DC Universe Online - PS3

DC Universe Online
Game Description: DC Universe Online for PS3 is the first project out of Sony Online's Austin studio. This action-based MMO explores the various worlds of DC Comics' superheroes and villains. Key collaborators include comic veterans Jim Lee (who serves as the game's Executive Creative Director), Ale Garza, Carlos D'Anda, and Scott Iwahashi, in addition to EverQuest developers, Chris Cao and Shawn Lord.
G4TV Rating
4 / 5
  • Avg User Rating
    (66 Ratings)
    3.9 / 5
  • Rate This Game
DC Universe Online Preview: From Zero to (Level 10) Hero
Article_73255

DC Universe Online Preview: From Zero to (Level 10) Hero

By Leah Jackson - Posted Jan 04, 2011

Sony Online Entertainment's DC Universe Online is coming out on January 11th, so there's still a bit of time to mess around in the beta. Last time I played with DCUO, we took an extensive look at the opening cutscene, the character creation screen – which was rife with hundreds of possibilities for my avatar's customization – and the first tutorial zone. This time around, however, we took the opportunity to take TRON Girl around Metropolis and up to level 10 with the help of a fellow hero named General Kal.

It seems like leveling in DCUO is based purely on questing, kind of like how Lord of the Rings Online operates. Sure you can grind your way through mobs, but in the end, quests give such better experience. A great thing about DCUO is that once you're out and about in the field questing, your quests automatically update. Instead of killing ten bad guys and then flying back to the quest giver, it automatically updates saying you've completed the quest and you can even receive the reward out in the field as well.

DC Universe Online

That said, the quests in the game at this low level did not seem to have much variety. Most quests instructed you to kill 10-20 things, and collect the items they drop. A few quests had you interacting with various items, but other than these objectives, all of the quests were pretty much the same, albeit located in different areas. Once you completed a few quests in a chain, however, you’re told to travel to a secret lair for another boss fight. We got to partner up with another player named General Kal and did a fun quest chain about Gorilla Men and their leader, Grodd. First we had to kill umpteen gorillas over and over, after which we journeyed to Grodd's lair to meet up with The Flash and attempt to finish off their leader.

Grouping in DCUO works great. You and your group members share quest objectives and can help each other on missions. But if you're not in a group and two people are killing the same mob, that's okay too. If you help someone kill anything in DCUO, then you both get credit for that kill. Meaning, tagging mobs first to get the kill credit is not an issue, which is not only nice, but also leads to cooperative (instead of competitive) play.

DC Universe

Additionally, DCUO includes a flight mini-game in which you must fly through a predetermined amount of rings in a certain amount of time. You get experience based on how quickly you finish, and there are three ranks, platinum being the highest. You actually get a decent amount of experience from this, and it's very fun, but you can only do it one time for experience once you've reached platinum.

Generally, leveling our way to level 10 was actually pretty fun, but having played on a PC, it seems as though the game would have fared much better on the PS3. First off, there is no cursor on the PC version of the game, meaning it's kind of hard to change and manuever your camera like you can in every other MMORPG. Not only that, but you can't hover over quest objectives or your minimap either,; you have to physically go into the quest menu or the map menu. Not a dealbreaker, but a minor inconvenience for sure. Additionally, the combos for your skills seem like they would make much more sense on a controller given the timed presses required to pull off various moves.

DC Universe

There was an overall feeling that the game failed to achieve any real level of innovation. It felt very "grindy" in its quest design; graphically it looked a lot like City of Heroes; and even the character customization, which we loved, did not offer as much variety as City of Heroes. It's nice that you can fight alongside the real superheroes, like The Flash and Superman, but in the end, the overall repetitiveness in the first few levels was not enough to keep someone who plays a lot of MMOs (and not a super huge DC Comics fan) hooked. It feel as if you're a casual player who's not used to (or doesn't like) other MMORPGs,  you will truly enjoy this MMO. It's not "the next great thing", but it will definitely give you a good time, especially if you're playing on a console.

Bear in mind, the game is still in beta for another week. A lot can change in that time. We didn't get into the world PvP or the watchtower material, but stay tuned for that in the coming review.

• LyvGamer

It's is my first MMO ever and i'm glad its with DCUO! Took me awhile to learn how to play, navigate the menus and understand what they mean.Now that I know how to do all my upgrades and to find missions this game is really fun now. I live out in the country where they only offer 8 megs of internet and I have yet had any lag or get disconnected off there server. $15 a month may sound like a lot but if you break it down 30days in month thats 50 cents a day to play on a flawless network. If you crying about 50 cents a day, Then you got some serious problems in life and get a better job!

PS.. DC I would like a DLC to drive the batmobile,batwing or even go to the batcave THANKS!!

Posted: January 17, 2011 1:08 PM
  • CPants

I really want to see the review for this game before i make a decision on it but i'll probably just wait for TOR anyway.

Posted: January 16, 2011 3:47 PM
    CPants
  • se7ensyn

I was all set to get DCUO, but the 15 dollar a month fee on top of paying 60 dollars for the PS3 game is kind of a joke to me. I will admit it looks like a great game but, I'm not willing to pay out that much money for a game.

Posted: January 16, 2011 6:43 AM
    se7ensyn
  • ddevil

Been giving it a try since it came out. I like it. It is hard to put it down. It's like playing Batman: Arkham Asylum meets X-Men: Legends (if you remember that one) meets WoW in a DC World. It has been a lot of fun to play. I would say it is a solid 4 out 5. If the game ends up with a strong end game I would give it a 5 out 5.

Posted: January 14, 2011 11:44 PM
  • SixOwe

i just got this game and itz pretty awesome but it takes up 2 much space on my hardrive and i have a 80gb ps3

Posted: January 13, 2011 1:38 PM
  • SixOwe

i just got the game and itz pretty good but what kills it is the simple fact that i have the 80gb ps3 and this game takes up 16gb.

Posted: January 13, 2011 1:35 PM
  • kanabo master

THIS GAME IS ADDICTIVE ,lol

Posted: January 11, 2011 4:56 PM
    kanabo+master
  • kanabo master

THIS GAME IS LIKE VISUAL INTERACTIVE CRACK,lol

Posted: January 11, 2011 4:55 PM
    kanabo+master
  • kanabo master

DCUO DCUO DCUO DCUO DCUO DCUO

Posted: January 10, 2011 5:55 PM
    kanabo+master
  • Ghostcamel

I had no problems controlling the camera. But since you were trying to play DCUO with another game's camera system, i can understand why you were confused.

I had problems with the targeting(and the devs are working on it), but since you only played to level ten you didnt really get to the tougher content. You had the easy clickfest combat and called that a preview.

Maybe you shouldve gotten into Beta sooner. That way you couldve given a better preview than the average Beta tester who knows about 10x more than you about the combat system.

Weak preview G4.

Posted: January 10, 2011 2:10 AM
    Ghostcamel
  • Bishop@austin.rr.com

Come on. Do you really play MMO's seriously? I can't believe the last paragraph. You need to spend more time with this and other MMOS before saying something as uncreditied as you have. Having worked on UO (Origin) and played just about every MMO as hardcore as you can (3 lvl 85 WoW toons, 7 level 80s - level cap toons in LOTRO, COH, AOC and Warhammer) one of the things that makes DCUO so good is HOW MANY unqiue and next get features it introduces.
    - First it beats SWTOR to market with full professional voice all throughout
    - Second it handles open world tags ina unique way, giving all players credit versus the fight over you get in all other games
    - Its open world with virtual no loading screens except for small instance based gameplay
    - Story based multi-link questing system with auto renewals is very nice and innovative
    - In game character style accessorizer is a step up from the costumes LOTRO introduced

These are just on the surface. The unique action style combat and fully integrated combo system make the game even more differentiated.

This is the worst preview of any major pub I've seen. You guys have zero credibility

Posted: January 9, 2011 7:58 PM
    Bishop%40austin.rr.com
  • Neverrain

The game exceeded all of my expectations for this Action MMORPG. I had the pleasure of participating in the PS3 Beta version of DCUO that ended Wednesday with a bang and this game is top notch! I reserved mine back in October and will be collecting it day one. My character's name is ..........wait......I think I will keep that to myself just incase I have to recreate my hero again. Original names go too quickly............lol

Posted: January 9, 2011 12:30 PM
    Neverrain
  • kanabo master

DC UNIVERSE JAN.11TH 2011...THIS TUESDAY....SUPPORT THIS MY PS BRETHREN...ALSO,DOWN WITH XBOTZ,lol

Posted: January 9, 2011 11:07 AM
    kanabo+master
  • aghenor

Heyy I saw that character while i was playing the beta! TRON girl!!! i remember you! jaajaj My name was Aghenor and i see you one time in the meta wing of the watch tower on the side where is super girl! jajaja xD

Posted: January 8, 2011 5:18 PM
  • T30

here is some pvp from a guy in my guild.

http://www.youtube.com/watch ?v=XziGdEOuIbo

Posted: January 7, 2011 11:40 PM
    T30
  • kanabo master

Each ability has multiple power trees ,so that comment is A BOLD LIE.G4 is trying to ignore this title,but that wont happen XBOTZ......PS ROYALTY DEMANDS THIS........BEHOLD DC UNIVERSE ONLINE JAN.11TH 2011.........PS GLORY!!!!!!!...........lol

Posted: January 6, 2011 6:47 PM
    kanabo+master
  • DrowNoble

PC gameplay is better if you use a controller. It's definately a button-mashing console game ported to a PC. I have to agree that the game is very repetative, although fans of DC will get a kick out of fighting alongside (and against) signature heroes/villains. Plus, after you complete a story arc, the game gives you a drawn comic cut-scene which was rather nice. Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamil do the voiceovers for Batman and Joker respectively.

Customization options are rather lacking, both for powers and costume. Regardless of what you pick, one button is "melee" other is "ranged" attack to start. There are only 3 travel powers: flight, superspeed and acrobatics. The last is rather quirky at times to manuever as the camera sometimes goes nuts trying to figure out where you are when you're climbing over objects.

If you're a DC fan who's never played CoH or CO, then you'll probably enjoy this game. Otherwise I'd pass unless SOE decided to make it f2p or, at least, no subscription like GW.

Posted: January 6, 2011 1:51 PM
    DrowNoble
  • avellar

I had a much better time playing on the PS3 over the PC. Story is cool and the graphics are nice but over all the guts of the game left me wanting more. Lack of power choices, areas to travel too, and a bit linear quest system made it hard to for me to really like this game over all.

I like playing as a tanker and even after getting leveled up and getting some good gear I still didn't feel that "heroic". The armor system works great but for a game based on heroes I would have like to seen the powers carry more of the damage vs the armor. But yeah, the beta was still fun and maybe down the line I'll give it a try again but for now I'm gonna pass.

Posted: January 6, 2011 9:11 AM
    avellar
  • kanabo master

MartyMar82=WOW Fanboy.....lmao......DC UNIVERSE ONLINE JAN.11TH 2011

Posted: January 6, 2011 8:35 AM
    kanabo+master
  • martymar82

Lame, played the beta for a couple of weeks and was already getting bored. I really wanted to enjoy this but I dont see myself sinking hours everyday into this game. I'll wait till this game hits the bargain bin at my work

Posted: January 6, 2011 8:24 AM