Battlefield 3 - Xbox 360

Game Description: Battlefield 3 for Xbox 360, the latest installment in DICE's long-running Battlefield franchise, is expected to reflect the experience of war most realistically of other shooters.
G4TV Rating
4 / 5
  • Avg User Rating
    (285 Ratings)
    4.3 / 5
  • Rate This Game
Battlefield 3 Console Hands-On Multiplayer Preview
Article_75066

Battlefield 3 Console Hands-On Multiplayer Preview

By Miguel Concepcion - Posted Jul 21, 2011

Considering the bombastic presentations of Battlefield 3 these past several months, you'd think our ears would still be ringing from all the rifle, cannon and mortar fire. We've gone over the game's relatively deep single player, as well as the squad-based gameplay in both single player and multiplayer. Our latest dose of hands-on time came from EA's Summer Showcase, where the publisher was finally ready to show off the previously unveiled Operation Metro map, but now on the PlayStation 3.

Unsurprisingly, Battlefield 3 performs well through to PlayStation 3 controls, which also conforms to a traditional console FPS button layout. While we do realize that Battlefield 3 has been redesigned with the PC as the lead platform, it was a mild downer to see a noticeable down-res in graphical quality with this PlayStation 3 version. It’s still in prealpha so we're hopeful for visual improvements come October.

One well known change in the series I was more curious about was the melding of the assault class and the medic into the so-called "combat medic", a well-equipped frontline soldier with defibrillators and health packs. I spent quite a bit of time trying to observe how this affected the whole team dynamic. Sure enough, there were moments where I felt very self-reliant, let alone more aggressive than I normally play. Our group session wasn't maxed out to a 24-player game, so I'm still intrigued how this change will work with a packed deathmatch with more recon, engineer, and support classes in the mix.

Like our past hands-on sessions, the game ventures beyond the familiar open environments of past Battlefields by including tighter urban areas. The Operation Metro map, for example, features a solid mix of outdoor and underground areas. It feels like a positive evolution of the best parts of the multiplayer from last year's Medal of Honor, where much of the quality comes courtesy of the latest Frostbite Engine.

Battlefield 3

Having had considerable time with the previous iterations of Frostbite through Battlefield: Bad
Company
and Bad Company 2, and Battlefield 1943, this demo was an opportune time to really test out its latest version as Battlefield 3 marks the debut of Frostbite 2.0. Among the engine’s touted five pillars of
animation, scale, rendering, destruction, and audio, the one area I methodically tested was destruction. With the help of a media colleague, I got to see how my combat medic would survive standing a room as the room collapsed on him. Understandably enough, I died two out of three times. It also sounds natural for EA's various studios to share notes, so it was a good fit for DICE to use the same ANT animation technology used in Madden.

In all, it's good finally see the console version's multiplayer in action, although it would be great to revisit this in a couple months and see how (and if) the graphics have improved. Given the October 25th release date (on PC, Xbox 360, and PS3), we're pretty sure we'll have a couple preview opportunities to delve deeper into the game.

• DevilishHornet

If I'm correct, Gears 3 and BF3 beta come out in my first month of school...... My teachers are going to get a bad first impression of me when I don't show up

Posted: July 22, 2011 9:09 PM
    DevilishHornet
  • dalmascus

couple of my fears, 1# console graffic unstable
    2# same freeking guns and attachments from Bad CO 2, UPDATE DICE!!!! 3# too much work on battlelog and not enough on the ingame lobby's to find games, i almost wish bungie would help them out.

and i'm not bashing battefield, i have been an avide supporter since the first bad company and when the next generation of consoles come's out dice is gonna own that thing lol

Posted: July 22, 2011 1:08 AM
    dalmascus
  • TheStranger110

so who else here says screw cod?????

Posted: July 21, 2011 6:25 PM
    TheStranger110
  • Jag23

I have to admit, it looks pretty damn good, but I hope it has a lot more modes (like ZOMBIES) or exploding dogs. Otherwise, it might not be as fun as COD... but it will look better.

Posted: July 21, 2011 5:12 PM
    Jag23
  • EconGeist

Wasn't the live demos at E3 on the PS3? I might be wrong though, but if it was PS3 gameplay I'm no where near worried about the graphics. Plus I'm still amazed by the graphics of Battlefield Bad Company 2. Call me old fashioned.

Posted: July 21, 2011 4:47 PM
  • Not_Matlock

"It feels like a positive evolution of the best parts of the multiplayer from last year's Medal of Honor"

There were best parts? Were those "best parts" good in comparison to other multiplayer games? I must have missed something then.

Posted: July 21, 2011 3:57 PM
    Not_Matlock
  • TheChampine88

this isnt even a "gameplay" video, just the same clips over and over while this girly man is talking the whole time..

Posted: July 21, 2011 1:52 PM
    TheChampine88
  • BrenLeahey

Y'know, the PS3 footage kicks the crap out of the highest graphical settings in CoD. Assuming that the PS3 and 360 are about half as powerful as high-end PCs, Activision should be pissing its pants.

Posted: July 21, 2011 1:20 PM
    BrenLeahey
  • jc18378

Love how PS3 gameplay of multiplayer is under 360 and not PS3 :)

Posted: July 21, 2011 1:08 PM
    jc18378
  • aces552

halo tried and fail but this is the official cod killer....weve seen the demos at e3 mw3 looks to much like mw2 so that means no real change in graphics but battlefield looks beautiful and they have the rest of the year to fix any problems....all i can say now is "bye cod"

Posted: July 21, 2011 1:00 PM
  • jestermarcus

More and more about this game is starting to worry me. Ports from PC to console and vise versa are rarely good. Only 32 players in a game sounds great, until you realize that that is only the max, I doubt you will see battles with near that too often. I get the feeling it will be a whole lot of 8vs8 and 12vs12. Also, the mixing of the assault and medical classes sounds like a disaster. Everybody is going to be that class now as it will be the most effective in combat. And now these graphical deficiencies. Great. Don't screw this up Dice, all eyes are on you right now while COD is struggling to get press.

Posted: July 21, 2011 11:00 AM
  • StoneRaven

Definitely going to be buying this one.

Posted: July 21, 2011 10:53 AM
  • Foxy-VII

Give me my gun, I'm going in!

Posted: July 21, 2011 10:35 AM