Conduit 2 - Wii

Game Description:Building upon the success of the original, Conduit 2 takes players to the far reaches of the world to stop an alien invasion which can be fought in single-player, online multiplayer battles, and all-new off and online co-op modes. Armed with advanced and powerful weapons, players can expect massive action in large, multi-tiered levels featuring dynamic environments, cinematic battles, giant adversaries, and deep customization features.
G4TV Rating
3 / 5
  • Avg User Rating
    (10 Ratings)
    4.3 / 5
  • Rate This Game
PAX 2010 Preview: The Conduit 2
Article_72060

PAX 2010 Preview: The Conduit 2

By Stephen Johnson - Posted Sep 07, 2010

E3 2010 Conduit 2

What We Know:
The sequel to the sharp-looking Wii shooter picks up immediately after the events of the previous game. Protagonist Michael Ford emerges from the conduit he entered at the end of the last game, and finds himself on an oil derrick in an unknown location being fired upon by suspiciously well-armed guards.

What We're Seeing Now:

Trying to make a Wii equivalent to a hardcore shooter is a pretty high bar to clear, so The Conduit's problems can be forgiven. It wasn't a perfect game, but it was a promising game, an ambitious game. In other words: Ripe for a sequel. Although it's hard to tell definitively from the Conduit 2 pre-Alpha level playthrough and boss battle I enjoyed at Pax 2010, Sega seems aware of the problems that plagued the first game, and is taking steps to correct them, while leaving in the things gamers liked about the first go-round.

Among the improvements of Conduit 2: Iron sights. This is a huge embettering-- you'll be able to pull up your crosshairs on screen to lock in on enemies, and counter the tendency of the Wii-controlled reticule to jump all over the screen. This makes the game feel more like a "real" shooter and less like a high tech game of Duck Hunt. The controls, overall, feel a lot more dialed-in than the controls in the first game. More intuitive and refined.

E3 2010 The Conduit 2 Photos

Another improvement over the original: A cover system. You'll be able to knock over tables, then hide behind them as you peak up and headshot your enemies.

Speaking of enemies, weak AI was one chief complaint from the first game -- bad guys would literally line-up to be murdered at times, or rush directly at you in opposition to all good sense. Although the AI was not complete, baddies did dive behind cover and try not to get shot. Definitely an improvement. The game's developers tell me the AI will be tweaked and improved as Conduit 2 gets closer to completion, so hoepfully we'll have enemies smart enough to be challenging when the game streets.

As for the look of the game, it's amazing. The Wii's graphics are being pushed to their limit here, but not at the expense of playability. What I saw was smooth, with no noticeable slowdown or framerate drops. It looks better than the first game, with an expanded color palate, and some impressive lighting effects.

E3 2010 The Conduit 2 Photos

My demo ended with a boss battle. A Leviathan rises from the ocean to attack the oil derrick where your player stands, and you must man turrets to send it back to the briny deep. Pretty typical stuff, but the sea monster looked impressive, with nice animation and a good sense of scale (that thing is big!).

Sadly, I didn't have a chance to play the game's multiplayer, although online is a big focus of the finished product.

Overall, Conduit 2 looks very promising, and may ultimately prove the must-buy game for fans of shooters who prefer the Nintendo Wii...assuming that those people actually exist.

• Sinalve

This is the kind of audience that Nintendo wanted when they made the Wiimote (my nickname for the Wii remote control, take it or leave it) with a trigger shaped B button. What is sad is that it took 2 years after it's delivery for people to actually take notice of this fact. That said, The Conduit was most likely a domino that actually got more developers interested in the idea of a Wii fps as apposed to a remake of an arcade shooter. It's only natural that they would make a sequal. I just hope they stay true to the original story.

Posted: November 17, 2010 4:52 PM
  • GordonFreemonster0

I kinda looking foward to this. Yes I have a Xbox 360 but that dosent stop me from playing some good games on the Wii.

Posted: November 17, 2010 8:15 AM
    GordonFreemonster0
  • H_G_P_Wellscraft

I absolutely loved the first game and still play it quite often. The multi-player online is very nice to. I Play Halo on my big brothers 360 and Resistence on my little brothers PS3 and i can honestly say that even if i owned all three systems i would still play TCon (especially online) I can't wait for the sequel! :D

Posted: November 4, 2010 1:09 PM
  • Ashley_Si

this is still the newest article on the wii page, a month old and news gained from e3. time for something new, anything new would be nice, unless you are all still playing halo, don't know why same as the last 4 looks a bit better and you could have beaten the story in a day.

Posted: October 8, 2010 9:24 AM
    Ashley_Si
  • XtraCrunchy

I've read this twice so can you guys please make a video review.

Posted: October 4, 2010 6:30 PM
    XtraCrunchy
  • mohawk3000

LOOKIN GOOD

Posted: September 30, 2010 2:19 AM
    mohawk3000
  • Catman789

"...assuming that those people actually exist" would you shut up? there are tons of people that play wii, and a lot of them are hardcore. its like saying who the damm is gonna buy viva pinata, banjo kazooie, limbo, and ratchet and clank. all of those games look boring

Posted: September 29, 2010 2:21 PM
    Catman789
  • humanscum

sick i just finished the frist one so im redy for this one frist one was hard for at lest so ya this is going to be kool

Posted: September 29, 2010 2:53 AM
    humanscum
  • Jediboggs

It was like pulling teeth just to get through the first one I was so bored! This one is going to suck twice as much Deku nuts! The AI was so bad. I cannot play this crap. I am a Nintendo fanboy and I am so ashamed to even have to pick junk like this out at Gamestop because its getting reviews from IGN like"best shooter on the Wii" what-- Dude Metroid prime blows doors off of a schwaag game like this. Its hurting Nintendo's reputation to let lame stuff like this to hit the store! plus IGN and all these others who are giving out false reviews.........

Posted: September 28, 2010 8:01 PM
    Jediboggs
  • Chipsthe1st

FINALLY! I can finally say this: "Hmm.....a game worth dusting my Wii off for.." HAH!

Anyway, I have much expectations for this game. I liked the first game (but at the time, I didn't have a PS3). As soon as I beat Story Mode, I said, ".......the ending's too open. I know a sequel's in the making." And I was kinda ecstatic to wonder what was in the making for the next game. (Btw, I was one that reserved it and got the "Exclusive" Edition). This was also the game that got me into FPS, but anyway!

The multiplayer is what I'm curious about, because the previous was soo laggy online, especially with WiiSpeak; and then, when I "rented" it again from GameStop, the hackers killed it for me. So I expect to hear ALOT of good stuff with this game from X-Play, and then, hear that NO hackers are gonna ruin the game, ever. Shoot, since Big N isn't doing much about it, it's all on High Voltage to fix the problem.

Posted: September 15, 2010 2:01 AM
  • XtraCrunchy

I liked the first one unlike most people and the bounty hunter mode online was great. The first game wasn't bad, but not amazing either, very average. All the last one needed was a little push to become great and this sequel seems to be giving it just that, with a headphone, online coop, local play and a more modern take on single, plus a literally awesome character customization feature for online this may be one of the top 40 shooters of the new millennium. Plus it's a very beautiful game, for the wii.

Posted: September 14, 2010 3:14 PM

humanscum
  • Shadow_ben_jamin

Lookin great!

Posted: September 12, 2010 9:05 PM
    Shadow_ben_jamin
  • Catman789

change the release date please

Posted: September 12, 2010 1:57 PM
    Catman789
  • Geo_Chronic

After this launches, and The Grinder finds a publisher, they just might.

Posted: September 12, 2010 9:42 AM
    Geo_Chronic
  • Catman789

god reading all of these comments, i felt inspired. i thought i was the only wii fanboy. the wii has potential, but everyones too blind and careless to see it. im really bad at expressing what i feel the wii's position, what it can do, etc but i feel just the same as every other comment here i read. i hope HVS starts some sort of wii uprising

Posted: September 11, 2010 10:12 PM
    Catman789
  • Ozl

Excellent news, im waiting for a better Conduit game, and i hope Sega and High Voltage do it excellent this time!

Posted: September 9, 2010 10:18 PM
  • Blue_Vortex

The box art looks better than the last. I mean the first game looked like some generic shooter, this one seems more enticing. And yes box art can help sell a game when their isn't enough advertisement (or not the best advertisement) for a game.

Posted: September 8, 2010 6:16 AM
    Blue_Vortex
  • MasterOfWeed

Come on Nintendo you have so much potential BRING ON THE Wii HD I'm tired of these slightly better than PS2 graphics on these cool looking games.

Posted: September 8, 2010 3:08 AM