SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy SEALs - PS3

Game Description:Building on the success of the multimillion-selling franchise, SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy SEALs delivers the ultimate next-generation combat experience blending rich cinematics, PlayStation Move integration, a robust single-player campaign and industry leading competitive multiplayer exclusively for the PlayStation 3. Experience what it’s like to be an Ops Commander as you lead a 5-person squad in a special mission to discover what’s behind the annihilation of NATO Special Forces in Southeast Asia. Continuing to raise the bar for tactical gaming, SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy SEALs introduces new ways for players to engage in combat. For the first time in franchise history, players will be able to utilize both the PlayStation Move and DUALSHOCK controllers to enable precise, tactical control over their A.I. teammates.
G4TV Rating
4 / 5
  • Avg User Rating
    (21 Ratings)
    4.5 / 5
  • Rate This Game
SOCOM: US Navy SEALs 4 GDC 2010 PlayStation Move Preview
Article_70138

SOCOM: US Navy SEALs 4 GDC 2010 PlayStation Move Preview

By Andrew Pfister - Posted Mar 11, 2010

SOCOM 4

What We Know: The fourth installment in Sony's beloved tactical shooter franchise, SOCOM: US Navy SEALs 4 takes place over six days in which players, and their five-person squad, must fight their way through an overwhelming force of insurgents in a country being torn apart by war. Sony recently revealed that the game will be playable with the new PlayStation Move motion controller, an announcement that took many people, including Andrew Pfister, by surprise.

What We Saw: On my mental list of "Franchises Likely Used to Highlight Sony’s Motion Control As Something Relevant to the Hardcore” the SOCOM series didn’t even make the top 10. Yet here we are, Wednesday of GDC week, and the recently announced SOCOM 4 is being used to highlight Sony’s PlayStation Move as something relevant to the hardcore.

I got to play it for a quick 10 minutes this evening, and came away with a feeling that I’m using to summarize my general thoughts toward Move (as based on today’s initial reveal): it seems to work, but I question if it’s truly necessary.

SOCOM 4 a

To get a sense of how it plays, think of Metroid Prime 3: Corruption or The Conduit. (And yes, that is the first time I’ve ever had to use a Wii FPS as a reference point for a game on the PS3.) On the primary Move controller, you point at the screen to direct your aiming direction; the sub-controller’s analog stick is used for directional movement, strafing in particular. Even though this version of SOCOM 4 is still very much a work-in-progress, the effect was achieved as I ran through the war-torn map.

My primary concern at this stage isn’t with general aiming, as it was easy and natural to get the aiming cursor in the general vicinity of my targets. But getting that precise lock on where I want to shoot proved to be difficult. In other words, I was grateful that the developers turned on "god mode,” because I would have been wiped out in close quarters combat on more than one occasion. It may also require relearning how to play the game, now that controls have been separated to two hands and buttons have been realigned (I had to look down a few times to get my thumb over to the grenade button, for example).

If you’re a diehard SOCOM fan, don’t stress: the game is entirely playable with your Sixaxis or DualShock 3 without having to reprogram your muscle memory. Zipper’s also making some further enhancements in addition to motion control. One I got to see in action was the Command mode that allowed me to call in an air strike on an enemy-held chokepoint. I had to briefly expose myself to enemy fire as the strike call was being sent in, but that’s the risk you have to assume when summoning explosive power.

SOCOM 4 b

But getting back to Move, which was the point of this initial demo, we just need to be patient and wait to see (and play) more. I was initially skeptical about Metroid Prime’s motion controls, but ended up loving them...as did everyone else, given the existence of the Metroid Prime Trilogy boxset. With proper focus testing and calibration options, SOCOM with the Move could actually be pretty cool.

• GaRcHoW

This game looks nothing like Socom.
    No classic view
    lame OTS L1 Zoom
    Health regen
    dedicated grenade button
    no voice commands
    Lack of pre mission lobby
    Story dictated gameplay
    Cover system that kills free leaning, and prone leaning.
    R3 scope zoom instead of D-pad zoom.
    etc. etc.

This game is a Socom imposter, Its Uncharted in Spec Ops clothes. The Ops Comm looks like a GQ model gone Merc. The two bone head SEALs are wearing desert camo in a Jungle AO.

Posted: October 14, 2010 1:59 PM
    GaRcHoW
  • Depalo

MOVE WILL GREAT!!!!!!!! Just give it some time!

Posted: March 19, 2010 11:28 PM
    Depalo
  • Sesslersprodigy

Business is business, the reason they made these controllers is because they thought there was a market for them. A good amount of people including myself will most likely go out and buy at least one set of the move controllers, just have them and use from time to time. Plus, all the people who have the wii's can now afford a ps3 and have a better controller with better graphics and games. Its nice that sony isnt shoving this down your throat saying here you have to use it. The game quality will be just as good because they know that a portion of the ps3 community wont use them. Sony is doing a decent job at keeping the hardcore people (like myself that play mostly shooters) happy and the people who want the move controllers happy.

Posted: March 13, 2010 8:24 PM
    Sesslersprodigy
  • Shadow_ben_jamin

Just like the Wii version (I know the MOVE has A LOT of similarities to the Wii) the MOVE might have the loads of problems from, letting go of the remote and breaking your TV, Possible unresponsive motion controls. This could happen but O well. Wait and See.

Posted: March 13, 2010 5:03 PM
    Shadow_ben_jamin
  • BaronVonWhittico

I think what everyone is forgetting is that it's your CHOICE to play with the Move controller. Pfister even said "don t stress: the game is entirely playable with your Sixaxis or DualShock 3" so really, don't stress. It's just another option.

Sony and Microsoft are just trying to jump on what they think will get them even more fans and you really can't blame them seeing as Nintendo's been raking in more and more money as they hit the "casual gamer" market. Sony and Microsoft already have the hardcore, so if they can get the casual, then yay for money!

Posted: March 13, 2010 2:05 PM
    BaronVonWhittico
  • psykogunner1

WHY SOCOM WHY!

Posted: March 13, 2010 12:46 PM
  • psykogunner1

Why are all thes games using motion control i hate it its so stupid?! I dont want to wave my hands in the air like a maniac after 45 minutes just to shoot someone.

Posted: March 13, 2010 12:46 PM
  • TheyTarget

Hey, Are you guys gonna have to review games twice now. Once in standard, and again in Playstation Move. lol

Posted: March 12, 2010 2:45 AM
    TheyTarget
  • C_Money77

To me, motion control is like Paul Rudd. I see the appeal and I would never take it away from anyone, but I would also never stand in line for it.

Posted: March 11, 2010 5:45 PM
    C_Money77
  • tsep23

MOTION CONTROLLER GUN PLEASE!

Posted: March 11, 2010 4:54 PM
    tsep23
  • Klobb17

Hmm... hopefully the success/fail of the move controls for SOCOM 4 won't be its main selling point. I haven't played a good SOCOM game since number 2 on the PS2. Here's hoping they make the series badass once more.

Posted: March 11, 2010 3:03 PM
    Klobb17
  • Heavenly_King

SOCOM 4 will be awesome!!!!

Posted: March 11, 2010 2:19 PM
    Heavenly_King
  • Grim_Reafer

calm down kids pay attention to what you read like this "don t stress: the game is entirely playable with your Sixaxis or DualShock 3"
    So for Socom vets its ok plus they always have to try something new, no socoms are exactly the same just like Final Fantasies. If theres a problem they'll fix (patch) it and maybe the next game won't have it. Either way you won't know till you try

Posted: March 11, 2010 2:11 PM
    Grim_Reafer
  • Asnoochie1

I just like the idea of having the choice between motion control and the regular gameplay. I huge part of the downside to TH: Ride was that it relied on a peripheral that was unintuitive. Solely by giving people the option of picking up a regular controler if they feel the motion controls are unresponsive gives people that are skeptical more of a reason to try this style of gameplay. If I were a SOCOM fan, I would definitely pick up this wand for the release of this game, purely because I have the knowledge that the risk of poor Move functionality is essentially taken out of the equation. At best this Move thing could greatly enhance HD Gameplay, at worst it will collect dust in between releases until someone harnesses it correctly.

Posted: March 11, 2010 1:53 PM
  • G4 LOVER

all i got to say is we will all have to find out will this be a epic failure or something amazing

Posted: March 11, 2010 1:32 PM
    G4+LOVER
  • Y-A-R-D-Y-420

i dont want to sound like i expect to live in the past ..but what i would like is for zipper to not try to add in all this fancy pants bs in socom...please do your experments on some other game NOT SOCOM..
    we just want next gen graphics with our old controle and advance weapons.
    PLEASE DONT PULL A SLANT SUX ON US .PLEASE THANK YOU .
    R.I.P TOOTALLK200...WISH U WAS HERE FOR THIS SOCOM 4.

Posted: March 11, 2010 1:14 PM
    Y-A-R-D-Y-420
  • Tyger

I don't really understand everyone's fear over Sony doing Motion Control or Microsoft for that matter. These are very large companies, large enough to handle the task of both creating a great game and adding the "option" (important word here people) of using motion control if you'd like. This isn't the wii where every game had to implement that as its only control scheme and therefore shrunk the type and quality of games it could bring out (IMO).

If you perfer SOCOM 4 with the dual shock great. If you like to experiment with motion control on it cool too. You can have your cake and eat it too. Think of it like multiplayer. Some people are really die hard about it but others don't like it at all. If the game offers both and it does it well then you both win. If it fails at one... well there's always Gamestop trade ins.

Posted: March 11, 2010 1:13 PM
    Tyger
  • mikemill

I think I would prefer to play SOCOM 4 with my dual shock, but this is interesting. I actually played Resident Evil 4 on the Wii and that experience was really cool and fun. With Move's superior, more precise motion technology over the Wii, I am definately intrigued.

Posted: March 11, 2010 12:27 PM
    mikemill
  • wutmike

no, please i want to use regular controller.

Posted: March 11, 2010 12:19 PM
    wutmike
  • Kash_Bullets

I agree with Nodrodee....But one thing that would make up for all past mistakes is taking that motion controller (move) and turning it into an M4/m16. A laser for the aiming system buttons on barrel and pistal grip to move side to side ect.....it would make it that much more real.

Posted: March 11, 2010 11:58 AM