience for you right here, as we also had to venture down to the show floor at gamescom to get our Battlefield on. First, you had to sit through a 15 minute presentation that was entirely in German, which you can't really fault EA for since the conference takes place in Germany. And, as a victim of the American education system, I don't speak German. But, I was sort of able to pull from context and understand most of the video. Which seemed to be "Find the enemy and kill them."

There were brief rundowns of the class changes, which we detailed in our E3 Battlefield 3 hands-on preview, and I made the decision there and then to be the Assault class, now armed with a defibrillator so I could bring my downed buddies back to life, while charging forward and taking care of enemy soldiers. At least, that was my noble idea. Things didn't exactly go according to plan, which ended up costing me dearly.

As we finished up the film and filed into the gaming area (all on PCs, by the way), I studied the game card and wished fervently for a gamepad, which is how I experience things on the PC back at E3. But, I had to get used to the mouse and keyboard all over again at some point, and this seemed as good a time as any to dive back in. Unfortunately, the instruction card was in German as well, so strike two for our public schools. "Was ist eine button for to make kill guy?" doesn't really cut it, internationally.

We spawned onto the enormous 64 player Caspian Border map, with all of us splitting into one of two 32 player teams. As with any multiplayer match of Battlefield, everyone immediately scrambles for the airborne vehicles, and the hotly contested jet usually lasted about .025 milliseconds on the landing strip before someone jumped in it and zoomed into the skies above. While this map is extremely large, it still seems as though it's not entirely jet-friendly. ZOOM, turn around, ZOOM turn around. ZOOM, turn around, and so on. As much as I wanted to get into a jet to try this out, I gritted my teeth and climbed into a tank, which actually turned out to be a good decision.

I lasted about ten minutes inside that tank, taking occasional damage while being patched up by passing Engineers, and I managed to take out 12 enemy soldiers while taking and re-taking three different bases. But finally I heard the familiar WHOOP, WHOOP which translates to "Your tank is about to blow up, idiot" and I had to bail. Once I was on foot, I kept getting owned by enemy snipers. As in seriously owned. The game will totally rub that in your face by zooming off to the smug, sunglass-ed face of the soldier who did it, and you couldn't help but hate them.

Once the match was over (we lost), I had a strong desire to step back through and play it again, but the last thing I wanted to do was displace someone that had waited for nine hours to get in here and experience the game. Battlefield 3 stands as one of the most graphically intense, realistic shooters out there, and playing 32 players vs. another 32 provides an unequaled gaming experience. If you can manage to round up 31 friends to go online with you, you're going to have a complete blast once you figure out who's in command. And even if you play solo, you're going to wish BF3 was permanently installed in your game system.

• NathanielMorris

Battlefield 3 Beta is Here http://www.bf3blog.webs.com

Posted: September 18, 2011 2:19 PM
    NathanielMorris
  • bstjohn

I've found my interest in COD dwindling over the last couple of versions. Sadly though, it isn't the game that is ruining it for me, it is the people that play it. The game is wonderfully refined but that vast amount of a$$bags that play it just destroy the online environment. You don't have that with Battlefield. It seems like I always make it into rooms with decent people which completes the online experience for me. Battlefield is just as polished (if not a little more) that COD which may just cause me not to buy this year's version of COD but I'll definitely be there for the midnight release of Battlefield!

Posted: September 5, 2011 1:12 AM
    bstjohn
  • TheRedBaron1157

Battlefield 3 looks awsome i can tell it will be a much better time than COD3 but its still going to be left in the dust by Call of Duty in the number of people playing it just because its going up against a Call Of Duty Game............ Its all in the title and history of a series.........a Call of duty Game can suck but people will still buy it and play it just because its Call Of Duty.

Posted: September 4, 2011 12:20 PM
    TheRedBaron1157
  • ItsMePeopleCmon

I'm still not very impreessed with any Battlefield title... The stories from Bad Company were lame and they move so slowly, I was totally taken out of the experience... They had good qualities such as destructible environments and what not, but the gameplay, gunplay to be more specific was always a little slow for my taste... And the people in multi-player are so l33t its disturbing

But as with any game I reserve my judgment until the actual release...

Posted: September 4, 2011 10:29 AM
    ItsMePeopleCmon
  • willay757

ANSWER RPG-FAN'S QUESTION G4!!! AND STOP TAKIN ME TO CRAPBOX 360 BACKGROUND WHEN I'M IN PS3 SECTION OF THE SITE AND CLICK A LINK DAMNIT!!! HOW MUCH ARE THEY EFFIN PAYIN YOU GUYS BEHIND THE SCENES???

Posted: September 3, 2011 10:08 PM
    willay757
  • coastguard21

Battlefield 3 and MW3 should not be compared. That would be like comparing Halo to Assassin's Creed. MW3 is a shined up version of CoD 4 and so was MW2. BF3 is the sequel to one of the greatest FPS of all time.

Posted: September 3, 2011 5:31 AM
    coastguard21
  • formerroadie

Freak'n... badass.

Posted: September 2, 2011 5:54 PM
    formerroadie
  • TheAcussedOne

OMFG!!!!!! THIS LOOKS AMAZING CANT WAIT TO PLAY RUSH,I HATE TO SAY IT IM A COD FAN BUT THIS BETTER AND BETTER EVERYTIME I SEE IT,BC2 WAS AWESOME,BUT 3 IS ON A WHOLE ANOTHER LEVEL,GAME LOOKS GREAT :D

Posted: September 2, 2011 12:33 PM
    TheAcussedOne
  • Shinobiowns

Um I am a COD fan, but this game absolutely takes a crap all over COD period. I wish I could play it on PC = (.

Posted: September 1, 2011 8:24 PM
    Shinobiowns
  • TheJohnnyFizzle

I can say this game is amazing! I was one of many few that got to play the Alpha until is was over August 1. This game has great graphic and quality. Hours of online gaming is worth every second.

Those of you that are asking about teams.
    Teams are broke down into 4 teams of 4 people on a squad in a 16 vs 16 match on rush mode. You communicate with ur squad members and take control as a team.

Playing the Battlefield 3 Alpha was one of the most greatest experiences I had on stress testing a game and my favorite thing was that the physical tracts of leaping over a wall instead of jumping buy pressing the jump button. Made it easier to move and attack the enemy or defended the base.

Posted: August 31, 2011 12:22 PM
  • Puking_Goombas

here's how i look at it.

Both Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3 are going to sell big. I'm sure we can all agree on that.
    Which game is better? I don't think they're better than each other. They're both fantastic games in their own. I still play Bad Company 2's multiplayer along with Black Ops. I enjoy both titles to the fullest. And i know the same is going to be for Battlefield 3 and MW3. I know I'm going to own both and i know I'm going to enjoy both of their online play along with their campaigns. Now, how they both feel while playing is a different story. If you want a more tactical experience with some form of realism and huge ass maps. play battlefield. That's why i play the battlefield games. Now, the Call of Duty series has always been a strong regarding it's multiplayer because of it's fast-paced arcade like deathmatch system that everyone loves to play. That's why I want MW3.

Finally, I can't wait to play both of these games and crash my jet into enemy tanks while I eject from my plane at last second.

Posted: August 31, 2011 11:26 AM
    Puking_Goombas
  • RAMBO509

MW3 will take out BF3 in Multiplayer no matter what!

Posted: August 31, 2011 11:18 AM
    RAMBO509
  • badaloch

the Future of First Person Shooters

The future of first person shooters looks bright indeed my fellow FPS lovers, for all you who love the interesting and in depth story lines, precision sharp shooters, and those who simply enjoy the entertainment of chopping down your enemy with a well equipped and personalized assault rifle! Oh the joy we receive from the awesome, well graphically designed explosions striking the heart of the enemy team and the endless fun produced by awesomely designed online game play. The heart of this amazing gaming genre lies in many popular series and titles such as the famous Call of Duty, Battlefield, Medal of Honor, and many great games from the brilliant war mind of Tom Clancy. But the future of FPS gaming lies in the hands of few upcoming titles that many are hopeful for and would possibly even jump from a cliff to obtain (though i don't recommend it). These brilliant, well awaited titles, that we hold out breaths for, could lead us into a great new age of shooters with games like...

to view more check out http://bgameking.blogspot.com!

Posted: August 30, 2011 1:41 PM
  • audiotwo

Screw Call of Duty...I'm no longer impressed with Calls no vehicle tiny map game play. Camp here or Camp there. Battlefield makes you actually think and change tactics. I'm good at call but it doesn't take much skill. Shoot whatever moves. Battlefield actually makes me pay more attention to my map and where things are happening. Sometimes in battlefield I won't kill anyone until I plant c4 traps and set the bomb. Sneaky Ca. Call is lame. Improve your game or just keep putting out map packs, what's the difference. See yall on the Battlefield.

Posted: August 30, 2011 11:49 AM
    audiotwo
  • thehungrynerd

I'm a massive fan of both series i have two copies of each game. But it seems Battlefield will be better.

Posted: August 30, 2011 8:51 AM
    thehungrynerd
  • brucenatelee

I just hope this game differentiates the different multiplayer teams. Before in BC1, you had to go by the name colors.

Posted: August 29, 2011 10:42 PM
    brucenatelee
  • KreamKornShytz

Oct, 25th shall be a blessed one.... Thank Video Games.

Posted: August 29, 2011 12:07 AM
    KreamKornShytz
  • KreamKornShytz

Im jus saying,,, I was sold on the video!!! Ive played both.. Battlefield has this authentic realism to it. And now, the rise of a NEW CHAMP is comin to town...

Posted: August 29, 2011 12:06 AM
    KreamKornShytz
  • CosmicBrownies

You know that G4 will still give MW3 a 5/5 just because it's a COD title & this game will end up with a 4/5! Muff Cabbage I Say!

Posted: August 28, 2011 9:48 PM
    CosmicBrownies
  • hayseman

Also another question. How were the teams organized? Was it all separate squads like in BFBC2? How was the communication set up? Were there any mechanics that allowed everyone on your team to be able to come up with a strategy?

Posted: August 28, 2011 4:17 PM