Metroid: Other M - Wii

Game Description: Metroid: Other M is Ninja Gaiden developer Team Ninja's take on one of gaming's most beloved franchises for this all new Metroid installment. Mixing third-person and first-person action, this highly polished take on the Metroid universe promises plenty of action, classic platforming, and a striking visual style. The Samus mythology is extended in Metroid: Other M.
G4TV Rating
2 / 5
  • Avg User Rating
    (104 Ratings)
    3.9 / 5
  • Rate This Game
Metroid: Other M Preview
Article_70018

Metroid: Other M Preview

By Abbie Heppe - Posted Feb 25, 2010

Metroid Other M

Metroid: Other M has piqued my curiosity more than most upcoming games. I love the franchise, but I’m bewildered at the seemingly odd marriage of Team Ninja and Nintendo. I asked about the origin, and will shamefully toss to the interview that will soon be on X-Play, but it appears it was born "in the depths of Japan," so for now I will focus on my more tangible experience with the game.

The verdict on Other M is still out. I played through the beginning of the game, and the amount of exposition and character for Samus is both fascinating and frightening. For a character whose biggest reveal previously was that she is a woman, it is almost mind-boggling to compare the character that Samus is for me with the character Samus is to Sakamoto, the creator of the series.

She seems detached, but her voice is almost timid and more feminine than I had imagined. Perhaps that assessment is unfair, having recently completed Mass Effect 2 and grown accustomed to my very badass (but very Paragon) Captain Shepard. As much as Samus has become a part of my gaming life, she is not me nor mine to own or describe; she has always been compellingly mysterious. Hopefully we won't see too much sexualization of the character (it has to be mentioned, given Team Ninja's catalog) but again, it incredible to see her fleshed out into something...human.

Metroid Other M

Gameplay wise, Metroid: Other M finds a home between the classic 2D style and the first-person re-imagining of Metroid Prime. Almost ironically, so does the story. It's feels almost like a game made after its time, falling between Fusion (if your memory and knowledge of the series is on par, you'll recognize one very important character, Adam Malkovich, right away) and Prime. It feels as if it *should* have been made between the two, to bridge players into a very different experience in the first-person milieu.

Post-destruction of the Mother Brain, Samus finds herself back in action and following a distress signal, nicknamed "a baby's cry" (get it? like the baby Metroid that gave its life...maybe?) and discovers that the crew currently investigating the signal is none other than her compatriots and former captain in the Galactic Federation before she became a bounty hunter. It's clear that she and Adam have a history, but well, some things are yet to be revealed.

While the stripping of Samus' power's seems extremely artificial in this iteration (it appears due to taking orders from Adam), the core of Metroid gameplay is definitely at home here. The other element that bothered me (and may have been due to the set up of the sensor bar) is switching to the first-person view (by pointing the Wii remote at the screen) yet it is necessary for using missiles and scanning objects. It just feels like a halt to the flow of the game and can be frustrating during more chaotic action sequences. There is a clear change to combat with close-quarters action at play here, Samus performs melee combat  moves like leaping on an enemy’s back and putting a beam shot through his/her head, and more. It's very Team Ninja, but I wasn't clear on how much of the melee I was doing rather than the game doing it for me. Felt like the latter.

Metroid Other M

I associate the Metroid games with a feeling of loneliness, so it was a surprise to interact with people as much as I did in the short demo I played. Clearly, there are secrets about this game (abilities, plot, etc.) but it is nonetheless clearly a brainchild of two different teams, and my curiosity has me itching to know more. Will the exploration factor of Prime come into play more? Will there be new weaponry or abilities? Will I lose the crew I seem to be currently tied to? Where can I find Ridley? I don't know, but I am excited to find out as much as I am innately frightened to see Samus and Other M reveal what has always been a private mythology in my head. I'm fascinated but as I mentioned earlier, I need to see more.

• metroidhunter60893

regrebably to say that mom has ben pushed back to aug. 31 hopefuly it will be out befor then i am so psych for this game
    i also read that the power suit, Varia Suit, power beam, charge beam, missiles(obviously), Speed booster, Morph Ball (obviously), ice beam, bombs, powerbombs, 5 bomb drop, scan visor, and melee moves will be in the game
    STORY WISE: the game begins with a cinematic detaling the battle with moter brain during Super Metroid. After escapting the explodinge of Zebes, Samus a wakens frome the dream on a GF ship. After leaving, she receives a distress call from a domant Bottle Ship. which is floting a shord distence away from a Federation vessel. Upon stepping into the ship, Samus encounters a group of GF soldiers, led by Anthony Higgs, Who fough alongside her before she defected from the Federation. She also finds Commander Malkovich, Who used to be Her CO when she was in the Federation Army.Something happednd that caused Samus to leave the army, causing addom to be standoffish and guarded, calling Samus and "outsider" and ordering his team not to reveal any details of their mossion to her. However, after defeating a large purple creature, samus is welcomed onto the team and briefed on the details of their misssion. thay all split up to explore different parts of the ship, in hopes of discovering the threat and thay are up against.

Posted: June 10, 2010 5:51 PM
    metroidhunter60893
  • V_Jay_2007

Team Ninja better not give Samus a princess persona,or jiggle crap they did for DOA. If the jiggle crap happens I'm going to Team Ninja HQ and kicking their asses. And hopefully all the bugs are worked out come in June.

Posted: April 9, 2010 12:15 PM
  • Palefaced1

Prime brought back Metroid for me personally. Wonderful game. Played it for hours. I can't wait to see what Team Ninja can bring to the table. Ninja Gaiden rocks. Both of them. Should be awesome. Finally Nintendo owners have a hardcore game to play. Speaking of which, I might have to get a Wii now. lol

Posted: March 9, 2010 7:44 PM
    Palefaced1
  • SirValor1177

Remember Me?

Posted: March 1, 2010 11:35 AM
    SirValor1177
  • GamebustaZX

yes something to buy for my Wii lol I anit turn that thing on senes November lol I been just playin my PS3 and Xbox 360

Posted: March 1, 2010 10:35 AM
    GamebustaZX
  • jlark23

nintendo needs to grow some balls already

Posted: March 1, 2010 5:20 AM
    jlark23
  • jlark23

IM STIIL A OLD SCHOOL METROID AND ZELDA FAN ITS A SHAME THE TWO BEST GAMES FOR NINTENDO IS ALL THEY HAVE I BELIEVE

Posted: March 1, 2010 4:04 AM
    jlark23
  • 6R39

i dont think that looks animeish at all. if it does maybe thats how they always intended it to look. Ive played some past Metroids but i dont own a wii. soo if i am some how able to play this game im gonna try to play through the whole thing and maybe regain some fond memories of the past.

Posted: February 28, 2010 8:58 PM
    6R39
  • STCook

why are people so worried about what team ninja will do to samus outside of her suit? this is still nintendo we are talking about people! they will never allow team ninja to sex up one of their characters.

Posted: February 28, 2010 7:39 PM
    STCook
  • tyler4307

i think it looks amazing. my only worry is with team ninja working on this one i fear exploration likely will be given a backseat to the action. hopefully they balance the two out well.

Posted: February 28, 2010 7:06 PM
    tyler4307
  • marcushawk

Abbie Herpie annoys the piss out of me.

Posted: February 28, 2010 6:43 PM
    marcushawk
  • power-o-pwn

The control scheme sounds confusing and if it doesn't have classic metroid puzzles it will suck but I'm glad there actually turning her into a real character metroid fusion was really the only metroid game that had anywhere near a storyline and I'm glad with a game genre like metroid hopefully this will be real good.

Posted: February 28, 2010 1:18 PM
    power-o-pwn
  • A_Can

People are complaing about how they don't want Samus being strong, smart, and witty because its a little cliched. While I could definitly see her as someone who was a no-nonsene person, or as someone who is shy/a loner in the sense as in emotionally disturbed from the stuff shes seen or done. She is still going to be smart on acount of scanning numerous things and operating a ton of mechanicle stuff, and growing up with a highly advanced race. I'd also like to add that you probably wouldn't be the one of the best bounty hunters out there if you were a push-over mentally or physically (if thats what you mean by strong). And thats my spin on things.

Posted: February 28, 2010 11:06 AM
    A_Can
  • Nathiest

I watched it with no sound so my guess is.. she's a lesbian.

Posted: February 28, 2010 8:30 AM
    Nathiest
  • STCook

i think the move to involve team ninja in this will be good and bad at the same. team ninja is obviously gonna add more of a story to this game that players learn throughout the game than any previous metroid installment which is a good thing. it will definitely bring in different players who dont know much about the metroid series. but the downside is that the new style of game play that team ninja incorporates may take away from some of the more hardcore fans of the series.

either way it will be interesting to see how this game plays out in the months ahead.

Posted: February 28, 2010 3:01 AM
    STCook
  • jazBuddha

I have not seen the game in completion, and I am willing to give Team Ninja the benefit of the doupt, but from what I can see here it is hard not to have doupts. 1) Team Ninja has made a lot of money off of games that exploit the female sexuality and have helped coined the term "breast physics", therefore they know all too well that sex sells. 2) Looking at the stills above of Samus without her armer you can see that her anatamy is a bit off, her chest is far too large for her slender form, and it seems she has no ribcage at all, at least with the zero suit samus encarnations she was anatomically acurate but it apears something has been squewed here and it worries me. All that said I am very excited to play a metroid game on my wii without having to plug in an old gamecube controller.

Posted: February 26, 2010 8:08 PM
    jazBuddha
  • StarWars_Enigma

@MUN-CHI

You need to just shut up, right now. You are just embarrassing yourself. Maybe you should actually wait and play the game, like everyone else, before you go and bad mouth the crap out of it. Idiot, why do poeple like you pollute this Earth?

Posted: February 26, 2010 12:42 PM
    StarWars_Enigma
  • dantastic4

I just think these comments made by fanboy are just completely ridiculous.Do people really think that Team Ninja's gonna put Samus in thong and pasties.Then have her do sexy poses and whip out a sword three times bigger than her body.Thats like saying if Epic were to make this game instead.Samus would wear a bandanna on top of her head and start throwing out F-bombs at any given chance and have a run and battle with a bunch ape like aliens.To base what a team of developers have done in the past on current project is completely foolish.People should give Team Ninja the benfit of a dought and stop being so sinicule.Heck I would even give Epic a benfit of a dought on a project like this.

Posted: February 26, 2010 8:35 AM
    dantastic4
  • jazBuddha

when you look at what Team Ninja has produced in the past (the dead or alive franchise, and ninja gaiden) It's frightening to think they have their hands on one of the most beloved female charecters of all time. The most frightening aspect is that theres a lot of mystery behind Samus' personality leaving quite a bit they can ruine here. another thing that should be mentioned is that the original developers were Rare Entertainment, an american company, and now we are passing it on to a company like Team Ninja who is distinctly Japanese (who's most successful series to date is a bit overtly sexist).

I'm a guy and I think it says a lot when I fear that this charecter will be reduced to playing volley ball in a bikini.

Posted: February 26, 2010 5:00 AM
    jazBuddha
  • azrael1981

Im glad that abbie got the chance to review the preview.she gets so excited when she talks about metroid that i could see she loves the games as much as me.im also a little worried for this game specially the control scheme.still,cant wait!

Posted: February 26, 2010 12:19 AM