DC Universe Online - PS3

DC Universe Online
Game Description: DC Universe Online for PS3 is the first project out of Sony Online's Austin studio. This action-based MMO explores the various worlds of DC Comics' superheroes and villains. Key collaborators include comic veterans Jim Lee (who serves as the game's Executive Creative Director), Ale Garza, Carlos D'Anda, and Scott Iwahashi, in addition to EverQuest developers, Chris Cao and Shawn Lord.
G4TV Rating
4 / 5
  • Avg User Rating
    (66 Ratings)
    3.9 / 5
  • Rate This Game
E3 2010: DC Universe Online Hands-On Preview
Article_70918

E3 2010: DC Universe Online Hands-On Preview

By Patrick Klepek - Posted Jun 04, 2010

We've been waiting a long time for Sony Online Entertainment to deliver DC Universe Online. The company has been letting people go hands-on with the superhero MMO at Comic-Con every year, but whenever someone (read: me) asked about a release date, they were met with silence. At some point, you have to wonder if something went wrong. Is it ever coming out? Thankfully, the answer's yes. DC Universe Online is coming this November. (And yes, it's November 2010).

I've been keeping a keen eye on DC Universe Online for a very specific reason: I don't like MMOs. For one, they're a timesink and I'm someone who moves from one game to the next every few weeks. And while I've admittedly only tried a few of them -- EverQuest II was the sole MMO I dumped a serious amount of time in to and came away bitter from the experience -- the reason they've failed to connect with me in any meaningful way is your detachment from combat. You click and things happen, then wait for the thing to "cool down," then click it again. Repeat.

DC Universe Online has promised to alter that mechanic in a meaningful way, and at a pre-E3 event in Los Angeles, I got to see -- and play -- with what they're proposing as the game reaches the final stretch of development. DC Universe Online isn't really about ditching what we've come to know about MMO combat, but when you press punch, that punch happens in real time. Or jump. Or kick. Or press them together and start stringing together combos. There's no cool down, no waiting. It's not melee combat on the level of something like Devil May Cry, but in moments, I felt more engaged with the on-screen action than I've been with any other MMO. Outside of melee, DC Universe Online plays more like a traditional MMO -- yes, with cool downs and all. Simply having melee feel dynamic and real-time, however, went a long way with me.

The combat's enhanced by the game's real world physics, too. I was given a chance to run through a Harley Quinn dungeon a few times. Each instance was a little different, as my character could push several balls around the environment to inflict additional damage to enemies, making combat more random than usual. I'm curious to see where else physics pop up.

Unfortunately, character creation, a big part of why people want to play DC Universe Online, wasn't present in the pre-E3 demo. I was instead shown several kinds of characters and assured that while players won't be able to play as the main heroes, a la Batman, you can start character creation with at Batman "foundation" (meaning all his skills and abilities) and modify from there.

It's possible my experience was also colored by playing with a Sixaxis controller. DC Universe Online is coming to both PC and PlayStation 3 in November, as planned. Technically, I was playing the game on a PC with a Sixaxis attached via USB, but a producer told me the game was designed from the ground up to work perfectly either through a Sixaxis or a mouse and keyboard. In fact, DC Universe Online will switch control methods on the fly if it suddenly detects a Sixaxis.

DC Universe Online

Whether PlayStation 3 and PC users can ultimately play together hasn't been decided just yet.

DC Universe Online may be the first MMO I give a legitimate shot in years. That should speak volumes about where Sony Online Entertainment's headed, especially if you share my concerns.

• hotrod 127

whos your fav villion or hero???????

Posted: June 14, 2010 9:05 PM
    hotrod+127
  • JMason1984

This and Star Wars the Old Republic are the only MMOs I'm willing to try.

Posted: June 7, 2010 4:16 PM
  • marcusdjackson

im hopping for the best.

Posted: June 7, 2010 12:50 PM
  • cloudsblood

This game looks awesome, I am hoping this will be my new MMO home, since City of Heroes has died and Champions Online never lived. I see a few people saying this looks worse than Champions, obviously blind people learned how to use a computer, just hope they dont start driving.

Posted: June 6, 2010 10:43 PM
    cloudsblood
  • DrowNoble

There is no other game like this he said. Uh, never heard of City of Heroes or Champions Online? I know this guy is supposed to be hyping DC Online but geez don't try to pretend you're the 1st company to do a superhero mmo.

Gonna wait and see about this. Read reviews and listen to word of mouth after it comes out.

Posted: June 6, 2010 7:20 PM
    DrowNoble
  • Moral issue

With all these mmos coming out in the near future im not sure which one im going to pick. they all look so good(dcuo, apb, swtor) But this game definitely blows champions out of the water.

Posted: June 6, 2010 7:40 AM
    Moral+issue
  • rodwoo

I will definitely check this game out. It looks awesome! Who to create? My own Superman, Batman or Flash... Or Green Lantern

Posted: June 5, 2010 2:19 PM
    rodwoo
  • OutlawFirebird

He said Apokolips, then said darkseid right after. he was saying the homeworld of darkseid.

Posted: June 5, 2010 1:24 PM
    OutlawFirebird
  • autofaux

I'm just hoping there's a beta.

Posted: June 5, 2010 6:14 AM
  • SchoolBoyReggin

please please please dont do what champions did and dont put out the console verson

Posted: June 4, 2010 8:10 PM
    SchoolBoyReggin
  • Knyght

I must admit the game looks good. Jim Lee is my favorite comic artist of all time, I wish he does more work on other games too.

Posted: June 4, 2010 7:51 PM
    Knyght
  • bigmanpace

With the ability to make your hero or villian have the same powers of other well known heros, just imagine making your own Kryptonian just like Superman, or your own Green Lantern who works with the Green Lantern Corp.. This is gonna be so nice. Can't wait.

Posted: June 4, 2010 7:23 PM
    bigmanpace
  • Littlebigthreat

Uh-oh! He mentioned Apocalypse! That's a Marvel property, get him!

Looks really, really fun. Hoping this is an MMO that can connect my PC playing friends to me, the PS3 owner.

Posted: June 4, 2010 5:39 PM
    Littlebigthreat
  • Keefer21

Very old game footage they used for this interview! Check out DCUO on Facebook more up to date there. http://www.gametrailers.com/vi deo/e3-2010-dc-universe/100700

http://www.facebook.com/prof ile.php?id=1397750109#!/DCUniv erseOnline

Posted: June 4, 2010 4:59 PM
  • MXavier17

I really hope this game is good

Posted: June 4, 2010 4:39 PM
    MXavier17
  • Bigsbie

While I can't wait to create my beloved Superman double... I really hope that character reactions/animations flow a lot better that what I just saw. It looked like two girls slapping the crap out of each other and nothing happening to the other. I want to super punch someone in the gut and watch them double over in pain... or go flying through a wall.
    This supposed to be in HD as well. If it's all scaled down just to run multiple textures on multiple platforms (i.e. PC/PS3)... then I would rather a console exclusive that looks as good as the Batman GOY PS3 version. Please dont dash my childhood fantasy with cheap tricks SOE! Please?!

Posted: June 4, 2010 4:23 PM
    Bigsbie
  • deusex2

LOL Kalu! Don't go showing your pic everywhere on the net:)

Posted: June 4, 2010 4:16 PM
    deusex2
  • pixelmonkey

Champions does look better - that game has come a long way since launch.
    Still might check this out when it launches.

Posted: June 4, 2010 4:10 PM