Gran Turismo 5 - PS3

Game Description: The Gran Turismo franchise continues with Gran Turismo 5. Experience the thrill of racing in many of the world's most elite cars, all stunningly detailed and expertly crafted. Face off against up to 16 other drivers online, and for the first time in the series' history, see races like never before thanks to the brand new cockpit view.
G4TV Rating
4 / 5
  • Avg User Rating
    (109 Ratings)
    4.2 / 5
  • Rate This Game
Gran Turismo 5 GamesCom 2009 Damage Demo Hands-On
Article_68205

Gran Turismo 5 GamesCom 2009 Damage Demo Hands-On

By Billy Berghammer - Posted Aug 21, 2009

Even though damage is more or less a staple in racing games these days, one major developer has stayed completely away from it – Polyphony Studios. Many would agree that Gran Turismo is the premiere game racing franchise, but since it’s never allowed for it’s cars to become damaged, some fans of the series have become quite jaded.

Gran Turismo creator Kazunori Yamauchi has leaned on the fact that car manufacturers have told him that if he wants their cars included in his game, they can’t take damage – but since many other games for the past few years have all included and often times relished in damage modeling, it’s not an excuse anymore.

So after I interviewed Yamauchi at this year’s GamesCom yesterday (full interview hitting G4tv.com next week!) and he told me the Gran Tursimo 5 demo on the show floor included damage, I was beyond excited. I’m quite the Gran Turismo fan, so I rushed to the floor to get my hands on the demo. Either something was wrong with this demo or Polyphony is barely finished with the damage model for the game– but I walked away shaking my head.

Upon launching from the starting gate, I gained speed and started slamming into other cars, and then slammed into the wall. Nothing. Repeatedly slamming into everything I could it took a few good crashes to see the drivers’ side door open. A few more slams and the passenger side door opened. That was it. Not only that, there were no dents or scratches on the car, either. It also didn’t affect how the car performed after I beat the living snot out of it. I watched someone else playing the game, and I think they loosened up the fender a bit but that’s about it. Hrmpt.

When I get back to the States next week I’ll be looking into this a bit further, because I really came away unimpressed. C’mon, Polyphony, I really hope I was missing something here, because if this is what you consider damage, you’re going to continue to have your fans lose faith in your product.

Including me.

• bigmonstefan

I think that damage modeling is important for the nascar portion of the game, but not for the rest. I don't think that a lot of people realize what they are asking when they say they want realistic damage modeling. The guy that writes on the psxextreme.com blog makes a good point. Even in a short race, if you scrape up against a wall you will need to pit because your not going to finish the race otherwise. It's all much more unforgiving than a lot of people realize. Anything but realistic is just aesthetic. Besides, if your racing right, you won't even need damage modeling.

Posted: August 24, 2009 3:15 PM
    bigmonstefan
  • GamerbyDesign

Let me tell you it is BS if you don't at least scrap on cars.

Posted: August 24, 2009 1:09 PM
    GamerbyDesign
  • thiswillallbeburned

Uh, who crashes anyways? You are all noobs. But seriously I don't think damage is that important. Yea there are racing games out there that provide crash damage, but I still think they're inferior to GT4. I guess it's all based on opinion, but I've been holding off on buying a PS3 until this game game out and now there's the slim.

Posted: August 24, 2009 1:06 PM
    thiswillallbeburned
  • GamerbyDesign

What amazes me is all you people don't care about damage. This series is in its 5 integration and if it want to keep being the premier experience it need to push the envelope. Rendering more care is not innovation. I very realist damage model would be. This is inexcusable for this series. Also the AI drives on the same line. If you guys want to bounce off the AI car that is fine but in racing there is damage and it should affect your cars performance. And its not so much the look as it is the feel.

Posted: August 24, 2009 12:50 PM
    GamerbyDesign
  • jdawghatesyou

jdawghatesyou's comment is abusive and has been removed.

Posted: August 24, 2009 12:16 PM
    jdawghatesyou
  • jdawghatesyou

I agree, I have played and beat every Gran Turismo, and I really cant believe that out of everything possible the one thing that people are nitpicking is god damn damage?! Come on, the series is and will continue to be the greatest racing franchise out there, and if you cant get past that you cant mess up a damn car, then why are you playing a REAL DRIVING SIMULATOR?! Yeah damage CAN be cool, but I could more than do without it, its a give or take for me and I wont loose sleep over it. I WILL but this game and i WILL love every second of it, this game looks fantastic, with or without damage

Posted: August 24, 2009 12:06 PM
    jdawghatesyou
  • R3LF_13

damage is the most overblown thing ever..."the game didn't react realilistcly when I repeatedly slammed into everything I could"

I don't care about damage because I try to race clean and stay clear of walls. actually, the lack of damage in previous GT's was one of the reasons i worked so hard on my race craft--to make the replays look as realilistc as possible.

PD: work on physics models and handleing. people that want to slam into everything can play something else.

Posted: August 24, 2009 11:14 AM
    R3LF_13
  • ElNinjaLoco

Very sad to see PD fall so far behind. The main competition has been Forza, and even Forza 1 had damage simulation.

The worst part about this not that you can't see any good damage (visually), but that you can't even blow out your transmission if you shift down to first gear from 150 MPH. If you recall, Forza 1 also had telemetry, so did Forza 2 and so will Forza 3.

Where is the telemetry in GT5?

It's like Polyphony is just now trying to get the cosmetic stuff right, and the actually simulation side of things is going completely ignored. At this rate, the series will lose a lot of credit with hardcore gamers looking for a serious simulator.

Posted: August 24, 2009 10:35 AM
    ElNinjaLoco
  • autocrat86

Gran Turismo is a classic. Every racing game fan ever has played it at one point in time or another. I loved the game 10 years ago, and I'm sure I'll love it again, damage or no damage. Now all i have to do is get a PS3...thank you price drop!

Posted: August 24, 2009 9:49 AM
    autocrat86
  • cheatingthesystem21

if there is no damage in this game, i'm not buying it

Posted: August 24, 2009 9:16 AM
    cheatingthesystem21
  • Flynfsh

i've got to say, i'd get NFS shift first. its like gran turismo but you can actually customize your car!

Posted: August 24, 2009 8:12 AM
    Flynfsh
  • vinny87

Polyphony said that they aren't finished with the damage yet. Besides i have a strange feeling that they are saving everything for TGS

Posted: August 24, 2009 4:04 AM
    vinny87
  • Erthazus

Actually ofcrourse there will be no big damage. 1000+ cars. Are you serious about damage?

Posted: August 24, 2009 2:00 AM
    Erthazus
  • slain007

WHO THE HELL PLAYS RACING GAMES TO LOOK AT DAMAGE, I PLAY TO WIN.

Posted: August 23, 2009 11:59 PM
    slain007
  • HurricaneGotham

I watched this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =rR8CQxM_LFo from gamersyde and i dont see whats wrong with the damage, Parts fly off, the car spins out, cant keep steady. THe only problems i could see was no broken glass or scuffed paint. I dont know much about cars could someone explain whats wrong?

Posted: August 23, 2009 9:46 PM
    HurricaneGotham
  • TwiztedR3DHead

and the damage better be good too

Posted: August 23, 2009 7:42 PM
    TwiztedR3DHead
  • TwiztedR3DHead

they better made this game worth it

Posted: August 23, 2009 7:41 PM
    TwiztedR3DHead
  • coppakosh05

forza 1 and 2 has damage and 3 will definately have. grid also has. physics are affected in both these titles. i am sure there are other race titles has damage. gt is a great driving sim, but the damage is whats missing to give it 100%, we can only hope it will be included in the full release, when it is finally released

Posted: August 22, 2009 7:13 PM
    coppakosh05
  • Syaieya

I dont mind not having damage, having as many cars as they do is good enough for me.

I just wish they would fish that mess of a penalty system they have in GT5P. I've had races destroyed because I nicked the exit of the turn and got stuck out of gear for half the straight and there are people that plow into me, giving me a collision penalty, and i bounce down into the dirt which gives me a short cut penalty

It's a total mess of a system

Posted: August 21, 2009 10:13 PM
    Syaieya
  • HotActionXD

I hope this game comes out this year

Posted: August 21, 2009 5:01 PM