Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception - PS3

Game Description: Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, the third installment in Naughty Dog's acclaimed adventure series finds Drake searching for a lost city in the Arabian Peninsula. New features in Uncharted 3 will include "enhanced backward climbing" and the ability to fight multiple enemies at once.
G4TV Rating
4 / 5
  • Avg User Rating
    (108 Ratings)
    4.6 / 5
  • Rate This Game
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception Multiplayer Beta Impressions
Article_74930

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception Multiplayer Beta Impressions

By G4 Staff - Posted Jul 04, 2011

At this very moment, hundreds upon hundreds of prospective treasure hunters are squaring off in round after round of explosive and acrobatic combat in the multiplayer beta for Naughty Dog’s absurdly anticipated follow up to last year’s game of the year, Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception. The beta kicked off early last week, and, like any self-respecting Drake-head, some of the G4 staffers have spent some time with the new and improved multiplayer portion of Drake and Sully’s latest adventure, and here’s some of our initial impressions on the two maps and five modes included in the beta’s first round. (There will be two more rounds over the coming weeks that will introduce four more modes and a new map, so expect updated impressions when that content becomes available.)

Leah Jackson: I was extremely and pleasantly surprised at the Airstrip multiplayer level’s opening. I’d describe it as next-gen Frogger, and man was that awesome. You had to either defend a plane from being boarded or try to jump on top of the plane while riding on a speeding jeep. It’s fun to see innovative mechanics used in games, especially in the multiplayer where you’re going to be spending a good chunk of your time. The second half of the airplane level was standard multiplayer fare, as was the Chateau level. Climbing up the sides of buildings using bricks was fun, but nothing that I’d say was very memorable. I wish that the first half of the airship part was the entire level. If those are just two maps, I’m excited for what else is in store if Naughty Dog continues to innovate via the Airship level and doesn't go down the Chateau level’s path.

Stephen Johnson: How come I shot that guy in the head like 75 times and he didn’t die, then he turned around and fired a single bullet into my skull and I died? Answer that one, Jake Gaskill.

Also: I liked climbing around like a damn monkey. Also: if you were wondering who it was who just stayed camped behind the turret the entire match, firing a machine gun wildly, that was me. And I don’t appreciate your attempts to unseat me from my perch.

In summation, Uncharted 3’s multiplayer beta is fun.

Jake Gaskill: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves was the game that convinced me to get a PS3, and while I loved the hell out of the single-player, I never got around to investing any time in the multiplayer, so I can’t really speak to how Uncharted 3’s MP compares to Uncharted 2’s, but what I can tell you is that I’m thoroughly enjoying myself thus far. As a lot of people have said, the airplane chase at the beginning of the Airstrip map is spectacular, and I would have been happy having that be the entire map. There are just so many moving parts, and engaging in shootouts while leaping between trucks and blasting dudes out of the cargo hold with a perfectly placed grenade never ceases to bring a smile to my face.

(This map also got me thinking that I would kill to have a map set on a speeding train, with one team defending the engine and the other team trying to blow it up. Would have been more appropriate in Uncharted 2, but I wouldn’t complain.)

While the rest of Airstrip and Chateau aren’t as thrilling as the plane chase, they still offer plenty of opportunities for all manner of mayhem. The climbing has some quirks when it comes to certain ledges and certain angles, but for the most part, it’s just as fast and fluid as ever. In fact, there was a moment where I popped a dude, leapt through a nearby hole in the wall, dodged incoming fire, hopped up to a roof, jumped to an adjoining ledge, tossed a grenade behind me at pursuing enemies, and bolted from the scene of the crime in a matter of seconds and without a hiccup. As I was catching my breath, all I could think was, “Umm...Is this Uncharted or Brink?” And I mean that in the best way possible.

There are some issues that still need to be ironed out, like hit damage. There have been countless occasions where the only part of an enemy that was exposed was their head, and I would unload half of a clip into them, only to be killed by a single shot to the head. It also regularly takes almost an entire clip from pointblank range to bring people down, which is just absurd, especially given that no one has body armor of any kind. Grenades also vacillate between being way too powerful or not powerful enough. Sometimes an enemy would be right next to one and only stumble, while I’d be blown to hell from several feet away.  But that’s the kind of tuning that betas are designed for, so I’m not terrible concerned about it being an issue at this point, especially since, overall, I’m having an absolute blast with multiplayer, and I can’t wait to see the other modes and maps in action.

Uncharted 3

Eric Eckstein: I made a special effort to finish Uncharted 2 before taking a peek at the Uncharted 3 multiplayer beta. I knew it wasn't a story-based demo, but I'm a completionist and needed to pay my dues. Unfortunately, despite my best attempts at playing UC2 multiplayer, I was thwarted by updates barring entry so I could compare the UC3 beta to the previous game. Either way, the current beta more than makes up for those difficulties...when it's working.

This is a true beta, and far from a final product, so make sure you're up for technical as well as game balance issues. Otherwise, you're bound to be frustrated by the game. If you can get over that hump, a very fun game waits for you that plays differently than the current crop of shooters.

While only two basic game types (Deathmatch and its variants, and Co-Op) exists on two different maps, there still is a lot of value inside. In Deathmatch, there's a new buddy system which partners you with another player, rewarding you both if you take down an enemy together and make the time to High Five each other over the corpse. This needs a bit of tuning, as way too many times my partner and I struggled to find the right hotspot to high-five instead of getting mowed down by enemies. Rewards come in cash for leveling your rank and medals, which deliver "Kickbacks" that trigger special abilities like vanishing in a smoke cloud or spawning with a RPG. My favorite is the Creepy Crawlie kickback, which transforms you into a horde of insects that devour anything in their path. You have to be really good or get extremely lucky though to trigger that one, as it requires 17 medals before you can even trigger it.

That's one of the problems with the current beta, as the kill counts are set too low for the competitive multiplayer game. The efforts you need to go through to find a suitable playable game are rough, so to get dumped so quickly is a bit of an annoyance. However, the maps are really a blast between the assault on the cargo plane on the backs of trucks in Airplane or the zipline takedowns on the Chateau. It definitely makes me hungry for more maps when the full game comes out if this is the bar set for multiplayer.

I'll leave off my impressions with one tip: Level up through Co-Op Arena, and when you get to Gold Rush, don't return the chest. Yes, you'll end up "failing" the mission, but Gold Rush produces endless soldiers for you to kill, and you can acquire a ton of cash and medals. I was averaging a minimum of 2 ranks per mission just from this, which was far less than what I could earn in Deathmatch. Happy Hunting!

• ice_cube_1998

really fun, except it feels like sometimes i shoot som1 in the back a whole round and they dont die but then they turn around and kill me with the pistol with a few shots!!! its not my internet ( high speed, thank u very much) i dnt know its just frustratng BUT fun.

Posted: July 24, 2011 9:34 AM
    ice_cube_1998
  • itsducey

Personally, I love the beta. Its an action platformer, not a FPS and I don't try and treat it as such. There are valid criticisms regarding traversing the map and kill box detection but I think if you change the health and bullet damage you change the game and it one long remains fun. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. Its fun and just needs some tweaking

Posted: July 15, 2011 11:46 AM
    itsducey
  • Jag23

Needs to fix some things but still fun. And for those of you who aren't getting the game just because of the MP, you are dumb. Remember what made the series fun in the first place, the single player. I would still get it even if there wasn't MP, just because the story is so fun.

Posted: July 12, 2011 10:57 AM
    Jag23
  • HeadBusta

The Beta is fun, but as someone new to the series I'm not finding this as captivating as others are proclaiming. I do agree about the airstrip part though. Definitely needs more sauce like that.

Posted: July 11, 2011 12:53 PM
    HeadBusta
  • optimusx

Why can't I spawn on on my buddy during the cargo plane section of Airfield?

Posted: July 9, 2011 2:17 PM
    optimusx
  • L1V3_2_W1N

Wow to think I used to think G4 was pro haha boy was I a noob or what. except Adam, Adam IS pro. lol

Posted: July 9, 2011 6:28 AM
    L1V3_2_W1N
  • A.U.S.T.I.N.

i love it! i cant wait to play on yemen! im getting this the day it comes out, the wall attacks could use some work though, i haven't gotten a pull down medal in ages...

Posted: July 8, 2011 11:53 AM
    A.U.S.T.I.N.
  • Geriden

havent played it in a few days found it very bland and under whelming, i cant seem to grasp why so many people are talking about it like its the best thing since sliced bread, from my experience ( in eu here) the game's were laggy the controls and movement are atrocious it really does feel like im playing some type of truck diving game. The weapons are boring the booster system is boring nothing interesting about it what so ever. the sprint system is pointless might as well cut that out. The weapons audio is bleh the maps were nothing special except the start of the run way map. The mechanics on climbing and jumping and latching on to things really needs work but its a beta so all of the above will hopefully be ironed out soon.

also i find the way you unlock custome items overly dragged out the interface is awfull its a pain just trying to find what you need armor parts if you even can ? i couldnt find it anywhere, and the models and animation were ok, the melee combat is awfull !

They have a lot of work to do !

Posted: July 8, 2011 7:31 AM
    Geriden
  • Clemstrup

Wauhhhhhhh this was first time when I really felt amused being a dude together with some other guys and have a lot of fun. Amused in a way that games are suposed to be entertainment when it is best .
    Looking forward to see what the new maps will show.
    All power to fantasy
    clemstrup

Posted: July 8, 2011 3:24 AM
    Clemstrup
  • Snizzlewiz

I like UC3 so far, but as always betas have there quirks. I can see some of the more dedicated Uncharted players liking the more health aspect, I personally can get a little frustrated by it, but as mentioned before its there to keep the core gameplay aspects intact. Ofcourse this isn't set out to be a realistic first/third person tactical shooter, but more of a fun, action-packed third person shooter. I think it would be great if they added a hardcore game mode with less health to widen the player spectrum or something in that manner (besides the no-booster rule) while still retaining the classic UC gameplay that many enjoy. Alot of neat features such as the UC TV and buddy system. I really hope Naughty Dog keeps the Uncharted experience unique and fun for its players.

Posted: July 7, 2011 9:48 PM
    Snizzlewiz
  • cutoffslim

This game is amazing even in the beta! Im really disappointed to know that these G4 gamers are not too familiar with the MP on Uncharted 2 though...... It really makes me think twice about you guys's opinions on games knowing that even great ones get missed by you. Anyways, the bullet damage is a beautiful thing on here due to the fact that it gives you the opportunity to climb,jump,or run away while still being shot. The matches are soooo much more fun not dropping like flies everytime a gun battle ensues. The only people who are complaining about it, is FPS/CoD fans who are looking for an auto lock and 1 shot kills. OH! And Steven Johnson, the gun that blew your brains all over the floor with one shot is called a pistole!

Posted: July 5, 2011 6:44 PM
  • Reese8732

Uncharted hit detection has always been one of the things that made it different and as someone who has both systems is a lot like Gears except that the people doesn't slow down as he's getting hit. The beta is wonderful as it does make U2 multiplayer feels like it was tacked on. It just felt more thought out, and if this is going to be a sign of how the new Assassins Creed multiplayer will be then I'm all for it. There are things to complain about but most has already been address above, and this is only a beta. A beta to a game that is 4 months away from launch. Naughty Dog has been one of my fav developers going back to the PS1 and PS2 with Crash Badicoot and Hal and Daxter, and they once again bring it home with this series.

Posted: July 5, 2011 6:30 PM
    Reese8732
  • cwbys21

my only gripes are it takes way to long to find a match, even longer than Uncharted 2, which I didn't think was possible. also, in between matches takes forever, you already have a full group and yet it still has that finding players.... screen going and then it has to wait to vote, then vote, then wait to load into the game and just takes way to long.

Posted: July 5, 2011 11:37 AM
    cwbys21
  • bigpeewee10

I like this game a lot but just needs a little work with the climbing and the hand to hand combat and it keeps freezing up at the screen where it says finding players about every two or three games or so then i have to restart the system. But other than that it is great i am going to buy it hopefully they fix the issues. Great job naughty dog

Posted: July 5, 2011 10:59 AM
  • Stu_Ark

'bullet damage bullet damage' This isnt Cod. so gtfo.

Been having a lot of fun with it this past week, i just hope theres more character customization in the final release, also been having trouble with the pump action shotgun, takes too long to pump, so i miss my first shot then im dead. bit annoying.

Posted: July 5, 2011 9:33 AM
  • ButtercakeSnipa

Im really enjoying this game. At first it was weird to play because it felt different from Uncharted 2 but this is better. I like that the recoil fells real and you cant just spray an ak 47 across the map like in real life. Nice job on the 1up Naughty Dog.

Posted: July 5, 2011 8:46 AM
  • ajk278

This is my first time posting on a G4 broad but I had to express my frustration with this article because it seems like everyone in this article never played Uncharted 2 Multiplayer (Along with everyone else on this broad). Uncharted 2 MP was basically ruined with the 1.05 patch, lowering everyone health. Everyone stopped climbing and using covering because there was no point. You start climbing something but would be dead before you got to the top. I would say climbing and using covering are the two main mechanics of Uncharted. U2 MP just turned into another camp fest twitch shooter.

I was overjoyed to see that the old health system had return in the U3 Beta. I loved seeing people climbing and using cover, playing Uncharted the way it should be played. However, I fear that Naughty Dog will listen to these people and ruin another good experience. Please go to the Naughty Dog Beta Forum and see how many people are begging them not the change the health.

Also, the Airplane part of the Airstrip Map is cool and all, but it is incredibly unfair to the team trying to get on the plane (the enemy team). The Good Guy team just has too much advantage already being on the plane. One time when my team was the Good Guys and we were 15-0 when it ended. Needless to say we won the match.

Posted: July 5, 2011 7:14 AM
    ajk278
  • SonyNmbrOneGuy

I really hope you spoiled CoD kids don't force Naughty Dog to lower player HP. Learn to shoot and don't randomly fire off grenades and that should fix your problem.

It's also amazing that most of the Xplay staff either don't own a PS3 or didn't until Uncharted 2( Late 2009) O.o

Posted: July 5, 2011 6:38 AM
    SonyNmbrOneGuy
  • bloodysilence19

The beta is great, though with a beta comes problem's of course. The only three things still need of fixing the hit detection with head shot, grenade damage, and reducing how many shots it takes to kill someone.

Posted: July 5, 2011 12:02 AM
    bloodysilence19
  • ownthenoob

good game but needs fixing

Posted: July 4, 2011 8:21 PM