The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Wii

• Publisher: Nintendo
  • Genre:Action, Adventure
  • Developer: Nintendo
  • Release Date:Nov 20, 2011
  • # of Players:1 player
  • ESRB:E10+ - Everyone 10+ (Animated Blood, Comic Mischief, Fantasy Violence)
  • Platforms:
Game Description: The next installment of the venerable adventure franchise promises to be a fresh and exciting take on Link's adventures in Hyrule.
G4TV Rating
4 / 5
  • Avg User Rating
    (543 Ratings)
    4.8 / 5
  • Rate This Game
E3 2010: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Preview
Article_71054

E3 2010: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Preview

By Kevin Kelly - Posted Jun 16, 2010

So by now you've heard the news that Zelda is returning to the Wii in the form of The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, and this time Link is bringing MotionPlus with him. Shiggy Miyamoto  himself took to the stage this morning to show us how the game works, but he was hindered by techno-interference, and things didn't work well as he (and the entire Nintendo marketing team) would have liked. Or was he covering for sucky controls? We wanted to find out for ourselves.

So what do you want first? The good news, or the bad news? Tough, we're giving you the good news first. I know, that means there's bad news coming later. But, you'll be able to deal with it. Why? Because the good news is that this game is a lot of fun. They weren't revealing the story yet (sharp-eyed clue snoopers might be able to find a hint in the concept art released last year), but they did let us loose in a small area so we could drive Link around.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

The controls aren't that complicated, but they do take some getting used to. Here are the basics: shake the nunchuck to pull out your shield and sword and hold them at the ready, and wave your MotionPlus enabled Wiimote around for 1:1 sword action (more on that in a second). Link can slash up, down, diagonally, and all that jazz, and you can even hold your sword triumphantly aloft.

Hit the Z button on the nunchuck to lock on to enemies, make Link walk with the thumbstick, and use the A button to pull up an inventory wheel of different items to use (hit the plus button to drink health potions) like Link's bow, slingshot, bomb, and other necessities. There's even a beetle you can launch off of your arm as a sort of ROV, he can fetch small items for you. The A button is contextual when you're locked on to something, allowing you to roll and dodge, or when you're not locked on it's a dash button.

But the two real important things to remember here are: waggle your nunchuck to shield bash, and flail your Wiimote around to chop and stab things. There's a lot of stabbing and chopping in this game, so it's important to remember this. You also have to chop things in a certain manner: giant Link-eating plants that erupt from the ground have to be sliced according to how their mouths open (some open horizontally, some vertically).

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Link can power up his sword if you stay still for a moment (you'll see a shine indicating that it's ready to go). You can also swing both the nunchuck and the Wiimote straight down together to launch Link into a flip attack, or swing them both to one side for a spinning attack.

Some characters are smart enough to block your sword, so you have to figure out how to fake them out, and others still launch projectile attacks that can be bounced back at them. Smaller enemies, like pesky spiders, can be taken out with the slingshot, but you'll really want the sword to deal with the larger baddies. Especially since things like the whip just end up pissing them off.

Summing up: Skyward Sword is fun. It's innovative, adorably cute (even when a giant enemy scorpion is killing you), and will definitely be a must buy title. So what's the bad news? The bad news is that the sword control can be wonky. It's definitely not 1:1, as promised, and there were times when I definitely felt like things were off the rails. My arm would be in the right place, but Link's arm would be pointing way off to the right, John Travolta-style.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Is that enough to kill my interested in a beloved title that's still in the works? Heck no. Neither are some of the other small frustrations, like the fact that Link can't jump all the time. Or that you have to sometimes just wander up to something in order to figure out you can climb on it. Or hurdle it. Or play with it, or what have you. I'm willing to overlook all of that (if they swear they're fixing it) because it's brand-new Zelda. Finally.

• Pokemon_Guy

I can't wait for this game! I really love the Zelda games.

Posted: January 11, 2011 6:14 PM
  • thesupercoo

i wish that one day Nintendo will go out of business and sell there games to Microsoft so that we could play these game on 360 because the Wii is kinda gay

Posted: December 23, 2010 2:29 PM
    thesupercoo
  • Smasher122

Looks pretty amazing. I just read that the environment in the demo won't be in the final version. They should work on the motion controls a little bit more. I think the bow mechanics should go back to TP, cuz those worked very well. The graphics look very nice, but they need some more detail. But they've got six more months, plenty of time to tweak those stuff. Definitely getting first day.

Posted: July 9, 2010 3:53 PM
    Smasher122
  • link12345422

Wait is any of links former frinds from the past games going to be in this one like Midna or navi people like that.

ohh and will zelda have a sheik and the sheikahs thing goin on agin cuz that was anoing(navi was to).

Posted: July 7, 2010 2:26 PM
    link12345422
  • link12345422

Is the almost traditional darklink going to be in this one or some sort of shadow link?

Also i can tell this is going to be a huge step in the zelda seriese!

Posted: July 7, 2010 2:19 PM
    link12345422
  • Alzecha

To everyone who is concerned about the right handed/left handed issue: You have the option to pick which hand link uses his sword with at the beginning of the game. This has been confirmed, so no worries.

Posted: June 30, 2010 1:54 PM
  • wfrodabaugh

I'm personally excited about this. Its as if Twilight Princess, and Wind Waker had a baby. Lets hope this baby grows to be just as good as its predecessors.

Posted: June 29, 2010 8:38 PM
  • VxFreakOutxV

it looks as if there useing some of the colors and texturs that were in wind waker

Posted: June 18, 2010 7:50 AM
    VxFreakOutxV
  • yUsoOBSESSEDwithME

I love it. when it gets released my mom will be nagging at me for making war cry noises in the night.

Posted: June 17, 2010 4:50 PM
  • yUsoOBSESSEDwithME

Posted: June 17, 2010 4:49 PM
  • frankurban

not really digging the look. I loved windwaker's style, and really liked twilight princess, but mixing them together like this is a little weird.

Posted: June 16, 2010 8:49 PM
    frankurban
  • TMW001

Well I know I am really looking forward to this next year I could care less of the graphics and I am a little concerned over him being a righty but I am a righty myself but I guess it dosen't really matter do to the fact if I swing the remote he'll still swing his sword.

Posted: June 16, 2010 7:33 PM
    TMW001
  • Connor53

To be totally honest I was really unimpressed. I loved Twilight Princess and I think they should be building on that. The graphics on SS seem like a step backward. I know it's a special sort of art style, but lets face it, it looks like it was made for the N64.

Posted: June 16, 2010 6:13 PM
    Connor53
  • RockieOllie

Still bumed out by the art style but i'll live

Posted: June 16, 2010 6:06 PM
    RockieOllie
  • jayislost

I thought the B button brought up your inventory?

Anyhow, awesome write up. Totally stoked to see more of this game.

Posted: June 16, 2010 3:56 PM
    jayislost
  • spartan_24_KTL

i like it i t has a mixture of little link to adult link
    plus it looks marvelous with the bright colors and texture of it

Posted: June 16, 2010 3:50 PM
    spartan_24_KTL
  • spartan_24_KTL

i like it i t has a mixture of little link to adult link
    plus it looks marvelous with the bright colors and texture of it

Posted: June 16, 2010 3:45 PM
    spartan_24_KTL
  • Shiztacular

Hearing that they weren't 1:1 has me a lil nervous... But it being Zelda i'm sure itll be all polished up and another amazing installment. Zelda ftw

Posted: June 16, 2010 3:37 PM
    Shiztacular
  • EFle

this is way too cute, really disappointed after how cool Twilight Princess was. Really disappointed.

Posted: June 16, 2010 3:15 PM
  • twrexx

looks like another winner for the Zelda franchise, and Nintendo. Control issues being fixed as we hope they will, this should be a fine installment. That being said, I need to know more---what sets it apart? What is innovative and new?I dont see anything groundbreaking here, just some spit and polish on established designs and methods--and they as aformentioned arent yet completely refined. Give me something totally new here, something the fans dont see coming. I know they didnt show us alot, so here's to hoping that there is plenty to put rupees in my eyes come December.

Posted: June 16, 2010 12:38 PM